Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Cayman back from the body shop for almost two weeks now, but we haven't seen the sun shine here in North Carolina since then.

Today was the first day that I could get her out to shoot some pictures.

The stripes are a Maserati sliver with a double black pinstripe. The stripes have been buried underneath with clearcoat. Big shout out to the fine folks at European Auto Works here in Greensboro. They did a fantastic job.

I was determined since day 1 that I was going to keep her 100% stock, but what's the fun it that? Now she has a little more personality:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, I like that I used vinyl on my car thinking I would switch it up every fews years. Maybe this will be the next design for me. I'm saving it as an option for sure.:thanks:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wow, very tasteful I really like it. Nice customization.

dave-t

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Stunning..!!!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
To be honest initially I thought so so, but the more I look at it the more I really like it. I think the silver you chose is fantastic, it has a classic look about it. well done you have really thought this out & has paid dividends.

Also the black cayman badge looks brilliant.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice! I like it a lot!
I was actually thinking of doing this (although with vinyl) when I saw a white Cayman with the Gulf Blue stripes. But mine is Silver, White is much easier color to mix and match with.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Nice! I like it a lot!
I was actually thinking of doing this (although with vinyl) when I saw a white Cayman with the Gulf Blue stripes. But mine is Silver, White is much easier color to mix and match with.

:)
Well, maybe you have more guts than I do... mine is silver too and not sure what stripes would look nice on it. Have you seen a striped Arctic Silver? I'd be grateful if you can share the picture if so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The stripes not only look good, but gives the Cayman character for the car that it is. I agree it would hard not to do any mods after looking at it with those racing stripes. Looks great
KIMO

·
Registered
100 Posts
Purdy son-of-a-gun!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The kind words are greatly appreciated.

I am a designer by trade and the width, spacing, color and layout were extremely important to me. Initially, I only wanted silver stripes. I believe the addition of the pinstripe gives a more detailed look. From a distance, it looks like one single black pinstripe. The double pinstripe is only visible once you get close to the car. It's a nice effect.

The body guys took the time to mock the layout so that I was satisfied with the look. If anyone is considering something like this, I would recommend to have at least the hood taped off BEFORE you agree to dimensions and send it to paint. It will give you a good sense of what the final product will look like.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Monochrome,
I think your stripes look fantastic! Great job.
However, you may need to change your name now.
BW

·
Registered
620 Posts
This was a risky move - but it came out Great! Really tasteful! Personally, I'd now throw some wheels and suspension at it (but I guess that's obvious from my car).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Excellent! Looks Great! What wheels are you going to put on now? I think gun metal or black would really make the stripes pop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That looks really great! What does that sort of work cost if you don't mind the question. I want to do something like that with my Boxster.
Thanks!

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,874 Posts
monochrome:
IMHO unless they're tastefully done, racing stripes can scream "boy racer." Yours are very tastefully done, and your car looks terrific as a result. Well done!
A couple of questions regarding the finer design points, if you don't mind:
1) Did you consider omitting the Cayman model designation on the hatch? You obviously gave this area some thought, since you selected the black color. Nice contrast, BTW.
2) I'm curious how you decided where to terminate the stripes on the rear bumper. I might have considered extending them a bit, to the top of the license plate cutout. IMHO this would lend symmetry to the front termination at the hood-to-bumper seam. Your thoughts?
Thanks for having the courage to realize your vision, and for sharing the results with us.
Regards,
Croc'ed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts