Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Not sure if you guys receive any new members but I'll try:)
I just got my first Porsche and I'm beyond excited. I think I did a pretty good deal as well.
I'm coming from a 2010 Lexus IS250. I loved that sedan but it was so slow and always got me frustrated. It had all the bells and whistles tho.
13371275555_90a3c0a17d_o.jpg 13371404793_3a26e48b18_o.jpg

I exchanged few e-mails with the dealer and made the deal 2 days ago. Drove 150 miles to get it.
It's a 2009 Boxster with PDK, updated sound system, Memory seats and I think that's pretty much it. Very basic. The car has 22k miles and the final deal was $29k out the door with all the taxes and fees included.
IMG_20150512_213029.jpg 20150513_201403.jpg

I'm newbie in this and if anyone has any advice, tips or tricks, are greatly appreciate it.
This would be my daily driver and I cannot express how amazing this car handles compares with anything I had before.
I am in Orlando, Fl so if anyone has good experiences with shops, dealers would be great.
Also the car is not CPO and I have no warranty on it. Should I consider it since will be a DD. I don;t trust warranties but I know repairs can go expensive on this kind of car.
Glad to be part of this community.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Buying the car and coming here makes you a full member...welcome.
It that paint Platinum Silver or GT Silver?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the club! Great choice in color! :)

Advice - PDK is awesome, but IMO to get the most enjoyment out of it you need the Sport Design steering wheel. My car came with the standard "button" style wheel and I hated it. the classic left = downshift right = up shift is so much more intuitive and fun. For me, it was $1k well spent to swap the wheel out. Shop around and you can probably find one for $800 or so and pay an independent shop $100 to install it properly.

RE: warranty, this is just one opinion, but don't waste your money. Your car is a 987.2 car which means more reliable engine than the 987.1 cars. The PDK transmission is damn near bullet proof and you'll have a hard time finding any reports of one failing on a car with 20k miles on it. The only PDK failure reports I've seen happen very early in a car's life. Essentially, if it was going to fail, it would have failed a long time ago on your car. Do the proper maintenance and your car should be as reliable as a Honda.

Take the $2-3k the warranty would cost you, buy a sport design steering wheel, and put the rest away in case a repair does come up.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Gents,
This is the list of options
7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Sound Package Plus
Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
Storage Box on Engine Cover
Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Universal Audio Interface
AN
Black Standard Leather
P15
Power Seat Package
V9
Black Top
X1
Arctic Silver Metallic

I need to do some research on that steering wheel. I'm having hard time to use the one I currently have as I always had upshift on one side and downshift on the other.
At some point I'll have to change the wheels as I don't like those tiny 17".
My car doesn;t have the xenon, is there a way to retrofit this option? It can be done with changing the bulb or the whole headlight assembly?
Any good source of buying parts?
Thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
the sport design wheel is the solution for those of us who are trained for left down , right up shifting. I, like you, just could not get my brain wrapped around the push/pull style wheel.

for parts, Suncoast Parts online is a good source

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
the sport design wheel is the solution for those of us who are trained for left down , right up shifting. I, like you, just could not get my brain wrapped around the push/pull style wheel.

for parts, Suncoast Parts online is a good source
Great car! I have never had paddles, and love the buttons. So easy to shift with either hand by just squeezing with my palm.

Anyway my advice: wait for the oil to warm up, say 165 deg, then keep the tach at 12:00 or later!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Congratulations on the Purchase. I am going to offer my advice, even though I have never driven a 2.9 with PDK. Sport Chrono can be retrofired, and it should be added when you can. On the 3.4L, you awake a sleeping beast when you hit Sport, or Sport+. Also the paddle wheel is awesome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your advice! Any idea how much Sport Chrono package cost. Is this something dealer installs I assume?!
With every day passing I enjoy this car more and more. What a fantastic car!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes, the dealer can install it to the tune of about $1,500-$1,600 (parts + labor) for 987.2 PDK, IIRC. Prices vary slight by generation and tranny.

My local dealer came close to the online price from suncoast et al and their install was reasonable at $250. The only downside is sales tax on the parts if bought local, but well worth it IMO to build a relationship with the local dealer and contribute to the local economy.

Eddie

Thank you for your advice! Any idea how much Sport Chrono package cost. Is this something dealer installs I assume?!
With every day passing I enjoy this car more and more. What a fantastic car!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Keyframe13 - welcome!

I too come from a car with paddles - and got the buttons all wrong the first week.
The workaround while waiting for the paddles is to train your left hand - 2nd/3rd fingers to use the the front button for downshift
and to train your thumb on the right hand for the upshift. Less likely to miss a shift this way.

Sill not a real substitute for the paddles though.

I remember the IS250 had lovely materials for interior leather and carpets were very nice and plush.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
First, welcome.

Second, congratulations--I bet you'll love this car!

Third, as others have said, your car is quite reliable (check Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.) and is more reliable than 986 or 987.1 cars.

I had a 987.2 base model with the standard steering wheel and PDK like your car. I now have a 981 S with PDK and the sport wheel with the paddles. I agree with the comments above about how much more fun the paddles are than the buttons found on the standard steering wheel (not to mention how very much classier the sport steering wheel looks). HOWEVER, I suggest going to the dealer and test driving a car with the sport steering wheel to see if it's as big a deal for you as it is for some of the rest of us. It may not be, in which case you could save a bunch of hassle and cash.

Alternatively, most of us don't seem to ever talk about it, but I think there's some way to use the gearshift lever in manual mode going forward and backward for shifting up and down. While I've never tried it, if it works for you that might be another way to steer around (no pun intended) the need for the sport wheel.

All that said, if you do decide to get the sport wheel it'll put a smile on your face. With the paddles and the motor behind me the little kid in me sometimes feels like he's piloting an F1 car.:hilarious:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome to an awesome top down summer!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It truly is. I hesitated so much thinking that it's not a DD car but so far it's been the best car I ever owned by miles.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Welcome. You have great taste in cars. Good luck with the Porsche and as some here say.....drive it like you stole it......or as I like to say....it's the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.:dance:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I use Stashu's in Longwood for servicing. Stan and Robin are great - they've serviced three Porsches for me over the years; very fair!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts