Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello all. I'm a car enthusiast, but new to the Porsche brand. I just bought a 2006 Cayman S with a few modifications already done to it. The car I got has the sport/chrono and PASM equipped and I wanted to check if there were any negative effects of the parts on these. I've been doing some research by reading some of the threads on here, but I wanted to go ahead and check with you guys.

From what I understand from reading on here the sport button doesn't change the A/F ratio or timing, but just allows a quicker throttle response. So I don't think that the exhaust should affect it, but just wanted to check. The brand is B&B. While I'm here, is that a high quality exhaust for the Caymans?

As for the PASM, I read that some of the aftermarket lowering springs could be damaging to the system if they weren't designed to work with it. Is there a list of brands that are made to be used on PASM cars?

Thanks for the help and looking forward to being a fellow Porsche owner. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
There's no problem with the aftermarket exhaust and the Sport Chrono. Based on price, I would say that B&B is a mid-quality exhaust for the Cayman. I'm not aware of any major issues with it, and if you are happy with the sound, that's probably what matters most.

I'll defer to someone else on the question of lowering springs and PASM . . .

·
Registered
502 Posts
There's no problem with the aftermarket exhaust and the Sport Chrono. Based on price, I would say that B&B is a mid-quality exhaust for the Cayman. I'm not aware of any major issues with it, and if you are happy with the sound, that's probably what matters most.

I'll defer to someone else on the question of lowering springs and PASM . . .
You can get a set of Bilstein coilovers that are compatible with the PASM system:

Bilstein PSS Coilover System for PASM Porsche Cayman incl S 06+

·
Registered
502 Posts
Regarding the exhaust....

B&B is pretty well known but i have never heard it in person. Why did you decide to go with that exhaust? Try to hear whatever exhaust you go with in person first. Most aftermarket exhaust will have more noise and more vibration. It bothers some people, other don't really notice. If you are referring to a catback exhaust you should not have any issues. If you are referring to a complete exhaust (headers and catback), you may have an issue with the check engine light coming on. This can be resolved with a software/ECU flash. I would just go with a catback unless you are really wanting to squeeze every ounce of power out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B&B is pretty well known but i have never heard it in person. Why did you decide to go with that exhaust? Try to hear whatever exhaust you go with in person first. Most aftermarket exhaust will have more noise and more vibration. It bothers some people, other don't really notice. If you are referring to a catback exhaust you should not have any issues. If you are referring to a complete exhaust (headers and catback), you may have an issue with the check engine light coming on. This can be resolved with a software/ECU flash. I would just go with a catback unless you are really wanting to squeeze every ounce of power out of it.
It is catback only. The exhaust was already installed when I bought the car. I have the OEM also if it becomes to loud for my liking.

Thanks for the responses so far. More info on the springs would be great though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has the lowering springs already installed also. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the original post. I'm not picking it up until this weekend and I haven't had the chance to get the brand off of the ones installed yet.

·
Registered
621 Posts
IMHO, there is some mis-information regarding use of aftermarket springs on PASM-equipped cars. PASM dampers have electrically adjustable damping rates (soft-to-stiff). The OEM springs that come on PASM dampers are 10mm shorter at static-ride-height. That's it. A spring is just a piece of steel - nothing majic about it. Most aftermarket springs for these cars are roughly 30mm shorter than stock, or roughly 20 mm shorter than OEM PASM springs. As long as the springs on your car are a quality brand (Eibach, H&R, Techart, Champion, RUF, etc.), AND you can live with the lowered ride height and somewhat stiffer ride - then you should be fine. The Bilstein PASM system is great I'm sure - but expensive overkill for a street car IMHO. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO, there is some mis-information regarding use of aftermarket springs on PASM-equipped cars. PASM dampers have electrically adjustable damping rates (soft-to-stiff). The OEM springs that come on PASM dampers are 10mm shorter at static-ride-height. That's it. A spring is just a piece of steel - nothing majic about it. Most aftermarket springs for these cars are roughly 30mm shorter than stock, or roughly 20 mm shorter than OEM PASM springs. As long as the springs on your car are a quality brand (Eibach, H&R, Techart, Champion, RUF, etc.), AND you can live with the lowered ride height and somewhat stiffer ride - then you should be fine. The Bilstein PASM system is great I'm sure - but expensive overkill for a street car IMHO. Good Luck.
The concern I had would be that the stock springs might have a linear compression and the aftermarket ones have a nonlinear one. Also the fact that, like you said, your static ride height would be 20mm lower and thus the dampers would be compressed 20mm more than they normally would. This would be the case for all lowering springs, but I'm just not educated on the PASM system. I didn't know if this would effect its ability to change the ride stiffness or lead to premature wear on the system. Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.