Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, First time Porsche owner, purchased a 2006 Cayman S from Florida and drove it to Dallas last Saturday. Car drove well, AC was cold, never felt that the engine would give out on me. Car is surprisingly comfortable in the long drive.

The car cosmetically is in rough shape, left out on the sun so paint and anything rubber is gone. A lot of interior parts are brittle. No dents and the engine is in good shape from the drive so I think this project will be ok. Got the car for a relatively cheap price so no PPI prior to purchase. Gambling that it does not have bore scoring. Will be brining it to get a compression test and bore scope next so I'll know how to proceed next with my project!

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Change the oil. Then change it every 4000 miles. I use a premium Motul V300 Power 5W40 oil. Engine is quite and does not use a drop between oil changes. If you have not done a PPI and drove it 1800 miles, then why bother. Just start taking very good care. Watch the 6 video series from flatsixinnovations by Jake Raby re borescoring and especially how to prevent it. Get into a grove with your car, and slowly start stressing in more each month. You will find with a lot of care, it will take the abuse if you know the limitations from Jake.
Have fun and let us know your results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change the oil. Then change it every 4000 miles. I use a premium Motul V300 Power 5W40 oil. Engine is quite and does not use a drop between oil changes. If you have not done a PPI and drove it 1800 miles, then why bother. Just start taking very good care. Watch the 6 video series from flatsixinnovations by Jake Raby re borescoring and especially how to prevent it. Get into a grove with your car, and slowly start stressing in more each month. You will find with a lot of care, it will take the abuse if you know the limitations from Jake.
Have fun and let us know your results.

Thank you! this is very encouraging! Yeah, I try to change oil as often as I can. Most likely every 4-6 months since I don't think I'll be driving it much with working from home. Will be mostly a weekend spirited driving car.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
chefridge-
How much oil was used in your drive from Florida? Was it long enough to determine if the piston rings/cylinder walls are in good shape. One way to find this info especially after a long drive is to put your finger in the exhaust on both sides to find any oil. A little carbon is good, but not an oil film. Rather than burning up money on a cylinder bore scoring rabbit hole, just change the oil frequently until you feel comfortable with the bore scoring issue. You may know that Florida has less bore scoring events than most other states. Another area to explore are the fuel injectors. I would get a strong injector cleaner and use it every other tank of gas for quite a while. I use Liquimoly Jectronic every 3-4th tank now. Keeping those injectors clean is very important long term
Can you slowly take out the sun damage to your paint and front headlights? The Porsche paint is soft, so go easy on grinding with a power buffer. You will find that canyon driving is a great way to start using your car. One modification I made, that really has benefited the 987.1S is a Wavetrac LSD. It allows much better rear end control coming out of corners with full power and also prevents the rear end coming around under threshold braking and trail braking into a corner. This activity is especially noticeable down hill on tight curvy roads. Its an excellent mod along with Numeric shifter cables. You will find engine braking to be very useful. Something the PDK does not do as well, besides putting a smile on your face with a 6 speed manual.

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
You will find engine braking to be very useful. Something the PDK does not do well, besides putting a smile on your face like a 6 speed manual.
It works well for engine braking on mine if used in manual mode.. works as well as any manual transmission I've ever owned (and that's a LOT of them.. see "List of toys" in my sig..) That's the biggest upside to the PDK, it's a fine and fast shifting automatic when you want it to be, with several performance modes available with the press of a button, and it's a fine manual transmission by just moving the lever to the left and using the flappy paddles to shift. There is a reason Porsche uses it in their race cars.. it just works better than a manual if used to its fullest. It's fully capable of putting a smile on my face, as well as any 7 speed manual would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chefridge-
How much oil was used in your drive from Florida? Was it long enough to determine if the piston rings/cylinder walls are in good shape. One way to find this info especially after a long drive is to put your finger in the exhaust on both sides to find any oil. A little carbon is good, but not an oil film. Rather than burning up money on a cylinder bore scoring rabbit hole, just change the oil frequently until you feel comfortable with the bore scoing issue. You may know that Florida has bore scoring events than most other states. Another area to explore are the fuel enjectors. I would get a strong injector cleaner and use it every other tank of gas for quite a while. I use Liquimoly Jectronic every 3-4th tank now. Keeping those injectors clean is very important long term
Can you slowly take out the sun damage to your paint and front headlights? The Porsche paint is soft, so go easy on grinding with a power buffer. You will find that canyon driving is a great way to start using your car. One modification I made, that really has benefited the 987.1S is a Wavetrac LSD. It allows much better rear end control coming out of corners with full power and also prevents the rear end coming around under threshold braking and trail braking into a corner. This activity is especially noticeable down hill on tight curvy roads. Its an excellent mod along with Numeric shifter cables. You will find engine braking to be very useful. Something the PDK does not do as well, besides putting a smile on your face with a 6 speed manual.
Oil level did not change from my drive from Florida to Mississippi 400 miles, the. It went down 1 bar in Dallas but stupid me parked it on an incline when I checked so that can be a factor. I also did put injector cleaner on the first fill up. Did not notice blue smoke during the startup. Very minimal white smoke after the first 20 second on a cold start then went away after a few secs. From bore scoring symptoms I am feeling good about dodging it. What do you mean by Florida has bore scoring events? They have more cases than normal or bore scoring checkups? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Chefridge,
Florida has less bore scoring than most other states especially the northern ones. Seems that warmer weather helps prevent this event from happening. What about any oil droplets in the exhaust pipe? Is the sun damage too severe to buff out? Paint job only option?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I can tell visually, the tailpipes were black from carbon. It does not look oily. The clear on the paint is gone in most areas. And some areas it is like a plastic film peeling so I am sure a paint job is the only way to fix that.

I did watch the whole series on bore scoring on youtube from rennvision among others and it says to warm up the car properly. If I am to go somewhere less than 5 miles, is it not advisable to use the cayman? Should I only drive it if I am gong 8+ miles?

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,594 Posts
Clean off the exhaust with some steel wool and get it shiny so you have a clean place to start.. drive it and observe what it looks like. Also if there is bore scoring the rear bumper cover gets all black and sooty… clean oil is paramount…
As for the paint… you can try using some grit and buff it out just to see what happens. Sounds like the paint is torched.. so you plan to repaint??

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
If you determined the current paint is gone - If it was me I'd consider a wrap. I've certainly seen ones where you couldn't tell it was a wrap without getting up to it and feeling under the wheel-wells for the edge. It would be a fraction of the cost of a paint job, and wouldn't require things like glass removal to do it correctly.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If you determined the current paint is gone - If it was me I'd consider a wrap. I've certainly seen ones where you couldn't tell it was a wrap without getting up to it and feeling under the wheel-wells for the edge. It would be a fraction of the cost of a paint job, and wouldn't require things like glass removal to do it correctly.
I was leading to that… ya it’s waaaaaay less than paint nowadays… good idea, but you’ll have to make it flat and smooth out the uneven clear coat vs base coat or you’ll see all that through the vinyl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did ask about a wrap, the problem is there is no clear for the wrap to adhear too. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clean off the exhaust with some steel wool and get it shiny so you have a clean place to start.. drive it and observe what it looks like. Also if there is bore scoring the rear bumper cover gets all black and sooty… clean oil is paramount…
As for the paint… you can try using some grit and buff it out just to see what happens. Sounds like the paint is torched.. so you plan to repaint??
Bumper is clean, not sooty at all. Is the driving minimum of 6+ miles real? Or if I drive less juat need to change oil more often?

Yeah, plan on repainting. Repainting with the original lapis blue.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
chefridge- I bought my 2007 Cayman S with 22k miles form Millenia Motors in Longwood, Florida. It had been owned by a Disney exc, second owner, who drove it 5 miles each way almost every day, He owned it for 6 years using that routine and did take great care of the car at Orlando Porsche. I have a full record from CarFax of all the maintenance the previous owner did, but when it was time for him to trade it in to Porsche for a new GT4, they could not take it due to the 1st owner over rev report. So, Porsche got Millenia to broker it to me. A PPI showed no bore scoring, but I am careful and follow Jake Raby @ flatsixinnovations startup directions each day I drive.

A hotter climate does reduce the risk of bore scoring. England and Canada have higher bore score failure rates, so Dallas should be a good climate for your car.

I wonder if your paint has a coating of somesort that looks like plastic. Maybe a good detailer could grind it off down to paint all over then use a ceramic coating before spending $3k or more on a paint job. Or he might give you the two options mentioned above, paint or wrap.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Vinyl wrap will stick regardless if the clear coat is present or not. I wrap various items and materials for hobbies… it’ll stick! It does need to be flat tho. Any uneven surface or chips will show and on some colors even more… without seeing it I wonder if a clear sand could be performed and then a re-clear. I’ve seen it done and the outcome was great

there is no Driving minimum as for mileage… operating temps would be the key word.. enough for the engine temps to burn off any moisture/carbon is the main reason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ngland and Canada have higher bore score failure rates, so Dallas should be a good climate for your car.

I wonder if your paint has a coating of somesort that looks like plastic. Maybe a good deta
Thats a good idea, to take it to a detailer and ask. I was thinking of the vinyl wrap last night and not unless I get the same color, the door jambs, under the hood will not be the same color. It will bug me.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thats a good idea, to take it to a detailer and ask. I was thinking of the vinyl wrap last night and not unless I get the same color, the door jambs, under the hood will not be the same color. It will bug me.
There is a company that color matches vinyl now… I’ll find out the name. I suspect it’s not cheap… I was going to wrap my aero pieces with atlas gray if it’ll match

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The quotes I am getting is from the $1500-2500 range for repaint, all with bodywork to make sure everything is flat and 3 coats of clear on top, probably cheaper if I go Maaco but I really don't want to. Vinyl wrap is around $1700. it's close for both options.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The quotes I am getting is from the $1500-2500 range for repaint, all with bodywork to make sure everything is flat and 3 coats of clear on top, probably cheaper if I go Maaco but I really don't want to. Vinyl wrap is around $1700. it's close for both options.
Don’t go to Maaco. I’d rather have chipped paint…

1 - 20 of 32 Posts