Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new Cayman this afternoon. The dealer has offered to swap out the 17" wheels for the 18" S wheels for $1200. I know the ride would be a bit harsher and tire replacement cost higher. I would appreciate any other thoughts pro or con on the upgrade. Thank you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
17's look tiny on a Cayman. Skip the 18's and just buy a set of aftermarket 19's unless you have some terrible roads; the stock suspension won't be harsh.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Personally, if you're thinking about going aftermarket anyways, skip the deal. If you plan on keeping with stock wheels, I'd go for the 18". The upgrade is worth it.

Good luck!
-Moto

I just picked up my new Cayman this afternoon. The dealer has offered to swap out the 17" wheels for the 18" S wheels for $1200. I know the ride would be a bit harsher and tire replacement cost higher. I would appreciate any other thoughts pro or con on the upgrade. Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
considering that a new set of 18 inch tires alone, without the wheels, will set you back almost $1k, if you do the upgrade later... its not a bad deal at all to do it now, if indeed that is what you're looking for.

18s look bigger and more proportional than 17, yet not as harsh a ride as 19s and less susceptible to road rash and scratches as the 19s. Road rash wise, the 17s provide the biggest margin for errors of course. I've never actually seen 17 inch rims on a cayman with scratches on them.

Both 18s and 19s offer wider track and better grip because of the wider rims and wider tires, that translates to better handling, when compared to the 17s.

Of course 17s will offer the plushest ride and is a much better set up for winter use. The narrower tire size on the 17s offer better grip in the wet during rainy days, regardless of your choice of tires. And when matched with winter tires offer the best possible winter set up for the Cayman.

The narrower track of the stock 17s also throws less road debris onto the sides of the car, reducing the possibility of scratches to the sides of the car and the sides of the rear bumper.

One other aspect I would consider is weight. Since you're on a base cayman with less power, a heavier wheel and tire combo would rob you a bit of your acceleration. 17 inch set up is the lightest stock set up, that will allow you the best straight line acceleration. Handling and cornering would be marginally better on the 18s though.

Of course if you go for aftermarket 18 inch and 19 inch later, after you've put on miles on the car and know exactly what you want, there are many application out there that are much lighter than stock Porsche wheels. Offering more aggressive offset that allows a more flush look of the wheels and tires with the car's fender trim on top of better handling. But it won't cost you 1200 bucks:)

·
Registered
620 Posts
All good advice. I went from stock 18s to aftermarket 19s. I didn't notice a change in harshness, though it probably changed at least a little. IMHO all Caymans ride firmly, so going a little more aggressive doesn't change the ride harshness much. I agree 18s look much better than 17s - IMHO. Since you live in Texas, winter/snow use is not much of an issue. I would study the weights as someone suggested, whether you go OEM or aftermarket. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
considering that a new set of 18 inch tires alone, without the wheels, will set you back almost $1k, if you do the upgrade later... its not a bad deal at all to do it now, if indeed that is what you're looking for.

18s look bigger and more proportional than 17, yet not as harsh a ride as 19s and less susceptible to road rash and scratches as the 19s. Road rash wise, the 17s provide the biggest margin for errors of course. I've never actually seen 17 inch rims on a cayman with scratches on them.

Both 18s and 19s offer wider track and better grip because of the wider rims and wider tires, that translates to better handling, when compared to the 17s.

Of course 17s will offer the plushest ride and is a much better set up for winter use. The narrower tire size on the 17s offer better grip in the wet during rainy days, regardless of your choice of tires. And when matched with winter tires offer the best possible winter set up for the Cayman.

The narrower track of the stock 17s also throws less road debris onto the sides of the car, reducing the possibility of scratches to the sides of the car and the sides of the rear bumper.

One other aspect I would consider is weight. Since you're on a base cayman with less power, a heavier wheel and tire combo would rob you a bit of your acceleration. 17 inch set up is the lightest stock set up, that will allow you the best straight line acceleration. Handling and cornering would be marginally better on the 18s though.

Of course if you go for aftermarket 18 inch and 19 inch later, after you've put on miles on the car and know exactly what you want, there are many application out there that are much lighter than stock Porsche wheels. Offering more aggressive offset that allows a more flush look of the wheels and tires with the car's fender trim on top of better handling. But it won't cost you 1200 bucks:)
Thanks for all the great advice. I should clarify that the $1200 would be swapping my 17"s out for the 18". As somone else pointed out winter driving is not factor for me in Texas. I asked the dealer about the weight of the 18" and he contends the the 17" and 18" weigh "within a pound or two" of each other. He says the suspension is tuned for a certain weight and Porsche compensates in wheel design regardless of size to meet that target weight. Sounds like that might not be the case based on your comments.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Somewhere on here, there is a listing of the sizes and weights of all OEM wheels. (Maybe a more experienced member will point us there). There are significant differences in the weights of various OEM wheels, in each of the diameters. The dealer comment about tuning the suspension and wheel weights to match is a little embellished - the designers will have attempted low weight with styling/construction sometimes adding a few pounds. A someone also said, you can find quality aftermarket wheels that are lighter in some cases. They'll roughly range from ~$300 each to ~$2000+ each on the lunatic fringe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Somewhere on here, there is a listing of the sizes and weights of all OEM wheels. (Maybe a more experienced member will point us there). There are significant differences in the weights of various OEM wheels, in each of the diameters. The dealer comment about tuning the suspension and wheel weights to match is a little embellished - the designers will have attempted low weight with styling/construction sometimes adding a few pounds. A someone also said, you can find quality aftermarket wheels that are lighter in some cases. They'll roughly range from ~$300 each to ~$2000+ each on the lunatic fringe.
That link to wheel weights would be interesting to look at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is some info (with a link to some more):
http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-wheels/37689-wheel-weights.html

Here is a little more:
Planet-9 - FAQ: Cayman Options

Still didn't find an all-inclusive OEM weight list I was hoping for.

For comparison, here's a cost effective lightweight aftermarket 18":
O.Z. Alleggerita HLT Anthracite Painted
Great--thank you. I will take a look at those links. I'm new to the Porsche world but does aftermarket generally cause folks heartburn in that it's "not Porsche"?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
That's probably a it depends. Some people get wound up with all OEM and originality. Could matter if you ever plan on showing it in 25 years or so. Otherwise for whatever my opinion is worth it depends on the quality of the piece. If you go with the kind of wheels being discussed here I wouldn't expect any grief. Of course this is my opinion and your mileage could vary.

What kind of tires are on the 18's?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Reiterate what was said above. On aftermarket wheels you have to be careful on weight. I followed up on an ad for attractive wheels advertised for the Cayman. When I asked for weights, which were not stated, they were 30#!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Reiterate what was said above. On aftermarket wheels you have to be careful on weight. I followed up on an ad for attractive wheels advertised for the Cayman. When I asked for weights, which were not stated, they were 30#!
+1

Weight is a make or break factor on the Cayman, IMHO one of the best driver's car in the world.

For 18" wheel, you want to keep it under 20 lbs per wheel, there are really only 2 manufacturing methods that I know that will attain these numbers and keep a proper structural ridigity for the wheels:
Flow forming
Forging

For $1200, you can get Forgestar in 18" that weight 17.6 lbs for the front wheels and 19 lbs for the rear wheels. They are flow formed and very robust.

Plenty of options in the Porsche aftermarket, if you need any help on your tire selection, offset selection, etc., we can help ! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's probably a it depends. Some people get wound up with all OEM and originality. Could matter if you ever plan on showing it in 25 years or so. Otherwise for whatever my opinion is worth it depends on the quality of the piece. If you go with the kind of wheels being discussed here I wouldn't expect any grief. Of course this is my opinion and your mileage could vary.

What kind of tires are on the 18's?
I have not seen the 18"s so I'm not sure on the tires. The 17"s are Goodyear Eagles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts