Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 came with the basic 4-speaker factory stereo with no amp and no rear speakers. I have been hanging around here for months, looking for a cheap solution, and there really is none. I just installed the AVIC Z110BT and added new Boston Acoustics 4" speakers in the rear. Expensive, yes, but the cost wasn't nearly as much as I expected. It just takes some careful shopping and a good installer who is not totally greedy.

Another installer had told me that adding rear speakers was a big problem, that the wiring would be difficult and that they had to create a new frame to hold the speakers, etc. (wanted to charge 10 hours' labor). He was estimating $2300 and still reusing the CDR-24, and didn't act very interested in my job, either. He was highly recommended by other Porsche owners, but I think his main qualification was high cost.

The installer I went with only needed 6 or 7 hours to install the Z110BT and also the rear speakers, and to prewire for an amp and subwoofer. Even though he didn't have Porsche experience, he had a lot of other experience and also was enthusiastic about doing the job. His work was excellent -- no damage to the car at all (the other idiot damaged the car when doing his estimate!). This guy charged me $600 including the labor, Boston speakers, wiring, materials, and taxes. Since I got the Z110BT for $1200 at Nebraska Furniture Mart on a price-match, minus the $200 rebate, and the Euro Motorspeed bezel cost $250, my grand total was $1850 after rebate.

Sound quality overall is at least 200% better than stock, i.e., the difference is night and day over the stock system. I love having the rear speakers, you cannot imagine the difference -- if you don't have them, you don't know what you are missing. I am running a lot of the sound through the rear speakers so it overcomes the engine noise at speed, and the various adjustments on the Z110BT are also very helpful. Since I'm already prewired, I'm looking for a subwoofer enclosure to fit into the back and an amp to fit in the frunk compartment. JL Audio has an XD400/4 amp that is very small and appears to fit, but I'll wait to accumulate some more $$$ before upgrading further.

I haven't posted pictures of my setup because the rear speakers are hidden and the unit itself looks absolutely identical to RSchwerer's, posted elsewhere (same color, same bezel, same color interior). The Euro-Motorspeed bezel is a perfect match and the installer had no trouble with the kit at all. You'd have to look VERY closely at the car before you could even tell this isn't a factory unit. The lack of knobs or buttons on the Z110BT contribute greatly to this kind of appearance.

As for the Z110BT itself, I'm very happy with the sound quality and it's nice to have the navigation, but the navigation has produced some pretty squirrelly results and the voice recognition is more trouble than it's worth. Also, the Bluetooth works good in the garage and around town, but seems to not pick up my voice at all when at highway speeds. Maybe the car is just too noisy? The mike location is in the steering column in the same location where the factory mike would be. Anyone know of a more sensitive mike?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Sounds great John. What size speakers did you use in the rear? I really want to add some "fill" to the sound. I didn't want to tear into the housing until I'm ready. It would be nice to know 1st. Did you pick up any tips from the installer on how to mount?

I don't think it would be hard to run the wiring, so this is definitely on my list.

Did you use the Pioneer mic? I'm not crazy about the VR either. I put the Pioneer mic on the steering column between the 2 factory enclosures. BTW, I blame my phone for the poor quality I get while driving. Even with a BT headset, I get complaints. Same thing in other cars.

Yes, this is a great way to add BT, Ipod and a much better stereo. The NAV is just a bonus. No complaints about it. Works as good as several others I've used, and it doesn't nag at all if I go off route, just figures it out and deals with it.

Enjoy your toy & the sound --- I do.
R Schwerer

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By all means, put in the rear speakers!!! They make all the difference in the world. Now, there are audiophiles in this group who would scoff, but to me this system sounds really pretty darned good now. I am running them with a bias of 6 toward the rear. That sounds like a lot, but to my ears it balances out nicely overall and overcomes the engine noise.

The speakers are 4" Boston Acoustics S45, according to my invoice. The mounting itself wasn't difficult, they just screw to the premolded pegs (they have screw holes molded into them) that are on the underneath of the grills (you can feel the pegs if you take off the carpeted engine cover). Getting to them apparently was the trick. The installer said that the panels **above** the grills had to come off. He joked that I didn't want to see the car while he was working on it. However, he did a primo job, as there was no damage at all and it didn't really take him that long.

My installer was Al Stone of National Sound & Security in Independence, MO. If your installer would like to contact him for advice, his number is 816-356-8700.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the z110! I'm wait for mine to get installed. My cs has the Bose system so had to spend money on the mosthur from nav-tv. My installer got the wrong mosthr last week and I'm still waiting for the replacement. Can't wait to have it installed! My installer was going to put the mic by the rear view mirror. Maybe it will work better there.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
John,
Thanks for the info on the speakers. I wasn't sure if there was mounting posts under the covers. Sounds like it is already set-up for standard 4" speakers. I'll be doing my own install. I already did the Z110 and sub. I installed an 8" powered sub (BOSS600) under/behind the passenger seat. The wife loves the back massage she gets :)

I think there are instructions on removing the panels/trim in the rear trunk somewhere on this site. So I can figure it out. While the panells are off, I think I may stuff some insulation in there - over and around the wheel wells to reduce the tire and road noise. Way to much noise for an expensive car. It distracts from the beautiful sound of the engine !!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,
Thanks for the info on the speakers. I wasn't sure if there was mounting posts under the covers. Sounds like it is already set-up for standard 4" speakers. I'll be doing my own install. I already did the Z110 and sub. I installed an 8" powered sub (BOSS600) under/behind the passenger seat. The wife loves the back massage she gets :)

I think there are instructions on removing the panels/trim in the rear trunk somewhere on this site. So I can figure it out. While the panells are off, I think I may stuff some insulation in there - over and around the wheel wells to reduce the tire and road noise. Way to much noise for an expensive car. It distracts from the beautiful sound of the engine !!!
Gee, dunno 'bout that . . . good luck I guess. No way would I try to remove those panels myself. You'll need a set of plastic pry tools, I know that much. And, you'd spend hours on it, trying to learn. And if you do damage the panels, it's an expensive problem to fix, and all your own expense. Using a **good** pro addresses those issues at not much cost. Of course it would help even more if you could provide the removal instructions to the pro. I provided all kinds of documentation to my installer and he read it all and found it really useful.

Also, good luck on adding sound insulation. I don't see much room for improvement there. It seems really tight under the carpeted engine cover. Maybe you could put one layer of Dynamat under it, but maybe not . . . it might not let the engine cover go back on.

Interesting about your sub. I actually bought the Blaupunkt powered sub because someone here said it would fit under the seat. It did, but just barely and then only if I raised the seat a lot. I didn't want to be telling my passenger, "No, you can't adjust the seat" and it also looked funny with the passenger seat at the top and mine at the very bottom (I'm 6'-4"). So then I tried putting it vertical behind the seat, but that cost legroom and also (because of the shapes back there) I thought it looked kinda ugly. So, I gave up and returned it. There is also a used Bose sub enclosure on eBay right now. I'd buy that if I could be sure it would fit, but I can't be sure, and it would be an expensive mistake if it didn't. It's an expensive car, and if I want a sub, I guess I'm just going to have to pay an expensive price to get a custom fiberglass rear sub enclosure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm late to this party but maybe i can revive this thread, i too am adding a full system to my porsche Cayman.

Buying the bezel from the UK for about $100 bucks
Avic-z110BT $450 its a friends or if i can get a Kenwood DNX for the same price.

I got semisponsored by CDT Audio $375 for equipmment worth ofver $1600 in components
CDT Audio Eurposrt ES07 competition 7" Midbass on the doors
CDT audio Eurposrt ES03 competition 3" midrange on the doors
CDT Audio Eurposrt DRT26 tweeters stock location

Windshield Tweeters W100i with potentiometer to bring the soundstage up.

All in a passive network. Will utilize the tuning capabilities of the HU to time align.

All running of a CDT SQ115 x4 channel amp brdiged so im getting 200watts RMS per channel ($175 sponsor pricing)

10" custom Image Dynamics subwoofer enclosure in the trunk running about 300 WRMS
$75 used on Ebay.

Image Dynamics Q600.1 mono amp for the sub. $150 used off Craiglist

Equipment = $1325
Install including Fiberglass custom subwoofer installation = $800

Total= $2125 this is a small 4500- 5000k system

the sound should be incredible.

Any advise i should know about to people who have installed a system in our cars?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.