Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is a 987.2 Cayman with Sound Package Plus.

I'm looking to replace my PCM 3.0 head unit (which is running firmware v2.24). I've seen a lot of models and unsure which one to get. The fit guide on Pioneer's website doesn't give too much of any idea of what size I should look for.
I'm mainly looking one for updated navigation maps, as well as looking more modern. The audio in the car isn't too bad and I'm fine with it for now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I replaced my 987.1 PCM 2.1 with a Kenwood eXcelon head unit (and amp to bypass the Bose amp). This gave me Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Navigation integration with my phone, streaming music through my phone. Basically, it gave me tight integration with my phone for most functionality. I also put in a backup camera. I also got HD radio and I think I can add a Sat radio receiver if I wanted.

Generally, I think any head unit that can get you Apple Carplay and Android Auto will be useful. Even the cheap Chinese units are basically Android tablets with custom interfaces to your car. Some of the other apps I've seen added to those are ODBII integration for enhanced instrumentation and data logging.

Most stereo shops also have mounting kits for your car and can match the Porsche finish. These are basically double-DIN sizes and just need a trim piece to match the interior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, also another question. Is it safe to assume that the lever for PCM on the steering column won't work with anything else?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Correct, any information your display received from the PCM will now just be blank. I can still run my Chrono stopwatch but I lost the ability to save times. Lost Nav info too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have Bose? If so, you need an adapter as the Bose system has its own amplifier and uses optical interconnect from the radio head to the amplifier. Check this out: https://cai-store.com/collections/997-987-porsche-audio-upgrades/products/hur-997-porsche-radio-replacement-module

It says it keeps your steering wheel controls. I have not done this (yet) so I can't speak to the quality or installation difficulty. There are a few threads on here about using the MOST system (the Bose adapter).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have Bose, but sound package plus. I haven't found that much information regarding head unit replacements involving SPS (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?)

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's nothing special about replacing the sound plus system. Get the headunit you want (with line level output), the wiring harness and an adapter for the RCA output and you're good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts