Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all..I am a new owner of a 2008 Cayman.

I purchased this car about a month ago after doing a lot of reading here and on other informational sites. I looked at many 987s mainly due to the price range of the car and selected this one for a few reasons. The other cars I currently own are a 2013 Jaguar XF 5.0 Supercharged (My Wife is the primary driver) and a 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia. I was looking for an auto, and I understand the angst this causes many here but I have always loved the Cayman for its beauty and decided early in the process I wanted a 987 that would be as comfortable and as originally equipped as possible. From here my primary modifications could be aesthetic and perhaps eventually mild performance modifications. I never had any intent on tracking a 987 although I completely understand the passion and fun that others get out of this.

I went with a 2008 2.7 auto in Arctic Silver with Sea Blue interior with a Tiptronic transmission with 33K miles. Heated seats, Bi-Xenon headlights, Bose Premium ect. It has been everything I had expected and hoped for. Upon buying the car at an incredible price, I took the car to the local Porsche dealer to start the mechanical rehabilitation. I started we pre purchasing all the items needed for the 36K service (plugs, filters, oil) this saved me some money which was good as I also opted for a water pump, coils and brake fluid flush. I declined letting them replace the rear tires because well the prices...lol

Next I replaced all 4 tires and had alignment completed, resurfaced front rotors and replaced front pads. Now the car is mechanically sound and ready to really drive so I can move on the the aesthetics.

The car came with the front license plate installed which I would have preferred not being on the car but taking it off wasn't a great option either so I decided to remove the Cayman badge from the rear deck lid and apply it to a blank black plate and use it in the front. On the rear hatch I added the PORSCHE lettering and the 987 numbers from Suncoast. I had just the rear glass tinted legally and it had the perfect effect of darkening the cabin without doing anything to the side windows.

To complete the rear I swapped tail lights with the Revi brand lights and I could not be more pleased with look quality and performance. I also swapped the side markers for clear.

I seriously debated going to 18" wheels and still may at some point but I love the old school look of 50 series tires on the car for now. Again the ride is smooth and for now this car is all about a comfort and fun for me.

Next up I will delve into the audio system thus far the plan is to keep the bose amp and speakers and change the head unit to an Alpine auto connecting wireless Carplay unit.

Thanks to all the members who post here as your expertise has been invaluable to me so far. I hope you like the photos..more to come as this car evolves.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Enjoy your new Cayman, based on a lot of research, the values will only go up as long as you take good care of it. I recommend starting to learn how to do some of the work yourself, it's much easier than most people think and will save you a lot of money.
The Porsche lettering on the rear looks fantastic. Enjoy your 987 and drive safe.

Best,
Onyx
987S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Onyx, I am very pleased with the lettering as well. I am also very pleased with being able to recycle the silver Cayman badge to the front love how it looks and it matches the Arctic silver so well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Beautiful car! Check out bumperplugs.com for color-matched buttons for the holes, assuming they are symmetrical.

Eastern or Western Carolina if you don't mind my asking.

Reactions: jcolbyc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlotte area..

I have been following your posts and love your car. I cant wait to drive the roads near Asheville and along the parkway. I am very familiar with those as I am an avid motorcycle rider as well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Beautiful car and excellent photography!

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Nice car, congrats. I'd probably do something else about the front bumper. Sounds like you have the car in good shape. Did you replace the cabin and engine filters? As far as the performance if you haven't done it yet, wind that thing out to just below redline to get a good feeling of the engine response and the sound. For some reason the 2.7 can really howl when it is pushed. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much. I definitely changed the filters on both the engine oil and cabin.

You are right the 2.7 definitely howls when pushed I love the sound. I am debating an upgrade to exhaust but am really on the fence about it being an annoyance. I have looked at the afe with its resonance chambers and of course borla and the others. I's love to experience the sound from the cabin before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a great color combination! Would love to see some color pics as well. Welcome to the obsession!

Reactions: Onyx987S

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,845 Posts
Thanks so much. I definitely changed the filters on both the engine oil and cabin.

You are right the 2.7 definitely howls when pushed I love the sound. I am debating an upgrade to exhaust but am really on the fence about it being an annoyance. I have looked at the afe with its resonance chambers and of course borla and the others. I's love to experience the sound from the cabin before pulling the trigger.
Most folks think the Carnewal modification to the standard exhaust hits the sweet spot between increased Porsche soundtrack & annoying noise. It does remove the catalytic converters from the muffler sections, so if you want to keep them intact the only other choice that I'm aware of is Porsche sport exhaust or PSE.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats your car looks fantastic with the mods. I have looking for replacement tail lights for my 987.2 Cayman S. You mention REVI brand, would be able to send me a link. Lastly, to round out the "bad-axx" look you may want to consider wheel spacers and possibly lowering springs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That car is gorgeous! I would leave it just as it sits! Simple and elegant! The 17s look great on those cars, IMO. Love to see some pics of that blue interior!

·
PCA Member
189 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful pictures.

Enjoy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next Friday I am having a Alpine ILX107 installed for wireless Apple Carplay and a backup camera. I will retain the the bose amp and speakers through a optical converter box.

I will check out the exhaust...its a possibility.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts