Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned quite a few cars in my lifetime. I have never owned a true sports car however. Muscle cars yes, sports cars no. Well, as my Chevy volt lease is coming to an end in four months about 3 months ago I decided that my next car would be a Cayman S. My budget was about 30k, my wife thought that 25 was a better idea. Like I said I have been looking for a while. I was not too picky but basically I wanted power seats, , heated seats (Chicago), chrono package (dash looks better), full leather(if possible), not black or blue or yellow in color.
Few days ago while on vacation I got a second chance eBay offer on a 06 Cayman S, dark gray metallic paint, and gray interior with all but the full leather options that I wanted. The car has 78k on it. I know it is a bit high for a Porsche. I had the opportunity to have a local Porsche dealer check the car out. Gave it a complete clean bill of health. I got the car for 19k and feel great about it. The big flaw with the car is that it has what seems like a million rock chips on the hood and windshield. I am probably not going to worry about it too much right now. For now I need a new set of rear tires and an upgrade to the stereo system (bluetooth would be nice).

Aside from the wonderful flat six sound (volt had none), I immediately noticed how much harder I have to work to just drive the car. Driving once again is rewarding :)

Once this winter is over this car will be my daily driver I am looking to topping 100k in it over the next couple of years. Been on this forum for a couple of months and learned quite a bit. Thanks.

I am looking forward to further interaction and advice.

20141026_114432.jpg

Paul happy new owner of a 06 Cayman S!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club! You will love this car :cheers:

Consider joining your local PCA region and experience the fun of an autocross with a true sports car :banana:

Try Dr Color Chip for the hood.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
When you've had it a while, I'd love to read your take on muscle cars vs a mid-engine Porsche.

Reactions: BucketListPorsche

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Welcome..........I suspect the only regret you are going to have is that it took you this long to 'come home..'. I finally discovered Porsche at the age of 63 and more than 40 cars of all types including muscle. I am now 68 and driving my 3rd Cayman............glad I discovered the Porsche and particularly the Cayman before I got too old :).

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The big flaw with the car is that it has what seems like a million rock chips on the hood and windshield.
LOL I expected to open the picture and see a hood and windshield pocked like the surface of the moon. Even zooming into the photo I can't see any chips. Looks pretty good for a car of its vintage and mileage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice car and welcome! Enjoy it now before the weather turns $hitty.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Congrats & welcome! Nice price.

Full leather is a bit uncommon, so you would have been looking a lot longer for one of those. Looks like you got a bi-xenon car. You'll like that when the days get dark faster.

Buy a bottle of Dr Colorchip and you'll have the hood looking like new. The windshields pit very easily, so it's fairly normal to have some marks.

Reactions: BucketListPorsche

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congrats. You'll love it.

+1 on Dr. Colorchip, especially for darker colors. I have touched up black cars and it's very difficult to find the chips when you're done. Here are a few pics of my Alfa before, during and after Dr. Colorchip plus a polish/wax. The red is more difficult to touch up than dark grey or black so I think your results could be even better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. Ordered it today. Hope it will be here this weekend. That's a pretty amazing difference.

Now I need to find some rear tires. Then I'll be done for awhile. Tire Rack here I come.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just keep telling myself. Tires first! Thanks. This car makes me feel like I am in HS again and just got my first car which was a 79 Trans Am with the Olds 403 and a giant bird on the hood!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It sounds like we picked up another smart one. Any guy who paid $19 for a 2006 Cayman S that is in decent shape is welcome to the club!
Drive the hell out of the that sports car my new friend.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of smart guys on here, will help you with anything that you need to know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL I expected to open the picture and see a hood and windshield pocked like the surface of the moon. Even zooming into the photo I can't see any chips. Looks pretty good for a car of its vintage and mileage.
Well Dr. Colorchip left me stunned. I did not finish the entire hood yet but this thing pretty much 'rocked'.

Thanks for the advice.

The car also got a new set of Continental DW tires. Was going to the the Michelins but could not beat the deal on the Coninentals. $360 for the set!

Again thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Wow, $360 for a set? Did you buy them from a guy in a back alley off of Craigslist? Were they still warm to the touch? Those are good tires, you'll like them. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have owned quite a few cars in my lifetime. I have never owned a true sports car however. Muscle cars yes, sports cars no. Well, as my Chevy volt lease is coming to an end in four months about 3 months ago I decided that my next car would be a Cayman S. My budget was about 30k, my wife thought that 25 was a better idea. Like I said I have been looking for a while. I was not too picky but basically I wanted power seats, , heated seats (Chicago), chrono package (dash looks better), full leather(if possible), not black or blue or yellow in color.
Few days ago while on vacation I got a second chance eBay offer on a 06 Cayman S, dark gray metallic paint, and gray interior with all but the full leather options that I wanted. The car has 78k on it. I know it is a bit high for a Porsche. I had the opportunity to have a local Porsche dealer check the car out. Gave it a complete clean bill of health. I got the car for 19k and feel great about it. The big flaw with the car is that it has what seems like a million rock chips on the hood and windshield. I am probably not going to worry about it too much right now. For now I need a new set of rear tires and an upgrade to the stereo system (bluetooth would be nice).

Aside from the wonderful flat six sound (volt had none), I immediately noticed how much harder I have to work to just drive the car. Driving once again is rewarding :)

Once this winter is over this car will be my daily driver I am looking to topping 100k in it over the next couple of years. Been on this forum for a couple of months and learned quite a bit. Thanks.

I am looking forward to further interaction and advice.

View attachment 52441

Paul happy new owner of a 06 Cayman S!

welcome to the forum. There are a lot of really smart guys on here that know a lot. You will get a serious education about the car on here. As for getting a cayman s instead of another muscle car, I leave you with the following quote:

"Now that you know, you can't un-know!"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts