Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller. Wasn’t able to find a ‘new members’ thread so I apologize if I missed it. I purchased a 2010 Cayman w/ 44k miles last month and have been loving it so far. I’ve put about 2-3k miles on it and it’s been great. This Sunday I was driving from Baltimore to DC and I noticed the CEL came on. It was solid at the time so I continued driving as I was near enough to my destination. On the return trip home, I noticed the CEL came back on but this time it began flashing, displayed a message on the dash that read “Reduced Engine Power,” and my seat (presumably the engine) and accelerator pedal began vibrating/shaking considerably. I tried to give it a bit more gas to try to narrow down the issue and the shaking worsened and the car was hesitating and not accelerating. I pulled over and used my Automatic app (https://www.automatic.com/features/) to look over the engine code that was being thrown. I received two codes; P0354 (Ignition Coil “D” Primary Control Circuit/Open) and P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected). It looked to me like this was a clear issue with cylinder 4 so I gently coasted the car back home, stopping and restarting the car when the CEL began blinking (did this about 6 times). I made it home ok, parked it and made a service appointment at my local Porsche dealer (Len Stoler Porsche). I had the car towed the following day to the dealer (which was a huge hassle but that’s another story) and gave them all the details that I provided above. The car stayed with them for two days and the service department kept telling me that they couldn’t reproduce the problem and that the issue was likely due to the 40k mile service not having been completed by the selling dealer. I faxed over the service records that I obtained from the selling dealer where the 40k mile service had been listed as completed (and asked that if they noticed otherwise based on their findings, I’d appreciate they let me know so I could escalate the matter appropriately). I felt like they began tip-toeing at this point and I wasn’t given a straight answer for my question: has the 40k mile service been completed? Do the spark plugs, filters, oil, etc. indicate this? Today the car was delivered to me and the CEL is still on despite them telling me that they had turned it off. I’m a little unsure what to do at this point. They want me to come back to them if the issue returns but I’m concerned because I work in Arlington, about 60 miles from home, and if the car starts to act up on me again during my commute I’m going to be in trouble and without a car for a few days (again). Also, from what I was able to gather online, it seems like driving on a bad ignition coil (if we believe what Automatic is reporting) may cause damage to the catalytic converter and I’m sure that wouldn’t be covered by the CPO
warranty if the coil is in fact bad and they’re able to fix it. Any suggestions on what I should do? When does PCNA come in to the mix? Does anyone have experience escalating warranty concerns to them? Sorry for all the noob questions but you guys seem to be super helpful so I’m turning to you for advice on next steps.

PS. One of the service advisers that I spoke with over the phone at another dealer suggested that the misfire may be due to the fuel that I'm using. I always fill up 93 but the last two fill-ups were at a local Safeway (grocery store) gas station. I've never had a problem with this fuel before in my G37 but it may be possible. It's not a habit though; I try to fill up at Shell or Sunoco whenever possible. (EDIT)

PPS. I searched the site extensively for “Reduced Engine Power” as well as the engine codes but didn’t find any relevant answers, so I apologize again if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I seem to have double-posted. How do I delete this thread?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
ammo,
I was able to get a new catalytic converter from Porsche for my car, it had a crack developing. They are part of the emission control warranty. It seems like the dealer didn't fix the issue and you need to keep after them. What parts were replaced as shown on the copy of the 40K service invoice you got? For warranty work my local dealer usually provides a rental car.

Good Luck

Rob

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
"the issue was likely due to the 40k mile service"

What is that supposed to mean? That they did something wrong? Didn't do something? Or screwed something up in the process. Seems pretty vague. It's good you have a CPO. You need to go back to the last dealer and get them to make it right, regardless of the inconvenience. Was the 40k service done by a Porsche dealer? If it was it doesn't matter which one makes it right. It's a little early for PCNA to be involved but if it's not properly fixed the next time, do call them. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob, that lessens the worry a bit. According to the service paperwork, 40k service included:

(1) Mobil Oil
(1) Oil-Filter Insert
(1) O-Ring
(1) Alum Seal Ring,
(1) Screw Plug, Oil Coll
(1) Air Filter Insert
(1) Cabin-Air Filter
(1) Battery - CR2032, RE
(1) Wiper Blade
(1) Washer Fluid
(1) BG 44k
(6) Spark Plugs

Would anyone recommend a service consultant and/or shop local to Baltimore (whose work wouldn't void the warranty)? I looked through the regional forum and online reviews but I'm still conflicted. Before this experience I thought Len Stoler would be my go-to P-car dealer, but after feeling dismissed and having the car returned to me in the same condition as I gave it to them however, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'd say your present issue has nothing to do with anything preformed or not preformed at the 40K mile service. Stay on the dealer, they need to diagnose and fix the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Budman, The car stayed with them for two days and the service department kept telling me that they couldn't reproduce the problem and that the issue was likely due to the 40k mile service not having been completed by the selling dealer. I faxed over the service records that I obtained from the selling dealer where the 40k mile service had been listed as completed (and asked that if they noticed otherwise based on their findings, I’d appreciate they let me know so I could escalate the matter appropriately).

Updated it in the OP as well, thanks for pointing that out.

The selling dealer was Gaudin Porsche in Vegas so their work should be honored by my local dealers under the CPO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The coil could crack if they changed the plugs at 40k. i would jack up the car, look at the coil and see if there's any crack (especially on cylinder 4).

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...laints/63557-cracked-coil-packs-misfires.html
Thanks, that's what I was asking the dealer to focus on when I turned it in but he just said that they looked at it and it was fine. I'd like to see for myself though after reading the thread you posted. Weirdly enough, I went to drive the car this afternoon and the CEL is back off again. It was just on last night and I haven't done anything to it since. I'm starting to give the fuel theory more thought; working on trying to burn off the last 1/4 tank, fill up on Shell 93 and re-observe.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Find another dealer. Get any money returned if u paid anything. Call and explain situatiin to anither dealer. Doesnt sound like a tough problem to diagnose and fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts