Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2008 987.1 Base/5 speed. Car was rarely driven by elderly friend...never tracked. 17,000 mi. It's a toy for me, prob won't put 3000 mi a yr on it. My question is: how aggressive can I drive it without abuse? No tracking...street only. My thinking is not to exceed about 6000 RPM between gears. All answers/opinions appreciated. Thx.....Marv

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Recently bought a 2008 987.1 Base/5 speed. Car was rarely driven by elderly friend...never tracked. 17,000 mi. It's a toy for me, prob won't put 3000 mi a yr on it. My question is: how aggressive can I drive it without abuse? No tracking...street only. My thinking is not to exceed about 6000 RPM between gears. All answers/opinions appreciated. Thx.....Marv
Drive the wheels off it.the 2.7 loves to rev, and is nearly bulletproof as long as you avoid the "money shift".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Drive the wheels off it.the 2.7 loves to rev, and is nearly bulletproof as long as you avoid the "money shift".
I completely agree. Your car wants to be driven and enjoyed - that’s a Porsche’s raison d'etre. If anything, it’s been unfairly neglected to this point.

Drive it. Enjoy it. No reason to tear up the clutch or abuse it - but sitting in a garage is a cruel destiny for a car like this.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Droc'ed nailed it: The worst thing you can do to it is an accidental shift from 3rd to 1st or from 4th to 2nd. You can push closer to the redline than 6,000 RPM but try not to over-rev it. Later on, if you try to do a sale/trade with a dealer, he'll pull an "Over-rev" report and ding you if you've been bad. That aid, the car can take over-revs pretty well, so if you do it a few times, don't beat up yourself. Since no one's said it yet, I will: Do maintenance as scheduled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.