Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm been lurking for a while and currently drive a BMW but have always wanted a Porsche. A 911 has been my dream car since I was a little kid and finally, I'm in the information gathering stage so that I can purchase my first Porsche within the next year.

I drove the 981 Cayman today and absolutely fell in love with the handling and the sound. However, I saw a listing for a 09 911CS for around the same price and I'm very conflicted. Anyone have the patience to offer some opinions here? Specifically, I'm asking about the 981 Cayman vs. 997 911CS. Thank you and I hope to get to know you all better throughout my researching period :cheers:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You'll need to ask in the 997 area as well, for a balanced view (pro tip: Rennlist is usually better for 911-related topics, while Planet9 is better for the mid-engine two-seaters). I think most people who hang around here would say that the 981 platform is a long way ahead of the 997 platform in most respects.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The best advice is to drive them both. I was undecided between a 997 and a 987 and after driving both examples I decided on the Cayman as it suited my driving style more. We are all different though so try both and that should help with your decision.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
A couple of years ago when I had my 06 CS I drove a friend's 08 911 Carrera S. I was surprised it had the same dated interior as my 06. Yes it was faster, but it felt larger, and did not make me wish I had one instead of the Cayman. (It also made me realize I did not want PDK.)

If your option is a new 981 vs used 997, I would definitely go for the 981 and build it just the way you want.

Reactions: mit13

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
+1 on comments to drive them both. A 911 drives differently with the lump in the back vs a Cayman or Boxster with the lump mid positioned. It does not make either better or worse, it just is what you like. For me, having raced Go Karts starting several years before I even had a driver's license, I am pre-disposed to the feel of rotation in the small of my back delivered by the Cayman/Boxster. But, that is just me.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
I too was drawn by the 911 allure and so I looked at a 991 CPO, it was a base and not an S though.

a 997S will be quite different than a 991 base

it does depend on what you are looking for, if it's the joy of driving I would say you'd be hard pressed to beat a 981S, but if the 911 cache means a lot to you that might be the way to go

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...376-so-i-test-drove-cpo-991-a.html#post964553

·
Registered
204 Posts
The somewhat dated interior in the 997 would bother me. I debated moving from a 981 to a 991S and ended up keeping the 981. Drive both, but (aside from being underpowered) the 981 is an excellent car. I preferred the size of the Cayman, the snug interior and the slightly more (subjectively) appealing exterior. The 911 certainly has lots going for it as well.

Reactions: mit13

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think it depends ultimately on your end use goals and financial means. Are you looking for a cool daily driver? Do you intend to use on track? If money is no object, get the one that gives you the most visceral pleasure and enjoy. I always wanted a 911 as well, but couldn't justify what the costs were for one secondhand. I bought a brand new 981 that I ordered to my exact wants. While that experience was awesome on a bucket list level, I've since become more educated on all matters Porsche and no longer have the same prejudice against buying used. My only regret, and I'm slowly getting over it, is a hesitance to take my shiny and sparkly gorgeous expensive toy on the track. Had I bought secondhand, I'd probably be more inclined to race with reckless abandon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome! I'm a recent convert from lurker to member. Lots of great info here. I was in a similar position to you. Dreamt of a Porsche since I was young. Had the 911 posters and everything :). Was looking for a used car and thought I was looking at a 996 911 cab. Test drove a couple of them. Found them to be very comfortable, powerful, more a GT car than sports car. The dealer had a certified 981 boxster. Took that for a drive and noticed it was quite different. First the 996 interior was not my cup of tea. Not as premium as I would expect for a car in this class. This is not really a concern in the 997 as the interior is much improved. What really sold me was the experience. Something about having a flat 6 right behind you. The mechanical sounds add to the experience. The ride seems a bit firmer, more raw to me. I ended up going back and finalizing the purchase on my 981.

With that said, when my wife and I start a family, I can see making a switch to the 911 for the added seats. Then many years down the road, I'll probably go back to the current 981 variant of the time:)

good luck with your search and most importantly, have fun.

TJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey y'all, thanks for the kind replies. I got to drive the 997 today and I gotta agree with everyone about the driving style - it is way different. I think I prefer the 981 in how well it responds when I throw it into corners and just the stability in knowing exactly how the car is going to react every time. Also the interior was a big factor as well...since this is going to be a daily driver, I do appreciate the new interior of the 981. I'm going to keep looking around to see my options but as of right now, I'm head over heels for the 981 :burnout:

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
As others have said I'd suggest spending time driving both. The more time the better. The current routine of a 20 min on ramp, freeway run and off ramp might cut it for a minivan but doesn't cut it for cars like this. Doesn't work for the M cars either but that's another story. Dealer might balk at many miles on a new car but they should have a demo where it won't matter, or a similar used car.

I don't find either car better, just different. The back seats are pretty useless for all but very small children, briefcases etc. They do give more front seat freedom however. An example of things that come out when spending time with the cars.

Porsche has an app called Good to Know. Might help answer some questions.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What I wanted was a Cayman, not "a Porsche", so I never bothered looking very hard at 911's of any type. The wife did ask why we weren't looking at 911's and I had a few of the usual answers to that. The 911 would also have been about +$30k for nothing in particular.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
btwyx - I too have been looking for a Cayman, not "a Porsche". The 997 happened to pop up at my local dealer and he called me about it which sparked this whole debate. I'm glad I got to drive them and see the differences though

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was totally stuck on buying a 911 of some description.

Went to my local P dealer with what I thought was my perfect used 911, when I got there it had just sold. Sales guy threw me the keys to a Cayman, I had never considered. In my case it was an ego thing, as Jeremy Clarkson once said, Coxters are for those who couldn't quite afford a 911. But after driving the Cayman, was able to swallow my ego and after nearly 3 years I know it was a great decision.

As others have said better than me, they are two totally different cars that share the same parent. Regarding the ego thing, only my Porsche friends know the difference between the 911 & Cayman. Most of he non-Porche world think a Cayman might be a new 911-some are confused its not a big 4x4 (Cayenne).
Machog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Machog- how have you liked it in the past 3 years? Do you use it as a DD? I'm buying mine with the purpose of driving it every day so I'm curious to what your experience has been.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My advice is always the same, do you need the backseats? If not, then get the 981. The 997 is a great car, I still love mine. But the 981 feels lighter, drives better, more composed, update interior, it's easier to drive fast, just so much going for it. However my 997 attracts a lot more attention, maybe it's the huge wing in the back. I get more people taking out their phones to snap pictures. People driving really fast and crazy to get to my side to give me a thumps up and compliments.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mit13, its been a flawless car, one TPS replaced under warranty. One set of tires. I put about 8k a year on and its a daily driver. One door ding so far, that I had fixed for $500.00!!. It sits for 3 months every year while I'm on a boat in Gulf Islands Canada on a 600mamp charger, so far battery has held up. I'm expecting it will need a new one soon. Its sits in a non a/c'd garage during the hottest part of the AZ summer and that's tough on any battery. Body work, interior have all held up very well, no real signs of wear and tear. I get it serviced with all the Porsche recommendations.

Would buy another in a heart beat, but don't like the new "electric hand brake" or the gas saving stop start feature. Plus Porsche is starting to 'grow' the car and it my view spoiling the original concept. Having said that I'm not a total purist, LOVE the PDK, without doubt the best transmission out there-including the exotics Italian and other German offerings.

Machog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts