Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've noticed a new noise today on my 2011 2.9 39k miles Boxster. It's quite tinny louder than the normal tapping noise which I'm used to in this car and my previous caymans and only there when revs are between 1800 - 3000 and only when engine is warm.

40k service was done 1500 miles ago.

I've taken a video of the noise, it's my little one in the background saying it sounds like a tractor ??

https://youtu.be/9Rzw2xfDG4o

Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
josh have you checked the items in posts 2, 3 from owm and budman?
I'll deep dive into that area more this week. I've been under the car while replicating this noise with a stethoscope and cannot for the life of me locate the area that it emanates from. I'll pull all the covers off this week and keep digging. When I changed the serpentine belt this summer nothing obvious was loose on any pulleys. I keep checking that area though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rattle I had turned out to be a loose o2 sensor. Tap on your cat to see if the cat material is loose or wiggle the 02 sensor to see if it needs tightening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update, root cause not found for me yet. Checked torque on all O2 sensors, checked all accessory items and pulleys, obvious heat shields. It still appears to be exhaust related, but cannot pin point. I'm thinking maybe an exhaust leak I can't find or a cat going bad. I'm leaning towards catalytic converter, the sound only happens when the engine is hot, and I mean fully hot. I've taken a stethoscope to every other thing I can think of. If I ever figure it out, I'll post here.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
josh it sounds like you did the right thing, using the stethoscope on the water pump, alternator, a/c compressor or steering pump. did you by any chance check the belt tensioner while you were in there? any oil leak?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked the tensioner. No leaks I can find. I took the whole exhaust off this weekend to see if there was something loose or an exhuast leak. I put all new gaskets on the exhuast, and no change. Tighten every bolt to a heat shield I could get to. I'll probably stethoscope the cam chain tensioner areas as a last ditch effort. Though this doesn't seem to be a cam chain tensioner issue. I guess at some point I'll just have to live with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts