Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Porsche - a 2011 Boxster, dark blue with tan interior, 6 speed manual. I know virtually nothing about these cars other than it is beautiful and fun to drive. Just got it inspected and it will sit in the garage until the weather breaks. Far to cold to wash and way too much salt out there. No temperatures above freezing for the next week, at least. Dangit! That's what happens when you buy a convertible in the dead of winter.

This is also my first sports car. I've always owned economy, or 4dr family sedans, or trucks or SUVs. We still have the last three and just added the Boxster as a sunny day toy.

I plan to do most of the routine maintenance myself. So, I'm hoping I've found the right forum to help with that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! Even though I've had my Boxster for almost three years, every time I turn the key - wow! As for routine maintenance, there's a wealth of information on this site and if you have specific questions, you'll get quick answers. Have fun!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well done.. You are going to love it. These cars are really solid and well built. Maintenance is totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. Like abuelo said these guys and gals know what the hell they are doing. Just try and search first. Basically every question has been asked and answered someplace. Also look in the articles area. They have all the how-to's. Finally you better post some pictures quick. Its a rule here. You will get flamed!

One small item they do have issue with is the clutch safety switch. You may push the clutch in and it not allow the car to start. You have to kind of find the sweet spot and it will go. If it starts happening get a new switch. I think they are on the 3rd generation. I keep a jumper wire in my glove box just in case. Its just under the dash and takes a few minutes to change. No big deal just dont panic if it happens like I did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats! Let the mod shopping begin...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. A couple of photos from the advertisement. I haven't taken any myself yet. Too cold to clean it up right now. Will post again once I can detail it and give it a good wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

If you care about not scratching up the bottom of the front bumper be exceedingly careful in approaching inclines like short aprons between road and driveway. It's very hard to not scratch up. (Best bet is going slowly at very oblique angles.) Otherwise you'll love it! AND, when you hear about balance shaft problems (IMS"), your Boxster is too new to have the problem so ignore the talk, as it fortunately does not pertain to your car. (Great color combination!) If you haven't already, consider going to Consumer Reports or truedelta.com. You'll be delighted to see how relatively bullet-proof these cars have been reported to be.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Congratulations! You will not be disappointed. :cheers:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats!!! You will definitely enjoy this car :) I have a 2010 Boxster S and do all the maint on mine, too. Saves a ton of money doing the 20k service changes yourself. It's really insane what dealers charge people for even really easy stuff like oil changes and brake flushes.

So, tips for the new owner:
1) Do not flog it cold! Keep RPM below 4000 or so until the engine is up to temperature (175). Tolerances are designed to be tight when hot, and you'll accelerate wear if the engine is cold. Fortunately, even half throttle is a lot on these cars.
2) Don't let the battery die- the only way to get to it... is via electric release. There's a pull-out terminal in the fuse box by the driver if you need to jump-start the electrics to open the hood. There's a lot of parasitic electronics, so if you plan to let it sit, use a battery tender or drive it once every week or two to keep the battery charged.
3) HAVE FUN! That's why you bought this car, right??? Just be mindful of speed, as it's really easy to find yourself at go-to-jail speeds.
4) Seek out your local autocross clubs, and do a couple DEs. Learn to drive it right.
5) This car does not have a dipstick, and the e-dipstick only works with the car level and idling at temperature. Carefully measure what you drain during oil changes to make sure you don't dangerously over/underfill it.

It's alright to drive it when it's cold, you know. It may be a really nice car, but it's still "just a car." Germans drive theirs all winter, too. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Congrats on the new car and welcome!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. It's 4 degrees F here this morning. I think I'll go plug in that battery tender that I just sitting there in front of the boxster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats!!! You will definitely enjoy this car :) I have a 2010 Boxster S and do all the maint on mine, too. Saves a ton of money doing the 20k service changes yourself. It's really insane what dealers charge people for even really easy stuff like oil changes and brake flushes.

So, tips for the new owner:
1) Do not flog it cold! Keep RPM below 4000 or so until the engine is up to temperature (175). Tolerances are designed to be tight when hot, and you'll accelerate wear if the engine is cold. Fortunately, even half throttle is a lot on these cars.
2) Don't let the battery die- the only way to get to it... is via electric release. There's a pull-out terminal in the fuse box by the driver if you need to jump-start the electrics to open the hood. There's a lot of parasitic electronics, so if you plan to let it sit, use a battery tender or drive it once every week or two to keep the battery charged.
3) HAVE FUN! That's why you bought this car, right??? Just be mindful of speed, as it's really easy to find yourself at go-to-jail speeds.
4) Seek out your local autocross clubs, and do a couple DEs. Learn to drive it right.
5) This car does not have a dipstick, and the e-dipstick only works with the car level and idling at temperature. Carefully measure what you drain during oil changes to make sure you don't dangerously over/underfill it.

It's alright to drive it when it's cold, you know. It may be a really nice car, but it's still "just a car." Germans drive theirs all winter, too. :)
Welcome and Congratulations!

The above is all great advice, especially #3 & #4.

Drive it in good health and keep the shiny side up :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on your first sports car and first Porsche! I've owned mine for over three years now and still love it!
I've done my brake pads/rotors with a lot of help from the community here, so you've come to the right place. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts