Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks -

I've been lurking for a few weeks and thought I would introduce myself. I picked up my 2010 Cayman 2 weeks ago and have put about 400 miles on it. Its black on black and I hope to post a few pics soon, I am NOT a photog. I'm lucky enough to currently live in Upper bucks county where it seems many people come to drive around the curvy country roads, which is one of the few redeeming factors of living here. Originally from LI, NY and lived in the Boston area for a while and then Pittsburgh and now here. I am an avid flyfisher and flytyer, my other car is a 2010 E350 4-matic luxury edition. I previously had a BMW 3 series and loved the sporty driving, but hated the dental work causing suspension from the sports suspension, etc. So I got the Benz and then missed the sporty driving, so I picked up the Cayman (I have wanted a Porsche for a while and finally got spousal approval). I'm looking forward to engaging more with you folks and maybe getting together on one of the rides, etc.

Best,
Greg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome fellow PA Cayman! :drivingskid:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats on the Cayman...
Got the wife's "approval" did ya?
Wait till she finds all the receipts for mods and misc...
Or are you gonna get her "approval" on those too?:hilarious:
My wife got the receipt from Tire Rack in the mail.
I had already paid for them and had them shipped to an installer. Came home one day and she said...
"So... how are your new tires?" :eek:

Again... Congrats and enjoy!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
another PA guy...welcome to the club....hey check out our up and coming wine dinner in PA the end of next month

ummm and post some pictures will ya...

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Greetings and welcome from Lancaster County, PA. There are a number of us this way. I hope you have along and happy ownership.:cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys! So I took my new car for the first longish ride today to upstate NY and ended up with a rock in the windshield! What a bummer. Will need to deal with this next week. Any opinions on replacing the windshield vs getting it repaired?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
OUCH! Sorry to hear about that. For whatever reason our windshields are rock magnets.

Is it a chip or crack? I have multiple chips, the largest being 1/8" right in my line of sight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Pete -

Thanks for the response, its a chip with a crack less then the size of the dime and it way over on the passenger side (luckily). I'll hold my breathe to see if it spreads.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome to the "Club" it is a nice place to be.

Anything less than the size of a dollar bill can be repaired, usually the insurance company will do this free of charge. Contact your agent. My 08, new in September 09, has several chips. It is only the first of many you will get no sense replacing every little glass chip...Cover it with tape or something to keep moisture out the repair will be more successful if no moisture gets in the crack.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil -

That is great news and good tip, I'm going to put some tape on there now. I would prefer to get it patched rather then replaced. My agent is a car guy and I'll give him a ring.

Best,
Greg

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If the chip is small and unlikely to spread ignore it. I had several small chips within days of picking up my new CS recently, and was actually relieved to get it over with. If you are going to drive and enjoy a car,small dings are inevitable. Enjoy!:cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's how I felt, it was a relief to get it over with. Its more then a chip and is a bit cracked, that's why I'm worried. I did just come back from taking my wife on her first drive in it, we are up in the Adirondacks and it was an awesome ride. Some of the roads are not the smoothest and it handled lovely, wife was happy that it wasn't the BMW bone-jaring experience. Though she wasn't sure what to make of the 2 attractive young ladies that came up in the 911 convertible and waved exuberantly. :helpme:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys! So I took my new car for the first longish ride today to upstate NY and ended up with a rock in the windshield! What a bummer. Will need to deal with this next week. Any opinions on replacing the windshield vs getting it repaired?
If it is just a chip or maybe only a small crack and not a creeping crack yet, get it repaired, they use some type of filler to strengthen the area. I failed to do it and have a crack that will require a replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts