• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cayman S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, What a great forum and community. Happy to be a New Porsche owner, part of this forum, and a member of PCA.

The Goods:

I purchased a 2007 Cayman S

Exterior: Midnight Blue Metallic
Interior: Sand Beige Standard Leather
Options:
342 Heated Front Seats
435 3-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest[/TD]
573 Automatic Climate Control
680 Bose High End Sound Package
810 Floor Mats - Interior Color
E9 Midnight Blue Metallic
P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Sand Beige Standard Leather

It was originally bought in Connecticut, then in 2010, found a home in Alberta, at the time of my purchase there is 75,000 km’s (47,000 miles). Overall in great shape, well cared for, and bought from a dealer (the owner traded in for a newer 911.)

First Impressions:

This has always been a great looking car to me, a friend had an ‘06 a few years ago and I recently felt the urge to get a sports car. The car showed great (videos & photos), the PPI also came through without issue. The dealer had replaced a inner tie rod, in my research, it doesn’t sound like these fail easily - there hasn’t been an reported accidents, and the nose has a clear 3m bra, which is still intact and 10 years old, my belief this could be from the roads in Northern Alberta, or maybe a Track Day?

The Deal:

I’m all in for it for under $35,000 ($26,000 USD), which I feel is a good price.

My excitement:

It’s been a long week, I committed to the car over the weekend and it’s being loaded tomorrow on the truck to be deliveried. I’ve spent much of this time, watching many YouTube videos: Roger Bailey, Mechonomist, and a few other mod videos.

I’ve got myself a Torx’s kit, Tirm Kit, Shop Towels, Clear Side Markers, and anything else I feel a Porsche owner might need to care for their car.

The plan:

Part of my reasoning to buy this car is to use it for some nice road trips this summer with my wife. We are in Vancouver and the road to Whistler on the Sea-to-Sky is amazing, lots of corners, hills, places to pass - it’s going to rock! We are also 4 hours from a local wine region, so that’s also planned for the summer. I don’t need a DD, so this will be purely for fun and joining up with the local PCA chapter.

My first 12 months of ownership may see 3,000 kms max, as I also plan on storing it in the winter and only driving as needed. Trips, PCA Events, the Golf Course and driving around on sunny days.

Mods:
Don’t want to go too crazy outta the gate, looking to improve comfort, and ensure a fun ride.

1. Stereo, has the CDR24, didn’t want to add an aftermarket, as I like the stock look anyhow, would rather wait an get a new cayman with all the updated PCM or a PCCM. For now....
    1. FM Transmitter FM Transmitter, TEUMI Wireless in-Car FM Radio Adapter Bluetooth Car Kit with Hands Free Calling, Dual USB Ports (5V/2.4A & 1A), Support SD Card USB Flash Drive [Blue Ambient Ring Light]: Amazon.ca: Electronics
    2. Magnetic Phone Holder Magnetic Phone Mount - 997/987
  2. While opening up the console that why not tighten up the shifting:
Shift Alignment Tool
https://youtu.be/etqu_6y6x_g
  1. Removal of the clear 3M bra, I don’t like the look, appreciate it was on in Alberta, but don’t get the rocks here in Vancouver.
    1. Remove the 3M film, it’s 10 years old, so having a shop do it, then get a cut polish. (3M 1/2 bra on the front, mirrors, and door edges, and stone guards)
    2. Hopefully there is no issue when this comes from, cut polish, and add back stone guards.
Service Plan:

Getting a used car you are inheriting someone else’s bad habits or good. I will be getting the service records, but right now don’t know much. It’s had a oil change, and an alignment - but not sure what else.

I’d like to know if the water pump has been replaced, shifter cables been replaced, or if the serpentine belt recently been replaced. Anything else to look for?

Once I get the car I plan on taking a closer look for myself and do a few DIY projects to replace/inspect:

Serpentine Belt Replacement (thinking of opening up the engine bay, cleaning it up with some Green, checking the belt and seeing how the Water Pump responds)
Air Filter (While I got it open)

And if it feels like it has some give, replace the pump as my first service.
Water Pump

Future Service:
Brakes - Front brakes: 9mm Back Brakes: 7mm (Maybe 15,000 kms???)
Tires - All tires have about 6mm, Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Not too sure, maybe 15K also)
Clutch - (Don’t really know, but I would assume sometime in the next 30,000-40,000 kms)

Started writing this to post once I get the car, but I’m so jazzed. Any feedback, encouragement is appreciated!

Have a good one everyone. Pictures to follow once I take delivery!

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,822 Posts
I can sense your excitement! Welcome aboard. You've made a fine choice, and found a very nice example IMO. Get accustomed to the car before diving into maintenance or madifications. Meanwhile, you can pole over the articles and threads herein to gain a better understanding of the maintenance watch items and procedures. Please post pictures when it arrives, and feel free to share some of your driving adventures with us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats! We have so many 987 buyers this season, awesome.

Keep some cash for things which you don't expect, it's one of the most dependable cars in the world but some parts are working on the car since 2007. My car was also a 2007 and the first hit was a coolant temp sensor - it was 10 bucks, lol. But next was my CV joint - rear right wheel. They often go and its a couple hundred quid. AOS goes, water pump goes too, didn't happen to me but have your cash ready for the right hour.

But this is nothing compared to what kind of machine you get. Many of us think that it's one of the best sports cars you can buy period. I removed a clear bra after a similar time myself, just by pulling without using heat or anything else - machine polish afterwards would be nice.

Now after a false start with your post you are obliged to upload photos when it comes in, lol. Midnight Blue is a very interesting version of black, I love it, so do a proper wash and wax, take the right photo and share with your new friends from the Planet.

Cheers.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Looks great, congrats! You'll have a lot of fun in this car. And it does fit 2 golf bags in the trunk, provided they're regular sized (not the big pro bags).

First suggestion: get black floor mats. yes the beige ones match the interior, but they are impossible to keep clean.

Regarding the shifting: you can't really "tighten it up." There is no slack in the cables. The alignment tool is to hold the lever in the neutral position while the cables are adjusted when you install them. If your car has the OEM cables, many of us here would advise to you to save up some time and/or money to switch to Numeric cables. They are bulletproof and really improve the shifting action.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great looking car !!! My wife and I just got a 2008 987 this spring and absolutely love it !
I love the color inside and out !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Sorry I fell asleep on page 10 of your post but you bought the car, didn't buy it, are thinking of buying it ?
Your #4 post is confusing me (easily done) -
"Thanks Guys! Here some dealer shots, can't wait to get my own, and even after some TLC."

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
22 Posts
Congrats! Following the floor mat advice from racergreg, you might want to throw a trunk liner in there if you're planning on transporting golf clubs.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
31 Posts
WELCOME! You will soon discover there is nothing like a Porsche. My first was an '08 Cayman S. I LOVED THAT CAR. Handled like a dream. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Augie, you win the contest for the most perplexed member of the week.
Thanks we aim to please. What do I win ?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
looks great! sand beige interiors lighten up the feel of space in the cabin for sure....

here is some ideas for the bluetooth.. #9 that are more subtle
and yes the old stone guards are a pain to remove....

unless something else comes up in the inspection of the car, keep the cash collected for that rainy day - as these cars age, more TLC is required but yes very rewarding to drive - enjoy in good health :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to expect, that looks like a choose your own gear car, is the shifter cable breaking. Just but the numeric replacement now before those break unexpectedly

·
Registered
140 Posts
@up - that's a beaut! Is this a full SOUL exhaust or just tips?

Augi - a spaghetti pasta, cooked, no sauce, or a 1000 piece puzzle of it.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
pasta, cooked with white clam sauce please

1 - 20 of 20 Posts