Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Guys,

I am a new member here and I love to see that it is actually active and that the posts are reliable and interesting.
So I finally turned 18 and got my driving License. I live here in Dubai where the weather is sunny all year round and used cars are super cheap. So i decided to spend my entire childhood savings and buy a car. I wanted a convertible and I found a Porsche Boxster 987 2006 with 80 KM and full service with official Porsche. The car is completely original with not even a single thing modified or changed (obviously things have even replaced and fixed for service reasons but no mods to engine or exhaust and etc.)

i was hoping that anyone has any advice for having a Porsche Boxster and how to maintain in general a first car.
Also are there any touch ups that I can do as the car as a few scratches in the interior.
here’s a picture of the car ?

I’d love some comments and I’ll for sure be posting and replying to other people’s posts soon as well?

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's a great first car, congratulations! Huge props for saving and buying something for yourself, you'll forever appreciate the car a lot more that way.

If you want to go the DIY route for maintenance, this forum has a lot of valuable information. There's a service schedule PDF floating around this forum somewhere... Use that for reference and then just search for how to complete those maintenance tasks. Just about everything has been covered between this forum and other internet sources.

Have fun and happy motoring!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, thanks for replying and I appreciate the support, it means a lot, I have received quite a bit of negative feedback from my friends at school as they thought it was stupid to buy a car. And called it a old piece of crap. But I fell in love with the car the second I saw it and it checked all my boxes and I am so proud to have such a beautiful car.
anyways, I find the DIY route very interesting and a cool way to build on the car and gain experience with cars in general. However as I am nowhere near experienced in the mechanical side of cars, I will leave all the servicing to the PorscheCenter here in Dubai.
I have had it for a about two months now and unfortunately at the end of December the car began to show an engine failure sign, which was because I needed spark plugs changed so I was not concerned as I knew this before hand and was told by Porsche it was no immediate need for change until the next service required, which is once a year or every 5 or 10k. But the car began to smell like fuel after I had driven it so I took it right away and they spent quite some time looking for the cause, and if I heard him correctly on the phone it was something called an gas casket, that was cracked which was not a surprise it’s 13 year old car but that it was not leaking yet so that was lucky. So right now it’s in the shop, unfortunately for another week or so ask they need to order the reserve part from Germany.
Anyways, back to the DIY, since it’s a car with a history it has a few modifications I would love to do

firstly, the cd/radio is really a setback as i love to drive with the roof down and blast music. However, I think one of the door speakers are damaged as it sounds very poor when there is a lot of bass in a song.
So I’d love to find new speakers and a cool project to do.
Also, there is not Bluetooth or even an aux cord in it and I am currently using a Bluetooth transmitter but I’d like to find a better option if you know any?
Additionally, the car has some exterior and interior paint scratches. I have ordered original touch up paint for the exterior from Porsche in Germany but they didn’t have for the interior, which is beige and I was wondering if you had any suggestions.
Here’s a few pictures

·
Registered
393 Posts
Never let others (in person or online) tell you what to do with your cars or how to modify them. If we all bought cars or modified them for the approval of others, all our cars would look the same. My car gets a lot of hate in the Porsche purist community, but I'm proud that it stands out on the road and the track. It is never mistaken for someone else's car.

Probably a regional thing, that your friends would call it crap.
An 18 year old in most parts of the USA driving a Boxster would be called spoiled.

I was 18 when I got my first car and that's when I first started learning how to do things myself. I was not mechanically inclined at all, but I drove a more expensive car and I knew I would have to do the work myself to afford it.

I had to get help with my first oil change, because I didn't know what to do.
Ten years later, and I'm doing engine swaps, drivetrain swaps, and rebuilding cars from the ground up.

The first thing was acquiring the tools. I had to buy a jack, jack stands, oil drain pan, and some basic tools for my first oil change. Total cost was the same if I had let a shop do the work. But doing it myself meant I had all the tools to do it again, so future work wouldn't cost me any extra.

When I did spark plugs on my Porsche, it cost me like $30 US for the plugs, an hour of my own time, and I already had the wrenches I would need. I get enjoyment out of working on cars, so even though I now have the money, I'd rather do the work myself. Plus, all those savings can then be invested into modifications and further make my car unique.

Even if you mess something up and have to do things twice, it's still usually cheaper to take the DIY route. Then you're left with the satisfaction of having done it yourself, the knowledge on how to do it again, and the bragging rights that you can repair your own car. One day, your friends with have their own cars and when they have an issue, they'll be calling you for advice.

For adding bluetooth to an older car like this, you might want to consider something like the Dension Gateway or other similar units. You could also consider replacing the head unit for something compatible with your car. I took the radio out of my car, so I'm not familiar with what options are available for the 987.

Speaker upgrades can be simple or complex. You can find replacement options that sound better than OEM and are an easy swap, or you can go for a more advanced system for a significantly better sound. There's a few threads on the forums of people upgrading sound systems.

As for the interior touchup color, you might even want to consider taking out the center console and having it painted to match the exterior. It's a really sharp look on convertibles and would look great with your red.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that is very true, but the difference is that they are driving newer, more expensive cars, but these aren't their cars. They are just driving their parent's cars. Whereas I'm actually driving a car, that I own myself. I have looked at replacing the entire radio/cd system and building a pioneer screen into it, as this would enable bluetooth, navigation, etc. But It is still a large project to do, and I was hoping to find a cheap and easy solution to use aux, or bluetooth, for the next few weeks, until I save up some more money, as the pioneer screens, are quite expensive.

But I wanted to keep the interior entirely beige as I love this colour, but I simply can not find a match that is very close to the interior. I found somewhere else on the web, a specific colour code that people have brought to Home Depot, and it was a almost identical match, but there is no Home Depot here in Dubai.

I was wondering if you happened to know, if I wanted to just put an aux cable in, would the input be inside the radio section, or the CD player that is in the front trunk?

Thanks, I also took a look at a few pictures of the Porsche you drive, if I'm right its a Boxster correct? or is it a Carrera that has been modified for the tracks. Love the colour combination of the white and blue. ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it's a rattle can color from Home Depot, then it's probably a Krylon or Rustoleum paint. You should be able to find those locally or online. Though just for touch ups, you might even find a local paint store that can scan the interior color and mix up a small can of paint to match. Then just carefully apply it with a small touchup brush.

I'm not sure about the audio stuff, so hopefully someone else can chime in!

Thanks! It is a 987 Boxster S, "Not a 911" ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks absolutely eye catching and awesome! Yeah, but to be fair the boxster and Carrera looked almost identical from the front, and that was the picture I saw previously ?. Is it a 2012 Boxster S?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah okay cool. That will make more sense now when I read about the 987 online. So would the 2006 boxster also be considered a gen 1?

·
Registered
393 Posts
We both drive 987.1 :)

1997-2004 is 986
2005-2008 is 987.1
2009-2012 is 987.2
2013-2016 is 981
2017+ is 718

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
congrats on the new car.... lucky dude.... :)

perhaps you can remove the ash tray and take it to a paint to sample shop and see if they can match that colour.
I too have a sand beige interior and there are like 5 different shades in the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

perhaps you can remove the ash tray and take it to a paint to sample shop and see if they can match that colour.
I too have a sand beige interior and there are like 5 different shades in the car.
oh there’s 5 different shades in the car? Damn... have you repainted yours? Also have you done any mods or diy’s to your car that you can recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
With as many scratches and marks as your pictures show you should definitely sand, prime and re-spay those parts and probably re-do the whole center console area; either in place or remove the pieces, this way everything will match.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what kind of mods were you looking for?
well to be honest, just about anything. It’s my first car, and I’m a young guy and it’s a older model, so there are many things that I would like to do such as changing and upgrading speakers, looking for opportunities to integrate parking cameras and etc. would also love to fix up the Scratches and stuff. basically any diy mod could be interesting, anything from exterior to interior to the engine and etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Have you touched up any of those parts in your interior?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts