Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally joined your forum and this is my first post. Been a Porsche owner for a longtime starting with a 87 944 turbo. I currently have 3 P-cars. 88 944 turbo S, 2002 986S and 2008 987 S PDE2. I've been mainly in the 987 or 951 forum in Rennlist or Babblers. Traffic in the 987 forum on Rennlist seems to be low so hopefully there's more traffic here.

Hopefully I can contribute here as well as learn from all of you.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
woo hoo!! welcome! You'll feel right at home on P9, as there is plenty of mid-engine traffic here.

get familiar with all the tabs and links, read the threads that catch your attetnion and by all means, don't be shy. no one bites and no question is unimportant.

Tell us, where are you from, how did you find Planet 9 and i'd love to know what special about your P-car collection?

hint, hint.. i have a '44 too!! (love driving my '44 on the track)
and my boxster s is ok, too, but he only comes out on sunday's.

:banana:

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Welcome aboard! I'm usually not a big fan of white rims on white cars (just a personal preference) but yours do look very good:cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell us, where are you from, how did you find Planet 9 and i'd love to know what special about your P-car collection?

hint, hint.. i have a '44 too!! (love driving my '44 on the track)
and my boxster s is ok, too, but he only comes out on sunday's.
Updated my profile so it now shows my signature and location. Heard of planet nine from 987 forum on Rennlist on a threadd titled "Why is this forum QUITE"

Good to know there are other 944 owner here. 944's have been one of my favorite Porsche for a longtime. Since it was introduced. When the 944 turbo came out I knew I had to have one but at that time I was still young and raising my family and could not afford one. I finally managed to purchase one in 1993 and have owned one since. I currently have the 88 turbo S.

I've always liked the Boxster since introduction but I didn't really pursue one untill I drove my brother Boxster. He had a 2003 base Boxster with a Tip. Hearing that exhaust tone and driving the top down made me fell in love with the car and I knew then I had to have one. It took several more years before I was able to purchase one since my kids were still in College and than on to Med school. In late 2006 I managed to buy the 986 S for my wife and she demanded an Automatic. We both loved the car but I was sort of disaapointed since it was a Tip.

I had no plans on buying the PDE2 till I drove a friends RS60. Wow what a car. The 6 spd and Power bump and sport exhaust really made a difference on this car. I wanted one so I started to search for one. During the search I remembered the Design Edition 2 and have never seen one on the road. It seems to have been forgotten from the press or even the public. Turns out its basically a RS60 so I started to look for one. I slao found out there's only 32 of these models in the US and 18 in Canada. After reading that I really wanted one and this past winter was probably the best time to get one as dealers were offering huge discount on them. That's all it took. I purchased it on Dec 24 from a dealer in PA and had it shipped to Ca. Been loving it since.

Here's some pics.
Picasa Web Albums - Efren - Top Down
Picasa Web Albums - Efren - 2-14-10
Picasa Web Albums - Efren - Porsches

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard! I'm usually not a big fan of white rims on white cars (just a personal preference) but yours do look very good:cheers:
Thanks. At first I didn't like the idea of white wheels. But the more I looked at the car before purchasing it I grew to like it. Now it just stands out. I can't beleive the attention I get while driving it. Definitely more attention than the 986 S. Probably the color combo.

White wheels is definitely hard to keep clean. I've driven barely 300 niles and have had to clean it three times.

Luckily it's a garage queen and only driven on nice days and weekends.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
wow! another growler!! i hear ya' on that note..
my "baby" a is growler also. never listen to the radio and even with the top up the growl is music to my ears...

and your white wheel look fantastic!!

even my two-tone gtsilver wheels need frequent cleaning..
it's part of the pampering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly. I hardly ever listen to the radio when I'm driving the boxster. I love that growl. It's music to my ears when I hear it.

Now that I have a Sport Exhaust button I use that more than the radio.

·
Registered
874 Posts
cas951 , nice set of P-cars and welcome! I wondered about the white sport design wheels on the PDE2. I see from your post that they require more frequent cleaning.
Are they more difficult to clean?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome Cas. Definitely more 987 traffic here than on rennlist. It was a good source of info when I was considering a 944. Still may acquire one someday.

Be sure to check out the West region section. There are a few upcoming drives.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site. You have some nice rides there.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Welcome to this site! I have regular Sports design wheels they look great, but they are a pain to clean.

Please comment on driving the 944 Turbo S compared to the Cayman S. We are mostly car lovers. They just happen to be Porsche some of the times.

For me it has been my first Porsche, (since 2006) , and it has been a lot of fun. I have learned to track in this car and I love it. I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for welcoming me here. Seems to have a lot of friendly members here.

Those white wheels are definitely hard to keep clean. Drive it once and the brake dust begins to show. Luckily I enjoy pampering them. My wife even comments that they are cleaned more often than they are driven.

I haven't tracked any of these cars. Mainly driven on gatherings and weekend drives. As far as the 987 vs turbos S, different animals altogether. Only similarity is handling as both are well balanced. The turbo definitely feels dated compared to the 987. Lots of turbo lag specially if driven on short straights. It definitely needs room to strech it's legs and this is where it shines. Once above 3300 rpm is where it shines and makes you smile. I now handle this car as a classic. The 987 is an awesome machine all around compared to the turbo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome Cas. Definitely more 987 traffic here than on rennlist. It was a good source of info when I was considering a 944. Still may acquire one someday.

Be sure to check out the West region section. There are a few upcoming drives.
Hey Dare, I definitely attend the drives. I'm in Santa Clara and attend several of these events but I'm also in LA a lot. At least twice a month on weekends. This limits my time driving my cars and my cars are not daily driven. Where in LA are you. My dughter is in Manhattan Beach and my Son in law also has a 03 986 S.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
White wheels is definitely hard to keep clean. I've driven barely 300 miles and have had to clean it three times.
Ive discovered that PCCB Ceramic brakes make virtually no dust or dirt mess. After 3000kms Ive hardy had to clean them! BONUS!!! :)

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Your car looks great. Nice stablemates, too.

Welcome to P9...I guess that is what we are calling it now? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Planet-9 was formerly the Cayman Club and so you'll find the largest collection of Cayman (and a lot of Boxster) owners on here.

Don't spend too much time on here otherwise you'll find yourself buying mods even if you didn't think you wanted them ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
This is a wonderful site. While designing and awaiting delivery of my new Cayman S I lurked and posted on this site and now consider myself quite knowledgeable about my car. The site is very active with new and interesting posts on a daily basis. So I hope you come often and do enjoy!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Welcome. I'm also a former owner of a 944 Turbo, which I bought new in 1989. It had the Vitesse MAF and was very quick, but after 18 years of ownership, I decided it was time for something new. I sold it and got a Cayman S, which was not as fast but was a much better handling car. Now I have a GT3.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts