Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member and thanks to all the information provided by the members on this forum for this wonderful car. I bought a new camera and my buddy and thought we could film the battery swap on the Cayman. Let us know what you think and subscribe if you like!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That's cool. Are the lyrics of the song about battery swapping? (I must admit I didn't listen too hard to the lyrics, but assumed they narrate the video.)
There's a guy with a 991 GT3 who has all these "how to" videos on Rennlist. He's gotten really popular, as he just sets up the camera on a tripod and starts working and talking to the camera. His kids come in the garage occasionally and ask him who he's talking to...it's a crack up! It feels real, and he has 1,000s of hits.
You should check it out.
Nice start though. Maybe some better lighting of the dark places under the hood?
BTW, you don't mention the order of removing the terminal wires. Is it positive first, or negative first? And the order of reconnecting them?
Did you get any warning lights after the battery swap? How did you clear them?

thanks,
BTW, you prolly should post this to the DIY forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! Next video will be better Song is just background music. We've included the proper instructions from the Porsche Manual in the video for those who are absolutely ocd about which terminal first. On the contrary, however, we just wanted to show that a battery swap is simply a 2 minute task and definitely not something that requires 500$ or a couple hours as quoted from the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree. Too dark.

OP I suggest you loose the music. Interferes way to much. Anyone watching doesn't want entertainment. They want information. I suggest you just talk to it.

Good beginning. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! We were thinking about narrating it but ended up cutting all the sound because we kept messing up and had to restart. It's funny though because we made another video the on same day for my Ducati motorbike with no sound. Over on that forum, howeverm they said it was too quiet and could use some music!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you lose any settings after the battery swap?

Was it advised to use a battery tender (to the cigarette lighter socket) before replacing the battery to keep the settings? I think I read that somewhere...

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
id brush the posts and prep them next time but on the fly it works....Don't get me wrong, that was a great video.. i strongly encourage more of it..

Lemon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
id brush the posts and prep them next time but on the fly it works....Don't get me wrong, that was a great video.. i strongly encourage more of it..

Lemon

Thanks really appreciate the feedback guys. Good call on brushing up the post but my buddy's car only had roughly 7k miles on it and the terminals look nearly new (compared to my truck!) but it would for sure help anyways.

We didn't lose any settings as we were able to swap the battery quite fast. But rumors have it that if the car has been without battery for a while you might lose settings and the PSM might read malfunctioning until you give it a good drive after the swap.

Some people have plugged in a battery/battery tender via the cigarette port/emergency fuse pin with great success

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm in the television advertising business. Using music on an instructional video can be distracting or overwhelming. If you choose to use music you may want to consider backing off the volume after the open. Then you can use voice over to explain the process. It tends to be much more effective in a instructional video. You did an excellent job on the visuals and the editing. The music for me was just too strong but then again I'm not the right demo for that song..carl

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just curious; why the need for a new battery on a Cayman with just 7,000 miles? Also, what kind of battery is it? I see the original one is not maintenance free, but the new one is.
I also liked the video, but agree with others that you need better lighting and should eliminate the music, or have it very low in the background.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts