Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post as a Planet-9 member. Just made an offer on an 07 997.1 C4S Cab (34k miles, AND the X51 pkg!)and had a couple of questions.
1st, I noticed in reviewing the maintenance history that the car was denied CPO certification back in 2014 due to 'Range 4 rev limit' being reached. I've tried to educate myself on what this means, and I'm planning on a PPI prior to consummating the purchase. Will the PPI give me more info on what this means, or should I walk away before buying into a mess?
Car looks clean otherwise. (clean Carfax, 2 owner, new clutch, etc.) Price is reasonable, and the X51 pkg is very desirable. Would hate to miss out on one if everything else is good. (msrp was over $140k on this car)
2nd, I live in the East Bay Area in CA. Does anyone recommend a good indie mechanic in the East Bay? If the deal goes through I'd like to build up a good relationship with a reputable shop somewhere locally. (1st potential Porsche buyer)
Cheers. Mike.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Range 1 and 2 over-revs happen by bouncing off the rev limiter and are no cause for concern. Range 3 and 4 go past the limiter but generally won't damage an engine if a one-time occurrence for a short time. Range 5 and 6 are cause for concern. Because your range 4s happened 5 years back, any damage would have reared its head by now. I'll still have a rev report pulled during the PPI to verify that there were just a few revolutions in that range, and that they happened at least 100 operating hours in the past (likely so given it was 2014 or earlier). Beware however that a significant percentage of Porsche buyers will walk away from car with anything past range 2 over-revs, which could create a headache for you on resale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I lost the offer on the C4S w/x51 but am still in the market for something similar.
Also still trying to get a referral from other East Bay (CA) members for a good Indy repair shop. Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts