Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum having bought my first Porsche, a 2010 Cayman S, in July of 2014. I absolutely love this car! It hugs the road so well and the engine performance is a real step above anything I have ever driven. I also think it looks fantastic in Basalt Black metallic with the Turbo style alloys. I'm originally from England but I'm based in Edinburgh in Scotland. I don't see too many other Caymans around here!

I've already made a few subtle mods, mostly cosmetic - mesh grilles in the side vents and rear apron, stainless steel sill guards and I had cruise control retro-fitted. Whilst I feel the brakes are good, I yearn for a more "immediate" feeling. So, after research on this and other forums, I have purchased a GT3 brake master cylinder and some steel brake lines to go with it. My exhaust tip has become very tarnished and I really liked the look of the Fabspeed one, so I have bought that too. I shall get these parts installed in the near future.

Finally, the gap between my 19" rims and the wheel arch really annoys me (mine is a non PASM car). Therefore I want to lower the car as, although it looks great, I think it would look perfect without that gap. I don't really want to spend £1300+ on Bilstein/KW coilovers so I am thinking of simply getting the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs installed. Can any users offer advice here? I am not a track driver, so out and out performance isn't crucial for me. However I don't want to install this mod and find that it has ruined my car's handling! Will it? How much stiffer will the car be with the lowered springs? Will it be okay for normal daily driving use? I would describe my local road conditions as average - not great, but not terrible either.

I've posted some photos below of my baby :)

Thanks for reading,
Toby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Nice car! Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's beautiful. Love it!!!

Yeah, I'd go with the Bilstein PSS10s; only the best for a Porsche!!! I'm still getting used to the stock setup before I put on an aftermarket coilover kit;

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to you Gaucho, that's a fine Cayman you've got there.
Regarding the 'wheel gap' .. even though I have PASM, the stock look was still less than perfect. I found that using larger than stock tires in addition to wheel spacers brought everything together nicely. Additionally, I found that the larger tires were of benefit to both handling and ride (street use).
spacers: front=7mm, rear=15mm
tires: front=245/35R19, rear=285/35R19
I hope that your mods go well, please do follow up with the after-pics !
pluggagerack1.jpg

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Toby,

The car looks great. Really like the wheels. Maybe its the lighting, but the windows look like they have been tinted?

I also have a MT. I was trying to envision driving a R/H drive car with a manual. Noted even the key is on the R/H side (makes sense though, shifter with one hand and key with the other - consistent with the racing history). It would require a complete rewire of my brain!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

·
Registered
197 Posts
She is Beautiful ! That black is really something...there is another post on here with a 918 in that color and it had the same effect in the picture, it looks liquid. Very nice!! Welcome and congratz.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats on your CS and welcome...:cool:...its beautiful, Caymans look great in black.

As you say there aren't too many Caymans around here (good thing) much more Boxsters and 911's.

This car is made for the roads around Scotland...enjoy.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
hi Gaucho, woooh... nice looking colour combo and wheels.
Suddenly my non PASM car also seems to have large gaps in the wheel arch :( but the colour combo I have perhaps disguises it a little.

I have fond memories of driving to Aberdeen from England via the lake district roads in a 2000 Mondeo 1.8 manual. nice roads there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, thanks for the kind comments and warm welcome! I'm very happy with the car and definitely plan to explore some of Scotland's more rural roads soon. curt3g, I see what you mean, but it is just the lighting - the windows are not tinted!

Cheers,
Toby

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got my Fabspeed exhaust tips installed this week, so thought I would share a few photos. For a "before" photo, see my first post in this thread. I am very pleased with the look, and I think the sound has improved slightly too.

Next (and I think final) cosmetic upgrade will be lowering by 30mm with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, and fitting FVD spacers (7mm front and 15mm rear) to make the wheels more flush.

Thanks,
Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. If the pound falls much lower, you might start seeing some of us over there--my favorite country to visit.

. . . Therefore I want to lower the car . . .
Before making that move, please consider this: even without any lowering (e.g., sport suspension) the front is so low and so far in front of the front tires that many posters here have reported scraping up the bottom of their front bumpers. Schnell's sacrificial bar ($100 U.S.) does not fix this problem because it sits too far back from the front bottom edge of the bumper. If you don't mind getting the bumper scraped up, it's fine to proceed with your plans. If you do, however, I'd drive gently onto various inclines--particularly the aprons between road and sidewalk/driveway, to get a sense of what you can and can't get away with even before lowering the car further. Yes--going slowly and approach and sharp angles will reduce the number of scrapes, but the may still happen. I drive very carefully onto such inclines, have had my car (2015 CS) only 6 months, and still I've hit bottom twice. Do be careful and good luck, mate, as y'all would say.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Toby,

im in a very similar situation to you in that I have just recently purchased a 2010 black CS non pasm. I was wondering if you had completed the suspension mod with the eibach spring kit? I am also thinking of the same mod but may go for techart springs if I can track some down. Any feedback on ride quality or handling etc following installation??

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice car and you are obviously switched on to the mod world! Where did you get your rear apron mesh and your Gt3 master cylinder from? I presume you got them from the UK? I am due a brake fluid refresh and I am considering the mc change and stainless steel lines. Have you fitted this yet? Are you happy with the change?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before making that move, please consider this: even without any lowering (e.g., sport suspension) the front is so low and so far in front of the front tires that many posters here have reported scraping up the bottom of their front bumpers. Schnell's sacrificial bar ($100 U.S.) does not fix this problem because it sits too far back from the front bottom edge of the bumper. If you don't mind getting the bumper scraped up, it's fine to proceed with your plans. If you do, however, I'd drive gently onto various inclines--particularly the aprons between road and sidewalk/driveway, to get a sense of what you can and can't get away with even before lowering the car further. Yes--going slowly and approach and sharp angles will reduce the number of scrapes, but the may still happen. I drive very carefully onto such inclines, have had my car (2015 CS) only 6 months, and still I've hit bottom twice. Do be careful and good luck, mate, as y'all would say.:)
Thanks for the advice. Luckily I'm used to having a low car (had an Alfa 159 TI previously) and there aren't too many steep inclines in my local area :)

Hi Toby, im in a very similar situation to you in that I have just recently purchased a 2010 black CS non pasm. I was wondering if you had completed the suspension mod with the eibach spring kit? I am also thinking of the same mod but may go for techart springs if I can track some down. Any feedback on ride quality or handling etc following installation??
Cheers
Anthony
Hi Anthony. They look great in black, don't they! I have actually only just ordered the Eibach springs, so it will probably be another month or so before I get them fitted. I'll make sure I post up my thoughts once I've got them and the spacers on. If you do a search on this forum, most people who have bought them (and had a proper alignment done) have only good things to say!

Nice car and you are obviously switched on to the mod world! Where did you get your rear apron mesh and your Gt3 master cylinder from? I presume you got them from the UK? I am due a brake fluid refresh and I am considering the mc change and stainless steel lines. Have you fitted this yet? Are you happy with the change?
Cheers :) I had the rear apron mesh supplied and fitted by my local Porsche dealer. I think it really completes the look of the rear - I hated the gaps that were there before! It was £380 fitted from Porsche... you can get a similar product much cheaper from PorscheMesh .com though. I bought the mesh for my side vents from there. He was a little slow delivering but I was very pleased with the product.

For the GT3 master cylinder, I read a number of the threads on here and found out the OEM part number (it's made by TRW). I then Googled this and I think it was a French website I bought it from - only £183, compared to £300+ from Porsche! I am going to get the MC and stainless brake lines fitted (along with a full brake fluid flush) at my next service in November. So some time to wait for that mod!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These have arrived in the last few days. I cannot wait to get them fitted on 27th February (birthday present to myself) !

- Eibach Pro Kit (lowers by 30mm)

- FVD Brombacher 7mm (front) and 15mm (rear) spacers

Toby

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts