Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce myself, I'm a long time SCCA member who has autocrossed since 1977,I'm currently regional executive of the Mid South region of SCCA in Memphis TN. SCCA has recently announced a new street touring class for roadsters with NA motors under 2.8 liters. There intention was to make a class for MX5 Miatas and Honda S2000s, but a Boxster looks to me to be the best option.The class rules allow for any shocks and springs including coilovers with adjustable ride height,camber plates and strut bars.The maximum wheel width is 8.5"any diameter and 245 section width tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or greater.Drop in limited slip differentials are also allowed.I'm currently considering purchasing a 05 or later Boxster to compete. How hard is it to find a 6 speed in a base Boxster and are there any other options I should consider?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't really understand this class. It seems like 2.7 Cayman would be a good fit but the rear wheels/tires on 18's are too wide. Wouldn't this be an issue for any current Boxsters as well?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Look for an '07 and up boxster or cayman, they have the more powerful 2.7 (245hp). You will need to downsize the rear wheels, but that should not be a big issue, there is an excess of rear grip anyway. I would not worry about the lsd, the 2.7's don't really have enough power to cause rampant inside wheelspin. Just a add a little front bar. I ran the cayman in A-stock at the blytheville pro, no inside wheelspin with the gt3 bar and A6's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The class is for roadsters only. Is there a limited slip differential available for the 5 speed or tiptronic gearbox? What attracted me to the class is not having to run R compound tires. Changing tires in 100 degree heat is not for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look for an '07 and up boxster or cayman, they have the more powerful 2.7 (245hp). You will need to downsize the rear wheels, but that should not be a big issue, there is an excess of rear grip anyway. I would not worry about the lsd, the 2.7's don't really have enough power to cause rampant inside wheelspin. Just a add a little front bar. I ran the cayman in A-stock at the blytheville pro, no inside wheelspin with the gt3 bar and A6's.
I remember seeing your car run at Blytheville. I believe you had the yellow Cayman with the driveout tag. I noticed you were running a tiptronic, do you loose any performance compared to the manual transmission? That also may explain the car's lack of wheelspin.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember seeing your car run at Blytheville. I believe you had the yellow Cayman with the driveout tag. I noticed you were running a tiptronic, do you loose any performance compared to the manual transmission? That also may explain the car's lack of wheelspin.
It is a 5spd car, not a tip. I expected more, but only got a hint in the middle of the short slalom if I was flinging the car very hard left/right at full throttle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With an S, or even an '09 with the added torque maybe. I was pleasantly surprised. This is with 255f/285r Hoosier A6's, so the tires certainly help hook it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts