Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

After lurking in the forums for about 2 months, I'm getting ready to place an order and would love some feedback. So welcome to my first post and thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

But first - I want to say how much I appreciate this forum and its members. This site has provided hours of research and combined with visits to my 2 local dealers, I've been able to narrow down what I want. I've been very impressed with the level of knowledge and the willingness to share among the many, many posts I've read. This seems like a great community.

Here is is - with commentary interspersed regarding each option:

Porsche Cayman GTS - I originally started with the S but quickly realized (through this site and driving cars) that the options I wanted (SC, PASM or X73, PSE) come standard with the GTS. Additionally, I couldn't find a CS or CGTS with my desired spec (or even close to it) available either new or CPO anywhere in the U.S. so I guess I'm going to order one.

Manual Transmission - I've driven the PDK in the S and GTS and it is truly an amazing transmission. But I like a third pedal and being involved with the operation of the machine. Its part of how I have fun with the car.

Agate Grey Metallic - not a fan of black (I live in Atlanta where it is hot), white, red or yellow. I like the Sapphire, but think the Grey looks better. I've read multiple posts that sports cars should be painted an appropriate sports car color - but I'm just not a yellow or red kind of guy.

20" SportTechno Wheels painted Black - I've always been a fan of the 5 spoke design even though I really like the Carrera Classic wheels, but what swayed me on this was how easy it is to see the mechanical bits (brakes, suspension) behind the wheel and that the wheel must be really easy to clean. I hadn't considered painting them until I saw them in a showroom and really liked the way they look with almost any color car.

Leather Interior in Black/Luxor Beige - Lots of reading and looking at cars regarding the interior. I've felt the black interior is too dark and feels smaller than it is. The Beige really opens up the interior. To avoid the monochromatic look and the reports of windshield glare I've read about, I am going with the 2 tone. I like the dash stitching and I can ventilate the seats (a plus in the South). Further, after looking at the Alcantera and reading multiple threads, I decided to go with the leather for looks, feel, function, and ease of maintenance. I have a 2008 Subaru Outback XT right now with a black plastic dash and door trim with a tan interior. The look is very similar to the Black/LB interior. It a nice look and the leather has been relatively easy to maintain.

Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Manual
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber
- Not a cheap cosmetic upgrade, but I like the look. About the only thing I've selected that has no true function.

PDLS - This just seems like a great feature and for $520, it isn't breaking the bank.

SportDesign Steering Wheel in Leather - just looks so much better IMHO.

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package - the only other option on the GTS configurator is the 2 way sport seat. This seems like an expensive option considering I'm divorced and I'm not letting my 18 year old son drive the car so I'm not certain of the value with the multiple motorized adjustments and the memory settings.. This is one the dealer has convinced me has resale value. I'm 5'10" and weigh 165lbs, so I'm certain I can find a comfortable position in the 2 way.

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way) - Yes, I could probably opt for the Convenience package to get the 2 zone HVAC and heated seats, the dimming mirrors and save some money (not much by the looks of it). But I think the interior light design package has value and is only available in another package. The Porsche Entry and Drive also seems like a nice to have feature. Certainly not a necessity.

Seat Ventilation (Front) - I mentioned I live in the South. Also read multiple posts on this site about blue jean stains on the LB leather. Hope this helps with comfort and maintaining the nice color of the seats.

Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System - a pricey option but I've been driving a 5MT using my iPhone as a GPS for years and it is really not the best option. Got pulled over last year because I was driving erratically (looking at phone) while going somewhere and the cop was nice enough to give me a warning. I also currently have XM and enjoy it. Hopefully, the system sounds like a what a $4K stereo should sound like. I honestly haven't tested the stereo on any of my drives. PSE sounds nice to me....

Smoking Package - I like the clean look of the cover and having an additional outlet to power something if needed.

PTV - I've never put a car of any kind on a race track. I expect I will go visit a Porsche driving school to truly learn how to drive it. But the GTS will split daily duty with the Subaru depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Unless I get the bug, it won't see much track time (and I read in another thread that I have to swap the 18 way seat for a bucket to do so?). We rarely get snow/ice here (and that's when the Subaru is really fun to drive) so except for getting caught in the occasional downpour, the added value of the LSD is minor, IMO. Open to other opinions.

Suspension - I've saved this for last because hours of reading has convinced me there are as many opinions on this as there are people on the forum. I had the opportunity to drive a PDK GTS with X73 and then immediately get into a CS with PASM and drive them on highway, through 50-70mph S curves and then down a 35mph pocked back road including a railroad track crossing. The circuit was about 10 minutes long. I'm sure there are nuances between the two that I missed. I agree with many posters who said that the SS is firm but not harsh. I also felt the PASM in its firmest setting was comparable in feel. I did not notice any difference in the steering feel that some posters have written about. And unless both cars are sitting next to one another, it is hard to discern the 10mm ride height difference. At the end of the day, I've convinced myself to go with the PASM for its flexibility. One thing I truly like about the Cayman is that it is easy to drive it like a normal considerate human being. And when you want to act like a hooligan, you just push a button or two.

Looking forward to any feedback you all have. Where am I off the mark? What did I select that you have on your car but wish you didn't have? What do I need that I left off the build?

I have to tell you this process has been so much fun and I'm really excited. I've always aspired to own a Porsche and have never owned a car anywhere near this price point or a true sports car (my OBXT is as close as it comes and I drive the snot out of it). Sales guy says that there shouldn't be a problem to get a GTS allocation as I'll be very early in the 2016 cycle. So, I'm looking late summer for delivery. Unless I go to Germany for delivery - another thought if I can work out the timing....

If all goes to plan, I'll be in the dealer putting a deposit down the first week of May. Then the wait begins....

Thanks!

Jeff

Reactions: Mike R. and Jeff78

·
Registered
540 Posts
Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System - a pricey option but I've been driving a 5MT using my iPhone as a GPS for years and it is really not the best option. Got pulled over last year because I was driving erratically (looking at phone) while going somewhere and the cop was nice enough to give me a warning. I also currently have XM and enjoy it. Hopefully, the system sounds like a what a $4K stereo should sound like. I honestly haven't tested the stereo on any of my drives.
I have this package and find the sound quality to be superb. I never use the navigation....but it seems nice.

I got x73 and would not want it any other way. Everyone has a different interpretation of firm, harsh and stiff.....How are the roads in GA ? Pretty smooth?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well much of you chose is merely stylistic preference, so that is completely up to you. Performance wise, I think it's a good move getting the 6MT, PTV and the X73 suspension.

Much like you, being of average size and weight (I'm 5'8", 178lbs), the two way seats were a perfect fit for me and I had no desire to spend thousands of dollars adjusting something that didn't need adjusting. I was happy to put the money on something besides adjustable seats.

The wheels... well I don't like black wheels period (on any car) and the Sport Techno wheels are heavier than the 20" Carrera S wheels, so I didn't see much of a point in "upgrading" to these. Again, most of this is stylistic preference, so YMMV.

Aside from those nit picks, I don't see anything major that you missed. The GTS bundles a LOT of the options I would have added to a base "S", so that cuts down on the number of options to add

·
Registered
475 Posts
What dealer? I ordered mine recently from Henessey. 2016 GTS, Ordered late March - build in June - delivery in late August.
Looks like a solid build.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Pretty loaded config so I guess the question is what not to get?

I'd drop the techno wheels. They are the heaviest and by default you get nice light 20 wheels already.

I see no speaker/audio option. Keep in mind that base sound is pretty bad. Perhaps you think that doesn't matter because you're not going to ever listen to anything, but probably not realistic assumption. Add in Bose/CDR+ minimum.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go with the 2 way seats, they don't hurt resale as much as they make it seem. The reason is the back is still powered, only the seat sliding forward back and up and down is manual which is easy anyways.

The X73 suspension is great, I wouldn't have it any other way. Its not super hard but you do get to feel the car, especially going around corners. Great choice with the PTV!

Agate Grey is a great colour and so it the Sapphire Blue - pick whichever you like. Agate grey if you want to be more suddle, blue if you want a slight modest sporty look (not saying grey isn't sporty - I guess word is stand out a little more)

Smoking package - there is already 3 cig outlets without this package, one in glove box, one in passenger footwell and one in the centre console arm rest. The cubby I find is great because you can store small things.

If you have any iPhone I recommend getting the Kenu air mount to hold your phone, while still being able to see what notifications are coming.

Also get the windows tinted!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

I got x73 and would not want it any other way. Everyone has a different interpretation of firm, harsh and stiff.....How are the roads in GA ? Pretty smooth?
Roads in the metro Atlanta area are fine. The back roads in the North GA, NC, TN mountains are mostly pretty smooth. Do you have a female that frequents the right seat? How does she like the X73?

Well much of you chose is merely stylistic preference, so that is completely up to you. Performance wise, I think it's a good move getting the 6MT, PTV and the X73 suspension.

Much like you, being of average size and weight (I'm 5'8", 178lbs), the two way seats were a perfect fit for me and I had no desire to spend thousands of dollars adjusting something that didn't need adjusting. I was happy to put the money on something besides adjustable seats.

The wheels... well I don't like black wheels period (on any car) and the Sport Techno wheels are heavier than the 20" Carrera S wheels, so I didn't see much of a point in "upgrading" to these. Again, most of this is stylistic preference, so YMMV.

Aside from those nit picks, I don't see anything major that you missed. The GTS bundles a LOT of the options I would have added to a base "S", so that cuts down on the number of options to add
OK - 2 comments about the wheels makes me reconsider. I hadn't even thought about weight. Googling tells me the ST wheels are 0.5" wider, but I cannot find confirmed weights. I do like the Carrera S wheel but I wouldn't paint that one. So, you've just saved me $2700. Cool beans!

What dealer? I ordered mine recently from Henessey. 2016 GTS, Ordered late March - build in June - delivery in late August.
Looks like a solid build.
I'm in Dunwoody so Jim Ellis is closer to me. But I've been to Hennessy several times as well and have a relationship with a sales guy there.

Tell me about the GTS exterior choice? I think it looks fabulous out of the showroom, but how is that glossy black front grill going to look after some miles? I'm also thinking of adding the Zunsport grill guards to protect the heat exchanges and to improve the look. Thoughts?

Go with the 2 way seats, they don't hurt resale as much as they make it seem. The reason is the back is still powered, only the seat sliding forward back and up and down is manual which is easy anyways.

The X73 suspension is great, I wouldn't have it any other way. Its not super hard but you do get to feel the car, especially going around corners. Great choice with the PTV!

Agate Grey is a great colour and so it the Sapphire Blue - pick whichever you like. Agate grey if you want to be more suddle, blue if you want a slight modest sporty look (not saying grey isn't sporty - I guess word is stand out a little more)

Smoking package - there is already 3 cig outlets without this package, one in glove box, one in passenger footwell and one in the centre console arm rest. The cubby I find is great because you can store small things.

If you have any iPhone I recommend getting the Kenu air mount to hold your phone, while still being able to see what notifications are coming.

Also get the windows tinted!!
OK - I'll review seat options and if I go with the 2 way, that saves me at least $3k. Wow. Does anyone know if the light design package is available in another package?
If I can drive 2 very similar cars that differ only between PASM and X73 again, I will. I'm just concerned about having that level of firmness all the time. Do you have a female that frequents the right seat? How does she like the X73?
Thanks for the info on the smoking package. Gone.
Yes - tinted windows.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
20" SportTechno Wheels painted Black - I've always been a fan of the 5 spoke design even though I really like the Carrera Classic wheels, but what swayed me on this was how easy it is to see the mechanical bits (brakes, suspension) behind the wheel and that the wheel must be really easy to clean. I hadn't considered painting them until I saw them in a showroom and really liked the way they look with almost any color car.
Welcome to the forum

Buy whatever makes you happy. They only one you have to please is yourself.

Despite what others say about wheel weights, unless you are racing and need every 10th of a second, its highly unlikely you will ever feel any difference in the unsprung weight in normal driving or they will make one bit of difference. I don't know the weights in the 981 line but in the 991 line the difference is about 3 lbs. Since the 981 cars have smaller wheels, the difference will be even less. OTH, Sport Technos are wider and are very easy to clean. You can get your hand inside them and wax the insides without taking the wheels off.

Buy whatever makes you happy:) Well except for the color thing. Proper sports cars ARE white, black, red, or yellow. But that is another thing. Too many sports cars today come in boring SUV colors but color is a personal thing.:(

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do you have a female that frequents the right seat? How does she like the X73?
Yes, aside from 14th st, between I85 and Howell Mill (which anything short of a tank is firm on), it's fine. She's fallen asleep in the right hand seat many times.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hey Jeff,

No right or wrong answers with Porsche options, if you get 'em, you generally love 'em. It is really a money issue.

So, my input from my personal point of view - not right or wrong, just how I feel about it.

First, you are loading up this car. You'll love it, only negative will be it will have the highest loss at resale. Its not the only consideration, but a consideration. Even Porsche throws out any valuation of higher priced options after you reach a threshold of $87K I believe in their residual calculations. The particular options that cause this car to sit on show rooms are the following options (not because they are not great, but because they dramatically add to the cost of the car): Infotainment / 18 way seats / (GTS interior pkg which you haven't chosen). The car is dramatically less expensive if you choose the alternative: Bose / 2 way / Leather (which you have chosen) - but with two-tone I don't think CF is needed as it looks great with the silver separating the two leathers colors (but that's' purely a personal choice).

A couple other observations:

*Colored gauges and seat belts help personalize the car without much expense - suggest you consider.
*20" SportTechno wheels look awesome, but if I would buy, I'd have to get the rest of the wheel painted black as the inside of the wheel is still grey which I don't like. They are worlds easier to keep clean than CS wheels.
* PASM is fine, but if I were going manual, I would only go X73 - sporty car needs hooligan sporty suspension.
* PTV is relatively cheap, you will not ever notice it until you need it - get it, you'll be glad you did one day.
* Black/Luxor is spectacular looking - super rich, love it.
* Be careful specify delete Alcantara headliner if you go with leather as it is a mismatch (not a big deal with black but noticeable).
* I think PDLS is standard, the up charge is for the "plus". Double check this.

I loved my GTS - the sound, the feel, the balance - it was truly the best car I've ever driven. Don't waist too much time debating these options because you can't choose wrong, you can only spend more or spend less.

Best regards, Matt

·
Registered
540 Posts
Roads in the metro Atlanta area are fine. The back roads in the North GA, NC, TN mountains are mostly pretty smooth. Do you have a female that frequents the right seat? How does she like the X73?
She has no problem with the ride quality its the G forces she hates. IMO...if you want to have more fun with your 981 get x73. Not to say PASM isn't fun but......IMO

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
+1 on the ZunSport Grill for the GTS.. both for the protection and the appearance (note that photos of the GT4 show that a "similar" grill, so you know its a good thing!).

D
IMG_9162 2.JPG

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum

Buy whatever makes you happy. They only one you have to please is yourself.

Buy whatever makes you happy:) Well except for the color thing. Proper sports cars ARE white, black, red, or yellow. But that is another thing. Too many sports cars today come in boring SUV colors but color is a personal thing.:(
So you're the guy I was referring to with the proper sports car colors! ;) I hear ya. It just isn't me. I like to fly below the radar. The car is beautiful in any color. I just don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention and yellow/red stand out.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jeff,

No right or wrong answers with Porsche options, if you get 'em, you generally love 'em. It is really a money issue.

So, my input from my personal point of view - not right or wrong, just how I feel about it.

First, you are loading up this car. You'll love it, only negative will be it will have the highest loss at resale. Its not the only consideration, but a consideration. Even Porsche throws out any valuation of higher priced options after you reach a threshold of $87K I believe in their residual calculations. The particular options that cause this car to sit on show rooms are the following options (not because they are not great, but because they dramatically add to the cost of the car): Infotainment / 18 way seats / (GTS interior pkg which you haven't chosen). The car is dramatically less expensive if you choose the alternative: Bose / 2 way / Leather (which you have chosen) - but with two-tone I don't think CF is needed as it looks great with the silver separating the two leathers colors (but that's' purely a personal choice).

A couple other observations:

*Colored gauges and seat belts help personalize the car without much expense - suggest you consider.
*20" SportTechno wheels look awesome, but if I would buy, I'd have to get the rest of the wheel painted black as the inside of the wheel is still grey which I don't like. They are worlds easier to keep clean than CS wheels.
* PASM is fine, but if I were going manual, I would only go X73 - sporty car needs hooligan sporty suspension.
* PTV is relatively cheap, you will not ever notice it until you need it - get it, you'll be glad you did one day.
* Black/Luxor is spectacular looking - super rich, love it.
* Be careful specify delete Alcantara headliner if you go with leather as it is a mismatch (not a big deal with black but noticeable).
* I think PDLS is standard, the up charge is for the "plus". Double check this.

I loved my GTS - the sound, the feel, the balance - it was truly the best car I've ever driven. Don't waist too much time debating these options because you can't choose wrong, you can only spend more or spend less.

Best regards, Matt

Hey Matt - thanks for all the great feedback and I appreciate your comments on the value of options. I tend to keep cars a really long time. My purchased-new 2008 Subaru OBXT 5MT is still going strong, looks great, is a ton of fun and extremely useful for my lifestyle. I have no plans to get rid of it. Similarly, I'm building the GTS for me and expect to have it for a long time. Especially if Porsche goes to a 4 turbo. Regardless, the feedback from you and other has been helpful to eliminate items I don't really need and to save me a few bucks. I'm likely keeping Infotainment though. I'm now at $88k down from $94K or so. This has been a valuable post for me!

Seats: I'm going to ditch the 18 way adaptive and stick with the 2 way and add in the convenience package and auto dim mirrors. I used to drive an F150. I know what that can be like for the car in front of the big vehicle and I expect the dimming mirrors will be very helpful.

Gauges/Seat Belts - This is one place I like the plain black. I've sat in cars with red and white dials and I don't care for them. I think the black seatbelts in the Black/Luxor interior ARE the contrast color. At least I'm assuming that particular interior comes with black seat belts.

Wheels - going to head back to dealer and look at a few cars but from looking at pics online of Agate cars, I'm going to go with the CS wheel. Its really nice. The question now is plain or satin.

Suspension - I was up til 12:30 last night re-reading all the threads about X73. I don't recall seeing anyone who actually opted for it complaining about it for either harshness or low ride height/scraping. Only concerns were from those who went with PASM. I changed config to include X73 but I would like to drive it again.

PTV - added - because you great guys saved me money elsewhere. And now I'll have a more performance oriented ride.

Headliner - great tip and one I hadn't even thought about. Found the checkbox and cleared it for the Alcantara. What do they replace it with?

Yes, the PDLS option on the GTS is Plus.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Gauges/Seat Belts - This is one place I like the plain black. I've sat in cars with red and white dials and I don't care for them. I think the black seatbelts in the Black/Luxor interior ARE the contrast color. At least I'm assuming that particular interior comes with black seat belts.
I was just gonna send you over to the thread about this specific interior... but I see you've already been there. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just gonna send you over to the thread about this specific interior... but I see you've already been there. :D
Yep - I've seen more than one poster get flamed for not searching before posting and I don't want to be that guy.

Thanks for the tip on the Z-Option to get the black carpet. I'll talk to sales guy. I like that look where only the seats and lower half of doors and dash are beige and everything above and below is black. Also, the black looks good behind the seats, so thanks for that tip as well. It looks slick.

Comes with black seat belts standard, right?

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
184 Posts
I ticked most of those boxes with my '14 BS.

MT
Agate Grey
Sport Techno painted Agate Grey (love them & ease of cleaning...forget about wt. issue as you wouldn't even be aware of wt. differential)
Leather Interior in Amber & Agate
Carbon Fiber trim incl. console & sills
PDLS
Sport Design Steering Wheel with Agate leather column & Amber Orange stitching
2-way Sport seats (love the additional bolstering & had them on 3 Boxsters)
Ventilated seats
Smoking pkge.
X73 suspension
PSE
Tinted rear lenses a la GTS
Bose with satellite radio (no NAV)
PTV

Hi All,

After lurking in the forums for about 2 months, I'm getting ready to place an order and would love some feedback. So welcome to my first post and thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

But first - I want to say how much I appreciate this forum and its members. This site has provided hours of research and combined with visits to my 2 local dealers, I've been able to narrow down what I want. I've been very impressed with the level of knowledge and the willingness to share among the many, many posts I've read. This seems like a great community.

Here is is - with commentary interspersed regarding each option:

Porsche Cayman GTS - I originally started with the S but quickly realized (through this site and driving cars) that the options I wanted (SC, PASM or X73, PSE) come standard with the GTS. Additionally, I couldn't find a CS or CGTS with my desired spec (or even close to it) available either new or CPO anywhere in the U.S. so I guess I'm going to order one.

Manual Transmission - I've driven the PDK in the S and GTS and it is truly an amazing transmission. But I like a third pedal and being involved with the operation of the machine. Its part of how I have fun with the car.

Agate Grey Metallic - not a fan of black (I live in Atlanta where it is hot), white, red or yellow. I like the Sapphire, but think the Grey looks better. I've read multiple posts that sports cars should be painted an appropriate sports car color - but I'm just not a yellow or red kind of guy.

Leather Interior in Black/Luxor Beige - Lots of reading and looking at cars regarding the interior. I've felt the black interior is too dark and feels smaller than it is. The Beige really opens up the interior. To avoid the monochromatic look and the reports of windshield glare I've read about, I am going with the 2 tone. I like the dash stitching and I can ventilate the seats (a plus in the South). Further, after looking at the Alcantera and reading multiple threads, I decided to go with the leather for looks, feel, function, and ease of maintenance. I have a 2008 Subaru Outback XT right now with a black plastic dash and door trim with a tan interior. The look is very similar to the Black/LB interior. It a nice look and the leather has been relatively easy to maintain.

Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Manual
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber
- Not a cheap cosmetic upgrade, but I like the look. About the only thing I've selected that has no true function.

PDLS - This just seems like a great feature and for $520, it isn't breaking the bank.

SportDesign Steering Wheel in Leather - just looks so much better IMHO.

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package - the only other option on the GTS configurator is the 2 way sport seat. This seems like an expensive option considering I'm divorced and I'm not letting my 18 year old son drive the car so I'm not certain of the value with the multiple motorized adjustments and the memory settings.. This is one the dealer has convinced me has resale value. I'm 5'10" and weigh 165lbs, so I'm certain I can find a comfortable position in the 2 way.

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way) - Yes, I could probably opt for the Convenience package to get the 2 zone HVAC and heated seats, the dimming mirrors and save some money (not much by the looks of it). But I think the interior light design package has value and is only available in another package. The Porsche Entry and Drive also seems like a nice to have feature. Certainly not a necessity.

Seat Ventilation (Front) - I mentioned I live in the South. Also read multiple posts on this site about blue jean stains on the LB leather. Hope this helps with comfort and maintaining the nice color of the seats.

Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System - a pricey option but I've been driving a 5MT using my iPhone as a GPS for years and it is really not the best option. Got pulled over last year because I was driving erratically (looking at phone) while going somewhere and the cop was nice enough to give me a warning. I also currently have XM and enjoy it. Hopefully, the system sounds like a what a $4K stereo should sound like. I honestly haven't tested the stereo on any of my drives. PSE sounds nice to me....

Smoking Package - I like the clean look of the cover and having an additional outlet to power something if needed.

PTV - I've never put a car of any kind on a race track. I expect I will go visit a Porsche driving school to truly learn how to drive it. But the GTS will split daily duty with the Subaru depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Unless I get the bug, it won't see much track time (and I read in another thread that I have to swap the 18 way seat for a bucket to do so?). We rarely get snow/ice here (and that's when the Subaru is really fun to drive) so except for getting caught in the occasional downpour, the added value of the LSD is minor, IMO. Open to other opinions.

Suspension - I've saved this for last because hours of reading has convinced me there are as many opinions on this as there are people on the forum. I had the opportunity to drive a PDK GTS with X73 and then immediately get into a CS with PASM and drive them on highway, through 50-70mph S curves and then down a 35mph pocked back road including a railroad track crossing. The circuit was about 10 minutes long. I'm sure there are nuances between the two that I missed. I agree with many posters who said that the SS is firm but not harsh. I also felt the PASM in its firmest setting was comparable in feel. I did not notice any difference in the steering feel that some posters have written about. And unless both cars are sitting next to one another, it is hard to discern the 10mm ride height difference. At the end of the day, I've convinced myself to go with the PASM for its flexibility. One thing I truly like about the Cayman is that it is easy to drive it like a normal considerate human being. And when you want to act like a hooligan, you just push a button or two.

Looking forward to any feedback you all have. Where am I off the mark? What did I select that you have on your car but wish you didn't have? What do I need that I left off the build?

I have to tell you this process has been so much fun and I'm really excited. I've always aspired to own a Porsche and have never owned a car anywhere near this price point or a true sports car (my OBXT is as close as it comes and I drive the snot out of it). Sales guy says that there shouldn't be a problem to get a GTS allocation as I'll be very early in the 2016 cycle. So, I'm looking late summer for delivery. Unless I go to Germany for delivery - another thought if I can work out the timing....

If all goes to plan, I'll be in the dealer putting a deposit down the first week of May. Then the wait begins....

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Lots of good feedback from other folks. On the 18-way seats, I'd take the comment from the SA about adding resale value with a grain of salt. It can go either way: I wouldn't buy a Porsche with the 18-ways because no matter how they're adjusted they don't fit me as well as the two-way Sport Plus seats. Other folks can't get comfy in the Sport or Sport Plus seats and need multi-adjustability. Buy what fits YOU, keeping in mind you'll probably adjust them once if you're the only driver. Unless you're a bigger dude and need to slide the seat back and the wheel up to get in and out, the memory function will mostly be unused as well.

Reactions: jssgranite

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yep - I've seen more than one poster get flamed for not searching before posting and I don't want to be that guy.

Thanks for the tip on the Z-Option to get the black carpet. I'll talk to sales guy. I like that look where only the seats and lower half of doors and dash are beige and everything above and below is black. Also, the black looks good behind the seats, so thanks for that tip as well. It looks slick.

Comes with black seat belts standard, right?
Yes, it comes with black seat belts. And since you're ordering a GTS, I'll highly recommend the black aluminum trim instead of the carbon fiber with the Black/Luxor interior. It's not as flashy as the CF, but it sure looks damned classy in there. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it comes with black seat belts. And since you're ordering a GTS, I'll highly recommend the black aluminum trim instead of the carbon fiber with the Black/Luxor interior. It's not as flashy as the CF, but it sure looks damned classy in there. :)
Thanks again - I'll check it out. Didn't realize the aluminum came in black but I see it in the configurator. Swapping CF for Black AL saves about a kilobuck. Is it anodized or painted? CF won't show scratches but aluminum will.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts