Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local garage finally got in a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for my 2013 981S. The original Pirelli P Zero tires still had tread, but had gotten really loud as they wore.

I have the 20" tires, and found that my local guy was less expensive than the online discount tire retailers. The set of four was actually about $150 cheaper. (The 235/35/20's were $292.21 each, and the 265/35/20's were $309.51 each. No shipping charges, of course.) I also had an alignment done, and they found the tow was off on all four wheels, camber off on three, and front caster was spot on. I just got the car back and drove it for about 20 miles just to see if there is any obvious difference.

These tires are much quieter, and the annoying whining from the Perellis is gone. The car feels even more planted than before, but I'm not sure if that's the tires or the alignment. In the next few days I'll have a chance to put some miles on the car and run some of our local twisties, so I should have a better feel for what these tires can do.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
good to hear, Stan. I'm planning to put these on next Spring when my fronts (also P Zeros) are finally shot. Will probably upgrade my wheels at that time as well. I haven't been unhappy with the P Zeros, but put the old gen PSS's on my RX-7 a few years ago and they made a world of difference, so expecting good things with this new generation. Please tell us more once you've done some more miles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have had the OS4S for two track days. You will like them. Still, I wish I had a set of 19" wheels and Toyos or Hoosiers. That would shave almost three seconds from my lap times.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My local garage finally got in a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for my 2013 981S. The original Pirelli P Zero tires still had tread, but had gotten really loud as they wore.

I have the 20" tires, and found that my local guy was less expensive than the online discount tire retailers. The set of four was actually about $150 cheaper. (The 235/35/20's were $292.21 each, and the 265/35/20's were $309.51 each. No shipping charges, of course.) I also had an alignment done, and they found the tow was off on all four wheels, camber off on three, and front caster was spot on. I just got the car back and drove it for about 20 miles just to see if there is any obvious difference.

These tires are much quieter, and the annoying whining from the Perellis is gone. The car feels even more planted than before, but I'm not sure if that's the tires or the alignment. In the next few days I'll have a chance to put some miles on the car and run some of our local twisties, so I should have a better feel for what these tires can do.

So far, so good.
Good to hear this. I am also considering these. I found issues with my alignment similar to yours. I have done an alignment and hope to get a few more months out of the Pirelli's before I jump to the 4S tires. I have 10077 miles on my PBS.

·
Registered
483 Posts
While I don't relish the $$, I'm looking forward to getting these on the Cayman in another 6-12 months when my new rears wear down to match the OEM fronts.

I put the 4S on an E92 M3 in place of some Contis and really like them there!!!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Text Design Font Plan Diagram

This is the alignment sheet. Had a chance to push the car today and very impressed with the stability of these tires. The Pirellis were good, but these do actually feel more "solid" and even a bit more compliant. More testing to come.

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have the 20" tires, and found that my local guy was less expensive than the online discount tire retailers.
Do you mind naming the retailer? Thx. The 'best' (or more like the least worse) local shop is a Discount Tire. Tires are always more expensive there, but they usually match online prices. If not, I just send them there. But they still always manage to mess up my wheels, even if a little. I'd like to try somebody else next time. Read the correct machine to use to avoid any damage is a Hunter REVOLUTION, not just any Hunter. Hopefully your shop is one of the many that have opened here recently. I could always order tires and send them to the shop, but if they're cheaper at the shop, and they have the right machine to avoid ANY damage, it'd be a win-win;). Thanks man.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They use Hofmann alignment equipment, not Hunter. It is just a family owned local shop, and not affiliated in any way with any of the national chains. I use them because the guys there are real mechanics, know me, and take care of me. They called me when they were doing the tires because they were keeping my car overnight and wanted me to know that they were moving it inside because a rain storm was coming in. They were afraid we might get hail. These guys are honest, offer reasonable prices, and do excellent work. That's a tough combination to find lately.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
They use Hofmann alignment equipment, not Hunter.
I was talking about the tire changing machine, not the alignment one. The only tire changing machines advanced enough for any operator to avoid scratching a wheel are the afforementioned Hunter Revolution, and Corghi Master Code. Other less advanced machines could avoid damaging the wheels, but depends on the operator. The Discount Tire shop I take my wheels to has a lesser Hunter. If they don't locate the bar perfectly (not too close, not too far), and tighten the hell out if it, damage happens. And still haven't seen an operator take the time I'd take to assure doing it right. Just like with auto mechanics, they get paid by the job, so they're always in a freaking hurry, to make more money. Next time I'll ask if I can give money to the operator so he can SLOWLY do the job, so he makes it right. Shouldn't have to do that, but rather spend it than getting my wheels damaged.

·
Registered
267 Posts
View attachment 159482

This is the alignment sheet. Had a chance to push the car today and very impressed with the stability of these tires. The Pirellis were good, but these do actually feel more "solid" and even a bit more compliant. More testing to come.
I noticed your alignment spec says "PASM -20". I thought our cars with PASM were only 10mm below standard and the sport suspension was -20mm? Do you have suspension height mods on yours?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed your alignment spec says "PASM -20". I thought our cars with PASM were only 10mm below standard and the sport suspension was -20mm? Do you have suspension height mods on yours?
No mods. That was what the alignment software had listed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Stan, were you on the original set of Pirellis before the switch? Can I ask what mileage you got out of them? PS4s are on my list but I wonder just how soon I'll likely need them (I don't track, but the local wildlife would probably tell you I think I do).

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stan, were you on the original set of Pirellis before the switch? Can I ask what mileage you got out of them? PS4s are on my list but I wonder just how soon I'll likely need them (I don't track, but the local wildlife would probably tell you I think I do).
Yes, these are the replacements my OEM Pirellis. I have just under 14,000 miles on the car and, although the tread still had more life, they were getting really loud on the road ... an intrusive whining noise at any speed over 40 or 50. The outer treads looked rough. My guess is that I could have gotten another 2-3,000 miles out of the Pirellis, but it wasn't worth it to me. We also found a screw buried in one of the tires after they came off, but the tire still held air.

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, these are the replacements my OEM Pirellis. I have just under 14,000 miles on the car and, although the tread still had more life, they were getting really loud on the road ... an intrusive whining noise at any speed over 40 or 50. The outer treads looked rough. My guess is that I could have gotten another 2-3,000 miles out of the Pirellis, but it wasn't worth it to me. We also found a screw buried in one of the tires after they came off, but the tire still held air.
Sounds like my car has a similar wear pattern on the Goodyears. Tread depth on the outside is close to done at 14k miles. Inside still ok.

The last place I used was America's Tire and they gouged my wheels. Anyone in the south SF Bay Area know a good reliable tire shop?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just replaced original Pirellis with about 23k on my CS. Road noise wasnt the issue just tread depth and grip. The 4s tires seem to be the most "round" tires I've ever owned. The car rides glass smooth on good pavement. The service advisor even commented that they were almost perfect and only required one small weight on each wheel for road force balancing. The grip of the Michelins is incredible, ride is decent and the noise is ok. The biggest negative is an increase of booming resonance sound when the rear wheels hit expansion joints at highway speed. I am going to lower the tire pressure down to 32 from 34 and see if that helps soften them a bit to reduce shock transmission.
The tires I found to be great for street use on my 987CS were Bridgestone S04 Pole Position. They are economically priced but not available in the correct width for 20" wheels. You can go up 10mm in width but I chose to go with standard size and try the Michelins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.