Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't necessarily want to go crazy trying to keep my car looking new but I would consider have a detailer come and perform a service every month or 2.

For washing my own car what do you think of this kit plus some microfiber towels?

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Complete-Car-Care-Kit/dp/B0012ZEZ8A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509295513&sr=8-5&keywords=car+wash+kit

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC_506_12-Professional-Microfiber/dp/B00A8MZ7IA/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1509297128&sr=1-10&keywords=microfiber+towels+for+cars

I haven't washed a car in about 15 years.

Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
See obsessed-garage.myshopify.com/ You will get an idea for wash kits (soap, towel etc etc). I dont shop there but he experiments alot with various detailing items. I shop at autogeek mostly. I get towels from theragcompany. Just got another batch of them. pads and towels... can't have enough

·
Registered
326 Posts
I buy most of his recommendations through AG or other sites. Except the pressure washer. $1500 pressure washer is ridiculous. Towels are most important. So, choose the right ones. I've OG recommended towels. For the black paint, they are good. I dry my car using makita leaf blower. Towels are mainly for applying quick detailer, polishing, waxing and buffing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with the comments suggesting high quality towels.

One big change in the marketplace since you last washed a car (15 years!) is the advent of waterless wash products. I have great success with McKees waterless wash on the go. Depending on what you’re exposing your car to, that type of a product used with great towels will cut your washing way down. Even on my daily driver I hardly ever get the hose and bucket out anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Another website that offers numerous "how to's"... and, of course their own products is AMMONYC --- (no affiliation)
AMMONYC is just launching a "new" video series with the first being a general tutorial... Home | AMMO AUTO CARE INC.
Larry Kosilla is the owner and is pretty obsessive about detailing.
I've used their sealer and "soap" for a couple years now and am very satisfied.. Prices are a bit above big box store items.

D

·
Registered
326 Posts
His stuff is like designer cloths. Expensive!!! There are excellent products you can buy from AG. Even some Meg's stuff from AutoZone are pretty good. I use Meg's gold wash soap.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I went to obsessed-garage.myshopify.com and, well, WOW! You do know you can go to Pep Boys and buy just about any brand of car soap, I use Meguiars for about $5. You can go to Home Depot and pick up a 5 gallon utility bucket, $5. You can go to Costco, and perhaps Walmart or Target and get a pack of about 15 microfiber towels for around $15. You can go to Costco or Walmart and pickup a couple of full sized bath towels for about $30 maybe less. Nothing special here and it all works great. BTW, never wash or dry your "car wash" towels using fabric softener, it leaves a coating on the towels that will smear your glass windows and paint. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally got around to getting some items to clean the car and tires.

I bought a few things from AG, the rag company, and amazon. I still need to get a bucket or 2 and I like the idea of home depot for that. Looking forward to trying the foam gun this spring and the waterless wash next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I buy good quality microfiber towels but do not obsess over brand. I use Meguiars car wash. I use Meguars NX 2.0 Synthetic wax that I apply with a micro fiber towel on a 6" orbital buffer and remove with same. I use Chemical Guys foam cannon (putting the Meguiars in the cannon), microfiber mit, clean water bucket to rinse the mit each time. Microfiber drying towel. This process has been used for years. When I traded my 2014 Black Cayman in on my 2016 Mahogany Metallic Cayman the dealer could not believe the lack of swirl marks. My 2016 is just about flawless paint finish 2 1/2 years later. Friday, we traded my wife's 2015 A3 (Brilliant Red) 56,000 miles on a 2018 A3. The dealer gave us $1,000 over what NADA Black Book valued as an exceptional trade.......his comment was, the car looks brand new......I cannot believe the finish on the paint. Oh.....forgot to mention, I claybar our cars at least once per year. For what it is worth...............Net net, use good quality products, take care in how you wash and wax and your finish will far exceed most of any cars on the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't buy any wax yet.

I did buy the Meguiar's Wheel & Tire Kit and the Mckee's waterless kit.

Record temps expected here tuesday and wednesday- 70+! I will definitely clean both my summer and winter wheels if I get my stuff.

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Once you go ceramic you will never go back. ;)

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just going to throw my two cents out there. I never worried about car washing and detailing, before. My beaters were just fine with Auto Zone products.

But, getting a nice Cayman and joining the PCA opened my eyes. One of our PCA chapter events was hosted at Adam's Polishes, in Louisville, Colorado. They did an amazing job of showing exactly how each tier of product was designed and worked. Adam brought in a member's classic 911SC and did a full correction and detail on it in front of us. Coupled with wine and good food, it was an excellent production.

So, I have taken to purchasing Adam's Polishes products whenever possible. They always do 15% promos and I think the shipping might be flat rate. I just do local pickups. Their plush microfiber towels are the best I have ever used. They have lots of very helpful YouTube videos for each step of the correction and finishing processes. I swear by their H2O Guard and Gloss. All I tend to do is a monthly pressure wash, then dry the car with spritzes of H2O Guard & Gloss and wipe off. Magic stuff. Once a year, I do a full clay and DA orbital finishing polish.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Please elaborate!
A ceramic coating puts an end to wax. Just wash with a neutral soap and it shines better than any wax, plus has other protective qualities you can see here:

Ceramic Coating For Cars - Ceramic Pro Americas

"Ceramic Pro is a multi-layerable, clear, liquid nano-ceramic coating. When cured, this technology will transform itself on the surface to a permanent, durable yet flexible glass shield. Ceramic Pro can be described as an additional clear coat, with 3 times the hardness and self cleaning properties.

I got my 981 done as soon as I could after I bought it and man it's great. Here in the Charleston, SC area Kurt Karasch at Paragon Auto Detailing is a perfectionist. My car on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ParagonAutoDetailing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1340968842697107

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use Chadwicks Triple Play or what ever its called. Its a waterless wash. I live in NV and the water is hard out here. It takes me like 20 min to do the whole car. I gave up on hand washing cars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think you're going to find that the advice on what's "best" will end up being what each person uses. The reality is, there are tons of great products on the market. You don't have to empty your bank account to make your car look good. Meguiars and Mothers both make great retail products if you follow the directions. I think most would agree, it's important to start with a wash, a clay bar to remove impurities, and then decide the approach you want to take with polish/sealant or wax. From there, maintenance should be a lot easier for the rest of the year. I have a black car (tough to keep looking nice), but still use easy-to-find at your LAPS products. I wash with Meguiars Gold Class wash, clay bar, use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and then Meguiars sealant. After that, a simple wash and application of Meguiars Fast Finish works great at keeping things looking good. Keep your microfibers clean and free of debris, only wash them with other microfiber stuff, and use the two-bucket method to wash (see youtube if you don't know what this is). There are a million other combinations of products that will work just as well. Just stick to something you're comfortable with that's in your budget.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts