Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner, purchased two weeks ago, but swamped with work and some unfavorable weather here in Chicago has prevented any good pictures from getting taken so these phone pics will have to do. First Porsche so I'm pretty excited.

Details:
- 2007 Cayman S, almost all options except sport chrono, 6200 miles! (seller obviously never drove it - good for me!)
- PSS9 coilovers
- Remus exhaust
- Harness bar
- GT3 brake ducts

Had all the exact mods I was planning on doing so no additional mods planned at this time, perhaps some dedicated track wheels but that's probably it for a while. Perhaps next year I will heavily consider the TPC turbo kit :)

Local seller in Chicago and the price was right so I had to jump on it. This will be a minimal DD (take public trans to work) and track car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, anyone else experience a darkening/blackening of their front calipers? Most likely brake dust, but previous owner was not exactly sure what exactly was causing it. Think this could be replaced/resprayed under warranty?

First two pictures are the fronts, last picture is the back (no noticeable coloration)

·
Registered
973 Posts
wow those calipers are really dark, not sure why with such low miles..i have 12k miles and still bright red..

car looks good, but throw some clear side markers on there ;)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Very nice. Seems like some people are finding good deals on low milage Caymans recently.

·
Registered
232 Posts
nice, looks like your car has no wheel gap in the front and hardly any in the back. i like that. and i've heard Remus exhaust was sweet. i'm sure the last owner lost a lot of money on it, but i'm happy you got a great deal

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also, anyone else experience a darkening/blackening of their front calipers? Most likely brake dust, but previous owner was not exactly sure what exactly was causing it. Think this could be replaced/resprayed under warranty?

First two pictures are the fronts, last picture is the back (no noticeable coloration)
I used to own a Mitsubishi Evo. It was a badge of honor among the guys who tracked their Evos to turn their red Brembo calipers brown.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
With those mods, it can be safe to assume that the car had been tracked hard. The discoloration of the calipers is most likely from them overheating.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice find!!
I'd take off the front wheels and give the calipers a good cleaning w/ a degreaser product or something, I bet you can get them looking much better

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
New owner, purchased two weeks ago, but swamped with work and some unfavorable weather here in Chicago has prevented any good pictures from getting taken so these phone pics will have to do. First Porsche so I'm pretty excited.

Details:
- 2007 Cayman S, almost all options except sport chrono, 6200 miles! (seller obviously never drove it - good for me!)
- PSS9 coilovers
- Remus exhaust
- Harness bar
- GT3 brake ducts

Had all the exact mods I was planning on doing so no additional mods planned at this time, perhaps some dedicated track wheels but that's probably it for a while. Perhaps next year I will heavily consider the TPC turbo kit :)

Local seller in Chicago and the price was right so I had to jump on it. This will be a minimal DD (take public trans to work) and track car.
Boat:

This car has obviously been tracked. The discoloration of the discs is probably just rust. If the brakes make a grinding noise when you first pull out, that will confirm it.

I'd suspect either the calipers were overheated...from using street pads on the track or someone used a tire/wheel cleaner of some sort while the brakes were still hot. Likely the second thing. It could be a film that could be removed with aerosol brake cleaner or another solvent.

You need to read about the problems guys have had with power steering and engines and even brakes of these cars with heavy track use. Go the forum and look for problems and complaints to start. You can skip the little stuff although there are some slick solutions to things.

I imagine you have Bose. Check out Articles and search "Bose" for a simple procedure you can do to stuff the subwoofer with poly pillow batting from a craft store, like "Michaels". My wife had a $10 bag of this stuff that has already done 3 cars and isn't half used. It makes a night and day difference in the quality of the sound and takes 20 minutes.

I'm also in Chicago, West burbs. PM me if you want to meet. I've had mine since May of 2009.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boat:

This car has obviously been tracked. The discoloration of the discs is probably just rust. If the brakes make a grinding noise when you first pull out, that will confirm it.

I'd suspect either the calipers were overheated...from using street pads on the track or someone used a tire/wheel cleaner of some sort while the brakes were still hot. Likely the second thing. It could be a film that could be removed with aerosol brake cleaner or another solvent.

You need to read about the problems guys have had with power steering and engines and even brakes of these cars with heavy track use. Go the forum and look for problems and complaints to start. You can skip the little stuff although there are some slick solutions to things.

I imagine you have Bose. Check out Articles and search "Bose" for a simple procedure you can do to stuff the subwoofer with poly pillow batting from a craft store, like "Michaels". My wife had a $10 bag of this stuff that has already done 3 cars and isn't half used. It makes a night and day difference in the quality of the sound and takes 20 minutes.

I'm also in Chicago, West burbs. PM me if you want to meet. I've had mine since May of 2009.
Excellent info, thanks! Yes, I am completely aware that the car has been tracked (driven by seller's wife) so no surprises there. I plan on jacking the car up, removing the wheels and taking a closer look this weekend. My gf lives in the Northwest suburbs (Palatine) so I am out there quite frequently. I will definitely send you a PM for a meet up.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
boatrace: Sixisenuff's post led me look closer at the calipers and rotors. Brand new rotors have the same kind of fine straight lines in them that your left front rotor has. Those fine lines typically wear down to produce a smooth surface during the initial burnishing (braking-in) process. I don't see those lines in the right front rotor.

Also, if the darkness of the rotors is due to rust, they should become brighter and more polished from brake use.

I have no idea why the calipers are so dark, but, if the rotors don't polish from braking, they may have been darkened by whatever darkened the calipers.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Do you need to do this on a 2009 model Cayman S and up as well?

Boat:

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Do you need to do this on a 2009 model Cayman S and up as well?
Investor: I'm not sure. I don't have a 2009 model Cayman S. If the thing sounds a little boom-boxy and all you want to listen to on it is the news, that's probably what's wrong. With good sound isolation in this box, the whole stereo sounds like it should for the money paid.

It ain't difficult. It doesn't show and it's completely reversable. It's difficult to imagine better bang for the buck.

Every car, especially every sports car, has foibles and the Cayman S is certainly no exception to that.

If one wants "perfection" and can put up with boredom, one should buy Japanese or Korean or Buick. Those cars won't make you feel like a Cayman S makes you feel, however, when you drive it. :dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts