Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

New Member/Owner

3K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Vista6019 
#1 ·
Hello

After lurking for a while now this is my first post. Afterlooking for about eight months, I just acquired a 2014 981S. Originally, I wasfocused on 2011-12 pre-owned models but when 2014 models started to appear aspre-owned I expanded my search.

A few weeks ago I found a 2014 with 1,100 miles up in NewJersey. After looking it over, taking a test drive and engaging in a bit ofnegotiation we sealed the deal and I took possession on the Tuesday beforeThanksgiving. It is now back here in VA and I have attached a couple of photos.Equipment includes:

• Bi-Xenon? Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
  • Deletion of Model Designation
  • Instrument Dials in White
  • Manual Transmission
  • Multi-function steering wheel
  • Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
  • Power adjustable and heated side mirrors on door panels

• Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
  • Power Steering Plus
  • Premium Package
  • Two-tone Leather Interior
  • Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
  • Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels

It has summer performance tires mounted right now so usewill be a bit limited through the winter. I hope to participate in some Auto-Xand get some track time come spring. In the meantime I will focus on a goodwheel/tire combo for those activities.

This is my first Porsche and my first new (relativelyspeaking) sports car since I bought a new 240Z back in 1972. As you can seefrom my signature block I have a couple of classics in the garage. I am amazedat the difference in the driving experience.

I look forward to participating in the forum in the future.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!!

Congrats. Are those the platinum or black satin finish wheels? Hard to tell from the pic.

Now go get clear side markers. :cheers:

#3 ·
Sorry...My first post did not go too well. The list of options seem to have been dropped. So here is the list again.

• Bi-Xenon? Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
  • Deletion of Model Designation
  • Instrument Dials in White
  • Manual Transmission
  • Multi-function steering wheel
  • Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
  • Power adjustable and heated side mirrors on door panels

Hope it goes through OK this time.

• Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
  • Power Steering Plus
  • Premium Package
  • Two-tone Leather Interior
  • Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
  • Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels

#4 ·
No worries. You'll figure out the forum eventually. The Cayman looks great!! I love the wheels... and the two-tone interiors really class up the joint. :)

#6 ·
Welcome to the group, VaCat.

Looks like a good set of options and close to mine. Sure you will really enjoy the car once you can get it out in some warmer weather!

#8 ·
Jim,
Great combo. Enjoy your first Porsche in good health. :cheers:

#10 ·
Congrats! I am also currently in the market and saw this car! one of only 3 used Caymans S manuals with PTV in the country right now. I would have bought it if it wasn't on the opposite side of the country to me. Enjoy in good health! Beautiful car!

#14 ·
#15 ·
Would love a review from your perspective sometime. Congrats!

#16 ·
looks very nice .... enjoy ... if you are down near Richmond -- shout out....

#17 ·
Congrats and welcome. That is a gorgeous car and awfully dangerous to own in VA! I keep reading about jail time for speeders in Virginia. Makes me fear ever visiting the state! Best of luck with it.

#19 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I forgot to mention that at 6’5” and 260 lbs this is one ofthe most comfortable sports cars I have ever driven. Last winter I went to theWash DC auto show and tried them all on for size…Vette, F Type Jag, miata…nonefit me very well. Porsche was not there…or perhaps I just missed them. It wasnot until last March that I drove a friend’s 2014 Cayman and was absolutelyamazed with the amount of room in the driver’s compartment and the overalldriving experience.

To all you VA guys, I am sure I will see you around. I hope tomake it to C&C in Great Falls soon if the weather cooperates.

Mid-Engine Fan—I was actually looking at 914-6’s for awhile.

SteveinNJ—I spent 3 great years @ Ft Dix (72-73 &74-76), I was driving my Z car back then.

#21 ·
Oh I love that you looked at 914-6s. Would love to get your impressions. The Cayman is certainly a nicer car, though. Congrats!

#23 ·
Mid-engine

I can not say I physically looked at any. My 914-6 search was based on recollections. When I decided abouta year ago that I wanted another car, my first efforts were focused on getting anotherclassic. I remembered the 914-6 as being a solid performer back in the 70’s, soI included it as a potential candidate and started to look around. I guess I amnot the only one who liked them, as their availability has shrunk and theirprice has moved significantly in the opposite direction.
Once I took my friend’s Cayman for a test drive last winter,I pretty much decided no more classics for now. It was just a matter of findingthe right Cayman.

#24 ·
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I can't let my 914-4 go, it's just too neat! When I had a 986 BS, I found myself taking out the 914 regularly. Since I bought the 981BS a year ago, I only take the 914 when I'm going to a crowded parking lot. ( My 914 is beaten up, needs paint and more cosmetic work. ) But I drove it daily while waiting for the 981.) In other words, I would also choose a 981 over a 914.

#25 ·
Congratulations on a great car, and welcome to the forum !

#27 ·
Welcome to P-9. Awesome find! I always wonder about people who sell their car even before break-in is completed... Their loss your gain ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.