Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first used 911 (2006-2007) and have some questions, especially for CA guys.

- Would you consider buying a car that started life outside CA, knowing that you may have possible problems down the line passing smog tests?

- Would you buy a 2006-2007 without documentation regarding the IMS and or RMS fixes?

- Is 20,000 miles on a 2006 actually too low, the theory being it probably sat for extended periods of time, which may not be good?

- Has anyone purchased a 2006-2007 from a used car dealer and gotten the extended warranty that expressly covers the IMS / RMS issues?

Thanks. RJ

·
Registered
832 Posts
In order:
Yes, I believe 06, 07 cars built for the US all have the same smog equipment. It should not be a problem.
For me probably not. If the car had plenty of miles on it and I could get an analysis of the oil then I would consider buying it. Otherwise, not so much.
20K miles in 10 years would not bother me at all. As long as the rest of the car was consistent with those low miles. i.e. interior looks very fresh and paint looks spectacular.
Can't answer that question. I've bought an 07 CS but it was from a dealer and was CPO so not applicable to your situation.
Personally I'd get a PPI from a reputable inspector, preferable from a Porsche dealer if they were willing and you could afford it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought my '07 with 2,000 2014, so it was clearly not driven much, but it was CPO'd. I agree that the smog should be fine unless there have been any mods done...good thing to check. I now have almost 40K on my car with no issues. IMS is the boogey man...my mechanic says the '07 and later were solid and not do the mods, so if your oil is clean you could be just fine if you are not tracking the car. Be sure to check the age of the tires...if they are old (>5 years), plan to get new ones even if you have tread...rubber gets hard with age and new will handle much better. I didn't do that when I bought the car so had to pop for tires after I had it for awhile.
Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.