Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here. I pulled the trigger on a 2008 Boxster S 6MT with 20k on it. Clean, one owner, not used in fleet or lease. It should be here within 5 days via Carmax. It will be my DD and I am trading in my MK6 GTI for it. Now, I’ve never owned or driven a Porsche in my life, so I bought it unseen. Might be pretty stupid I know, but this car won so many awards, and it is on everyone’s top list of best drivers cars of all time, raving reviews etc… that I have a hard time believing that I won’t like it.
I have been shopping for RWD to replace my FWD GTI for few months already, and have driven (not necessary owned) BRZ’s, MX5’s, S2000, BMW, GTI’s, and out of all those cars, I loved the BRZ the most, and would’ve bought it if this deal did not come through. If this used Boxster S drives anything close to the new BRZ, I’m confident that I will love it.

One question that I have is do 987.1 Boxster S come with heated seats? For the life of me I could not find viable answer anywhere and I don't see heating buttons anywhere. That might be a big deal for me since I'd like to drive with top down even when it's chilly.

Thanks in advance

Here are photos of the exact vehicle
525.jpg
525.jpg
525.jpg
525.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Congrats! You will love this car. The FRS/BRZ is a fun car but the 987 is in a different league. :cheers:

Looks like your car does not have heated seats. If it did there would be switches to the left and right of the defrost buttons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club. Not only will you love how it drives, you will also be amazed at how practical it is. Sorry about the heated seats, to be honest I have never seen one around here without them. My car actually came from Kentucky (Bluegrass motors) and had them.
I was just in the area and was surprised by the lack of Boxsters I saw on the road, I think you may have a pretty exclusive car for the area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Yeah that's a bummer. I just called specialty shop here in Louisville and they want $500 a side, to retrofit heated element.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations and welcome to the club. Not only will you love how it drives, you will also be amazed at how practical it is. Sorry about the heated seats, to be honest I have never seen one around here without them. My car actually came from Kentucky (Bluegrass motors) and had them.
I was just in the area and was surprised by the lack of Boxsters I saw on the road, I think you may have a pretty exclusive car for the area.
Thanks! I see Boxsters once in a while, but usually base models. I see that you're from Ontario, how are Boxsters in winter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks! I see Boxsters once in a while, but usually base models. I see that you're from Ontario, how are Boxsters in winter?
Sorry I can't answer that, I park mine the end of October and it doesn't come out again until the roads are clear. I must say you are in the perfect place to own a Boxster, some great roads in the area and a much longer season than here. I spent just under two weeks put on 3,600 Km and only saw three Porsche's.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
how are Boxsters in winter?
Congrats on your purchase. You're really a brave soul but your bravery will be paid off in spades. You'll love your Boxster S.

So to your question... I put snow tires on my CSS and drive it through ice and snow that's 4" or less. No problems. Not sure what constitutes winter in your neck of the woods, but with the proper tires, a 987 is very capable as an all yr car. Just don't attempt to run it in cold temps or light snow with your summer tires. That's a recipe for disaster.

You may want to think about all-season tires, but before you ask which is best, please search in the tire section as there are LOTS of threads on this topic.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I can't answer that, I park mine the end of October and it doesn't come out again until the roads are clear. I must say you are in the perfect place to own a Boxster, some great roads in the area and a much longer season than here. I spent just under two weeks put on 3,600 Km and only saw three Porsche's.

Enjoy!
Yep, we do have some great roads. Actually couple of miles from where I live there are lot of country, curvy roads with great scenery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your purchase. You're really a brave soul but your bravery will be paid off in spades. You'll love your Boxster S.

So to your question... I put snow tires on my CSS and drive it through ice and snow that's 4" or less. No problems. Not sure what constitutes winter in your neck of the woods, but with the proper tires, a 987 is very capable as an all yr car. Just don't attempt to run it in cold temps or light snow with your summer tires. That's a recipe for disaster.

You may want to think about all-season tires, but before you ask which is best, please search in the tire section as there are LOTS of threads on this topic.

Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks for the welcome. That's reassuring that Boxster handles good in winter. Louisville, KY doesn't really get lot of snow, maybe couple of times a year and it lasts only two to four days. Temperature in December, January and early February gets into 20's and 30's on average. Rarely in 10's.

I must ask, why brave? lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One question: I've seen people using a second car to transport 4 winter tires in their Boxster to the shop. Couldn't you fit one in each trunk and two on the passenger seat?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I must ask, why brave? lol
That is because you bought it sight unseen. I did the same with my 08 Box base last month as it was either get it or lose it. With 13k, I figured it couldn't be that bad. I love driving the Box as its balance is awesome! I can wind out the motor without going to jail, unlike my modded 930 and modded 996tt. Those cars have sat in the garage. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the fray!! I was one of the forum members on FT86 club commenting on your thread! I guess now you know why I said what I did... I own both an FR-S and a Cayman R .... enjoy the car and post pix when it arrives!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah that's a bummer. I just called specialty shop here in Louisville and they want $500 a side, to retrofit heated element.
Does that including the wiring and putting the switches? That's pretty reasonable.

FWIW the real deal heating for me in a convertible is the heated steering wheel, not the heated seats. I can actually do without the seats.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
One question: I've seen people using a second car to transport 4 winter tires in their Boxster to the shop. Couldn't you fit one in each trunk and two on the passenger seat?
You'll get 1 in the trunk but regardless whether you have 18s or 19s, you won't get the frunk closed. I measured my 19s and they're 25" tall. The frunk height is 20-21". My snows are 18s and I didn't get an exact measurement, but it was approx 24".

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome to the fray!! I was one of the forum members on FT86 club commenting on your thread! I guess now you know why I said what I did... I own both an FR-S and a Cayman R .... enjoy the car and post pix when it arrives!!!
I am a member over at FT-86 as well and sold my FR-S for my Cayman. I think i'd still have the FR-S if it had 50 more ponies in spite of how the Flat-4 sounded. The FR-S is a truly terrific back to basics sports car that I wish would be expounded upon with Subie's WRX motor or Boxer 6. The Cayman however has more "intangibles." I would never go back. Congrats to the OP

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is because you bought it sight unseen. I did the same with my 08 Box base last month as it was either get it or lose it. With 13k, I figured it couldn't be that bad. I love driving the Box as its balance is awesome! I can wind out the motor without going to jail, unlike my modded 930 and modded 996tt. Those cars have sat in the garage. lol
Ahh gotcha. As long as the clutch doesn't require mammoth effort since it will be my daily, I think it will be hard time not to like it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does that including the wiring and putting the switches? That's pretty reasonable.

FWIW the real deal heating for me in a convertible is the heated steering wheel, not the heated seats. I can actually do without the seats.

Yep, they said it includes wiring, labor and parts. It will have low/high/off switch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'll get 1 in the trunk but regardless whether you have 18s or 19s, you won't get the frunk closed. I measured my 19s and they're 25" tall. The frunk height is 20-21". My snows are 18s and I didn't get an exact measurement, but it was approx 24".
Oh well, I guess it will be two trips to the tire shop then, it is only half a mile away anyway. I can probably roll the tires through the street to the shop lol. Or have wife haul couple of tires in her Ford Fusion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! will do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a member over at FT-86 as well and sold my FR-S for my Cayman. I think i'd still have the FR-S if it had 50 more ponies in spite of how the Flat-4 sounded. The FR-S is a truly terrific back to basics sports car that I wish would be expounded upon with Subie's WRX motor or Boxer 6. The Cayman however has more "intangibles." I would never go back. Congrats to the OP
Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk
Thanks. Well Cayman R is a whole new animal :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts