Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I've heard and heeded the conventional wisdom of getting your car aligned shortly after buying (when new). Most will say that factory alignments are **** and that getting a car done right really makes a difference. Of the cars I've taken in to get done, all were off a little, but not that much. When I took my '09 CS in yesterday, 3 of the wheels were off a little, but the kicker: RF wheel: +.5 camber! Sad part is in the 2k miles I've driven, I did not notice it. I guess I'll chalk that up to getting to know the car.

Cliff Notes: check your alignments if you want the most out of your car.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Where did you get your alignment done?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure I buy into that. Having done a number of alignments myself, all higher end vehicles are very sensitive to the equipment used and how they are weighted on the stand, and load in the car, etc. You can bet the alignment is properly set at the factory and unless there is something encountered during transit to wreck the alignment such a curb strike, etc, then there is no reason to suspect its out upon delivery.

You can take a car like a Porsche to any shop and have it aligned on a high- tech machine, roll it off and drive it down the street to another shop with a high-tech machine and check the values to find it will probably be off from the first shop.

+.5 is not drastic. + 2.0 is a concern.

I almost never get my cars aligned unless I notice uneven tire wear OR I'm installing new suspension or steering control components.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. Collie, I would respectfully disagree. The alignment was performed by a very well respected local Porsche race shop: NARW here in Socal. As far as trusting stock alignments, well, that's your right. Given my first hand experience I will not. YMMV

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I checked my factory alignment and was pretty good. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I remember side to side was very close on camber and the toe was at about where I left it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
+.5 is not drastic. + 2.0 is a concern.
No, it's not drastic but you really don't want positive camber on a sportscar. Half a degree is enough to be visible and prematurely wear the outside shoulder of that tire pretty quickly, with any aggressive driving.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I waited until 20K miles for a dealer alignment & balance on all 4 wheels of my 07 CS. Had new PS2's put on the the rear but the wear on the fronts was even. Previously had one front tire & wheel replaced at a distant dealer due to road trip damage. The tech at my local dealer said that this wheel had non-OEM weights & was out of balance. Also said that the aligment was only slightly out. The bottom line is...the car now drives better than new,so I would have it done ASAP on a new car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another data point.

I had my car aligned (at TPC actually) and while the original alignment was within specs IIRC, it certainly wasn't at the performance end of the scale. In fact, they were as far unperformance as you could get in terms of camber.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I believe cars are delivered with a 'conservative' alignment - meaning biased toward understeer. If you are going to drive a Cayman in performance situations, it's worth such an alignment - negative camber. That being said, you can still only go so far without aftermarket parts.

As an aside, ChrisF, when were you at Fontana?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last Friday with Speedventures. Great day but with a few tweaks, I think I will be able to go MUCH faster and get closer to the performance I'm used to :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts