Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Boxster lost 80 kg of which 21 were due to the roof. 16 Kg were due to the omission of the radio and air conditioning- not really practical to omit in a coupe- that leaves 43kg. The current Cay S manual is 1350 kg. The rumoured Clubsport then still weighs 1307kg. If one assumes the same hp bump as in the Syder (ie 10 PS or 7 KW) that makes 185KW/ton (same as Spyder) and slightly more than the regular manual S (174KW/ton). Hopefully with tanking 911 sales they fit the 3.6 Carrera motor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
16 Kg were due to the omission of the radio and air conditioning- not really practical to omit in a coupe
Why not?
If they do a Club Sport I would want it without Aircon and radio, like the GT3 RS can be optioned.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
This is pure bologna. Coming in 2010? Uh...little late for that isn't it? Porsche reps have already stated recently there are currently no plans for a Cayman Club Sport, Cayman RS, or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is pure bologna. Coming in 2010? Uh...little late for that isn't it? Porsche reps have already stated recently there are currently no plans for a Cayman Club Sport, Cayman RS, or anything of the sort.
That means nothing....
No one ever mentioned the spyder until official announcement.
Same happened for 911 SC.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hmmm...that is not what was implied when I talked to the German Porsche rep @ the Spyder premier @ the LA Auto Show.
Also, it would be a late 2010 announcement for a spring 2011 car....just like they did with the RS60, then the Cayman Sport, chronologically. As in, look for it to be announce at next years LA Auto Show.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
It would be nice, but I would like to see more power more than I would less weight. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
If you are waiting for Porsche to provide anywhere near the higher power levels that the 987 Cayman platform can properly support, it will NEVER happen.

You can make this happen easily enough yourself, but it will never be coming directly from Porsche.
:cheers:

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I too think that things can happen quickly without prior announcement. i for one would like to see wheight savings much rather than HP increase. HP increase is easier done than wheight svings on your own. Where would you get light wheight doors and hatches from?.

Replacing seats gets me half way to a turbo kit. Same for wheels you are at least $2,500 out for a new sets of lighter wheels. Everything in a package would be nices and then you can continue with the wheight savings.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
It's a shame MEGA isn't here anymore. This thread would have got him going about how it's about time, should have happened years ago, and whether this decision was a result of the 'forcing of Porsche's hand' and whether this is the 'end of Porsche as we know it'.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Hmmm...that is not what was implied when I talked to the German Porsche rep @ the Spyder premier @ the LA Auto Show.
Also, it would be a late 2010 announcement for a spring 2011 car....just like they did with the RS60, then the Cayman Sport, chronologically. As in, look for it to be announce at next years LA Auto Show.
Sounds like you're confirming what I said...there will be no 2010 Cayman RS/CS/xx.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My dealer told me it will happen but no sooner than 2 years away. He got this from his rep. But dealers are known for knowing nothing...

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
You didn't say there would not be a 2010, you said "no current plans". There is certainly a difference.
I said "This is pure bologna. Coming in 2010? Uh...little late for that isn't it?"

There's no difference at all. How could it be coming in 2010 if there are no current plans to do it? The 2010 model year is already half over.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Lightweight Porsche Cayman road

AMSTERDAM -- Like the Boxster is also one of the Cayman lightweight livery.

This Porsche has indicated to The Associated Press during the first rijsessie the Boxster Spyder.

The manufacturer responded also not strange to the Sports Club designation, though this designation certainly not fixed.

The German automaker unveiled last week the Boxster Spyder at the auto show in Los Angeles.

Less than 24 hours later got De Telegraaf in Caramel, California, behind the wheel of the open two-seater.

The Porsche Spyder introduces a lightweight version.

The vehicle weight is reduced by 80 kg to 1275 kg.

The technicians have managed to achieve that reduction by including the doors and rear aluminum saves 15 kilograms-to-radio (-3 kg) and air (-13 kg) to omit, chairs (-12 kg) and tank (-7 kg) to adapt and other wheels (-5 kg) to mount.

The greatest weight reduction results from the deletion of the electrically operated convertible top with electric motors and frame tubes.

This results in a profit of 21 kg. Optionally, the radio, air conditioning and cup holders are available, what costs or 16 kg.

The Cayman undergoes a similar weight reduction, though the coupe obviously not a soft top that can be simply deleted.

The Germans will certainly look into other possibilities for the extra weight down.

Trust that next year the Porsche Cayman 'Sports Club' launches.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Porsche preparing lightweight version of the Cayman

If you liked the Porsche Boxster Spyder, then you’ll definitely be interested in this: the German manufacturer is currently preparing a lightweight version of the Cayman, the brother of the Boxster.

For those who don’t know, the Boxster Spyder has a total weight of just 1275 kg, but some features were removed or replaced with lighter ones, such as: the radio (3 kg), air conditioning (13 kg), chairs (12 kg), tank (7 kg) and wheels (5 kg). But, the most important step was removing the electrically operated soft top, which means that the German manufacturer got rid of 21 kg.

The lightweight Cayman dubbed Sports Club promises to follow the same steps, but we expect new materials and ideas from Porsche since we are talking about a coupe, not a convertible.

Porsche preparing lightweight version of the Cayman

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Release of Porsche Cayman Club Sport in 2010

At the beginning of this year we reported about the Cayman Club Sport; a lightweight version of the existing Cayman model range. We received information that the CS version will hit the market next year, following the Boxster Spyder introduced a few weeks ago.

The Porsche engineers will try to lose as much weight as possible. Although it isn’t official yet, we expect several changes inside the interior, lightweigh plates all over the car and a set of lighter wheels. Next to these weight saving changes, the Clubsports will gain a bit more power on top of the standard 320bhp.

The performance will of course improve. A standard Cayman S does 171mph (274km/h) and 4.9 seconds on a sprint to 62mph (100km/h).

The vehicle hasn’t been officially introduced yet, but a Dutch newspaper suggests a release within the upcoming months.

Release of Porsche Cayman Club Sport in 2010 - GTSPIRIT.COM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Porsche reps have already stated recently there are currently no plans for a Cayman Club Sport, Cayman RS, or anything of the sort.
No you must be wrong!

After I bought my CS, I had an Infiniti dealer email me asking if I was still interested in a G37. I told him I decided on a Cayman, so he asked me what I got and told me he had two Porsches as well. When I asked him which ones he owned, he emailed:

"I have a 2 year old Caymin RS and 6 years old Kayanne Turbo S."

So clearly the CRS has been out for quite a while now. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Hopefully with tanking 911 sales they fit the 3.6 Carrera motor.
This will never happen. You can take that to the bank. Porsche will
NEVER allow the Cayman, as delivered, to challenge the 911 on performance.

If you want a 3.6 you'll have to put it in yourself.

What would REALLY be cool is the 997.2 3.8 from the GT3 / GT3 RS. THIS is
the car I dream of at night.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts