Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank the guys at Euro Motorspeed for the bezel, wiring kit, and for their support- I replaced my CDR-24 with the new Pioneer AVIC X920BT. The directions for the D3 found on this site are fantastic- there are a couple of things to look out for, however. Once you remove the negative battery terminal and pop the 46 pin ABS plug to install the vehicle speed sensor wire, you will get a warning on your computer- "PSM Failure"... I spent a lot of time checking wires and re-inserting the 46 pin connector because I thought I had a bad connection. Turns out this warning goes away by itself after you drive the car for a bit. It won't go out if you simply run the engine.

The other thing to keep in mind with this new unit is the hardwire bypass for the parking brake is different from that mentioned in the D3 manual. I found the proper info on Youtube, but discovered I could remove the pin without damaging the connector by inserting a staple in the tiny hole above the yellow wire jack hole.

The new 920BT is great! I'm still awaiting software that will allow direct control of Pandora off my iPhone (Pandora is AMAZING- check it out!), and the software for Pioneer's Music Sphere iPod control software, but this should come out in a few weeks. I find the speech recognition is lousy, but will play with mic position to see if it helps. The iPod integration is extensive and intuitive, even without MusicSphere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently using the amp in the head unit- it is about the same sonically as the CDR24, since I don't have the Bose system in my car. As the install went pretty smoothly, I might add an amp and some upgraded speakers too. Anyone in the Annapolis, MD area- if you want to try putting in an AVIC unit, let me know.

By the way- Pandora is working in my car now, but I have to start/control it on my iPhone. The handshaking app is supposed to be ready in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
danharr,

Contact Chris Torney at Designo Motoring in Sterling Virginia. He did a custom install on my lexus and is going to do one on my Cayman when it arrives off the boat from Germany. Chis does top notch work and treats every customers cars as if they are his own and it shows in his work. I do not work for Chris or have any affiliation with him I just like to give people who do great work business. PM me if you want his phone number.

dave-t

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know- I did it myself because I couldn't find anyone good near me. It turned out to be pretty easy, but time-consuming. And Euro Motorspeed really helped if I had questions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
looks like a great unit but how lousy is the voice recognition?...my choice is to upgrade my old D3 to either the 920 or the 710 (which has a matte finish btw)....the 920's biggest draw for me is entering navigation commands/destinations verbally, but if its awful i won't bother and may go with the 710...whats the skinny?!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Danharr...thanks for the images and suggestions. The unit really looks great in the dash. Did you also consider the Alpine INA W-900? Was there something that swayed you to the Pioneer? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE Voice recognition-
I think it is better than I first thought- but still not great. If you say "forty-six" for an address, it will generally give you three options- "46", "460" and perhaps "486"... You have to listen to all three before you can tell it the correct one. I don't want to blame it yet because I want to try the mic in some different positions. It is currently on the steering column. Want to try up higher.

I picked the Pioneer unit because I have professional ties with Pioneer- so I really didn't look around much, just got a good deal on the new unit when it came out. I actually ordered and received the 910 but heard about Pandora and better OS on the 920 and returned the 910 before I opened it for the new model.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed the pioneer 920bt to my stock boss system last weekend. The voice command suck like hell lol. but the bluetooth, nav, iphone link is just wonderful. I also installed an amp. Just a quick question, anyone know if there is a way for me to lower the brightness? The nav is too bright sometimes when i am driving at night.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I installed the pioneer 920bt to my stock boss system last weekend. The voice command suck like hell lol. but the bluetooth, nav, iphone link is just wonderful. I also installed an amp. Just a quick question, anyone know if there is a way for me to lower the brightness? The nav is too bright sometimes when i am driving at night.
Did you connect the ILL (illumination) wire? If you turn ON your headlights, does the display slowly dim? And when you switch off the headlights, the HU should slowly brighten. If you don't get this behaviour, you don't have the ILL wire connected correctly.

My Z110-BT is perfect brightness - the bright setting is good for daytime and the dim is perfect for night...as long as my lights are in the appropriate position.

BTW, you will get more expert help if you post on AVIC411.

As far as Voice Recognition, I'm still looking for the perfect place for the mic. On the steering column isn't it. Maybe the top of the A-pillar is closer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
let me check and i will let you know. My mic is beside my rear view mirror when i make phone call it is super clear my friend all tell me that it is clear but when i talk to the nav they just dunno what i am saying lol!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
let me check and i will let you know. My mic is beside my rear view mirror when i make phone call it is super clear my friend all tell me that it is clear but when i talk to the nav they just dunno what i am saying lol!
Ya, I know the feeling!!!! I got so frustrated arguing with her (the NAV unit voice), that I asked to speak to her supervisor, lol.

What is your mic attached to, the mirror, the window glass or the headliner? I'm not visualizing it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Quick update...
I just moved my mic to the pillar by the drivers' side window, right next to the visor. It is working better now- I find it does pretty well playing itunes off the iPhone. I can request "play artist" etc, and it works. Doesn't work to call anyone, but maybe it isn't supposed to. Haven't tried the Nav yet. I put my iPhone in my center console under the armrest, and (as I've mentioned elsewhere) I get 100% alarm going off if I lock the car with the phone in there. It never goes off if I don't. So I really do have a "forgotten iPhone" alarm which came along for free (whether I want it or not)...

I just finished wiring for an Alpine PDX-5 to replace the ASK amp unit, and wired for an 8' custom sub in the back. Alpine shows up on Tuesday, can't wait...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-and geez, when is the Pandora helper app coming out? and the Music Sphere too. And has anyone had luck transferring their favorite contacts to the AVIC? And has anyone tried AVIC FEEDS?

·
Registered
24 Posts
First i got itunes to integrate with 920bt, it work perfectly fine. My music sphere is working, pandora is working. When i enter the car, the iphone in my pocket will automatically sync contacts within 1 min and i will be able to make call and receive call via 920bt itself. All contacts are store in the unit via bluetooth. Dvd was working perfectly and i am able to watch any dvd i wan. I did many phone calls and I asked my friend if i speak clearly, they told me it was super clear, can even hear my engine sound. I can hear them perfectly too from all the speaker in the car. I left my iphone plug into my cable and left the car, the alarm didnt sound off. There was also auto dim on my unit. but still too bright for me >.< . The worst thing is still the voice command. I had a fight with her and i told her to go away lol! every other thing is working perfectly. below is my attach of my pic. I got the unit last friday and installed it the same day. Took about 2 hours to do it. I bought the din 2 kit from ebay which integrate with the bose system. If you do not buy the kit which integrate with the bose system then you would need to hardwire it which take a lot more time than 2 hours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2 more thing to take note. If you install this unit, you would need to buy an amp to make your sub woofer work, without the amp, the sub woofer do not work at all. My nav is up and working, eco, 2d, 3d all working fine :) the nav is super good, the voice turn by turn is awesome! when you hit an intersection with like 5 lanes, the gps will zoom in and show you all 5 lanes and highlight which lane you should take, what is better is that if you just exit a 5 lane split, and going into another 3 lane split, during the 5 lane split there will be a mini screen on top telling you about the 3 lane split and also highlighting that lane for you. I never miss an exit no matter how complicated the road is :) Searching for road is even better, i find that there is almost zero lag in searching for an address. Every time i search for address it pops up instantly it is that fast :) i highly recommend this unit to everyone who does not have a nav, aux, blue tooth system. I just bought the rear cam and i would be installing it once i get it. After that i am going to make a video of the whole system and post it on you tube :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
according to the AVIC411 site (and my own google searches) there is no music sphere or Pandora yet available. You can play Pandora but can't control it on the touch panel. PLEASE let me know if you found the applications for these- I'd love to download them!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my recent project. I recently got a Sony XAV-60 installed and was told about the parking brake bypass ability. Unfortunately the person doing the install wasn't able to tell me where to ground it on my car or where I could purchase the wire I would need. If it is not completely noticeable yet, I really don't know much about car stereo's. Does anyone know where someone would ground the parking brake wire and where I could purchase the grounding wire to do so. I've read some posts by people at other sites saying that they needed a switch/ground wire and was wondering if they knew how someone would know whether they needed that or if it was product specific. Is there a list somewhere online where I could look up this info? I have the non-bose option on a 2007 cayman that now has a Sony XAV-60 dvd unit. Thank you guys for any help or tips. I have used the search option on here and even pm'ed a couple members as well, if you feel more comfortable sending me a pm, that would be great as well. Thank you guys again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey DANHARR,

Set up looks good and is basically identical to what I put in my CS. I bypassed the bose as weel and went through a PDX 5. After it was installed, I had aterrible whine. I went through and redid grounds, etc. Finally took it to shop #2 for a complete reinstall. HE got rid of most of it, but primarily by lowering my gains way down. Do you have any whine? I just had some Hertz 3-way components placed, and will add a custom 8" sub in the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts