Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, it looks like we finally have some info on the new GT4. Not the detuned GT3 engine but still a 6 cylinder NA to make 420hp, a 35 hp increase.
If we assume the new Spyder will go from 375 to 410 and trading up would cost say approximately 20-30K depending on condition of 2016 and new price/options.
Who with a 981 will swap for the new one? I have a slot for the new one and will need to see final stats and price but I may stay put. Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sooo, it looks like we finally have some info on the new GT4. Not the detuned GT3 engine but still a 6 cylinder NA to make 420hp, a 35 hp increase.
Interesting. Where are you getting this info?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insiders on Rennlist who have seen it up close and personal supposedly.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Not planning to upgrade. I'm still seconds slower than the car's capability, so put the upgrade cost toward track time. Also some safety upgrades. Will be interesting to see what if any suspension tweaks the GT4 gets. If PDK is available later that will be a pretty big deal I think.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
996 Posts
If we assume the new Spyder will go from 375 to 410 and trading up would cost say approximately 20-30K depending on condition of 2016 and new price/options.
Who with a 981 will swap for the new one? I have a slot for the new one and will need to see final stats and price but I may stay put. Thoughts???
If it’s 420 HP, sounds like it’s a version of the 991.1 Carrera GTS engine. I’m surprised they kept the production lines open for those, unless Porsche reserved a thousand engines or so....

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The same “insiders” who were certain it would be a detuned GT3 engine? I believe about 1 out of 10 claims made by the Rennlist blowhards. Even if someone has seen a 718 with a NA flat six in it, that doesn’t mean it’s a production car. I’ll belive the next gen GT4 and Spyder have sixes when Porsche says it’s so.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah. I placed a deposit on a Spyder about 6 months ago, but I don't think I'll do it. Two of the most important lessons in life are...
1. Marry the right woman
2. Never sell a car that you love

I did the 1st 30 years ago and screwed up the 2nd when I sold my Alfa GTV6 after 17 years of ownership. I love my BS (yes more than the GTV6, but I still miss the Alfa). I also placed a deposit on a 992 GTS. I think having that and my BS will make me never regret passing on the Spyder (and will completely absolve my guilt of selling the GTV6). I plan on having my BS and the GTS until at least my 212th birthday.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I learned long ago never to say; "Never again..." I am on my forth Boxster and told everybody that my 2016 BGTS was the last one, who was I trying to convince? ;)

I'll wait to see the official Porsche announcement for the Spyder/GT4, only then will I be able to decide, I could easily stay with my car, it does everything I need, but the allure of a bigger engine and to once again throw money at Porsche's feet might be too tempting to resist, for some reason I have convinced myself that I NEED PCCB brakes! :hilarious:

Now that Porsche has positioned the Boxster and Cayman side by side, and actually charge more for the cab, like the current GTS models for these cars the engines would likely have the same specified HP and torque.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that some pics are out I’m not crazy about the rear end of the new GT4. If the Spyder rear is similar that may be another reason to stay with the current model which looks nicer imo.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Now that some pics are out I’m not crazy about the rear end of the new GT4. If the Spyder rear is similar that may be another reason to stay with the current model which looks nicer imo.
If I can assume that you still have the cars in you signature, including that 2016 Spyder, personally I would stay put, not because of the styling changes but simply there is just not enough reasons to move ahead.

In my case with a GTS, although there may be more reasons to change up, bigger engine, a few different options, it is still tough because I love the way my car looks, with the complete Spyder front end and diffuser, GT4 side sccops it is unique and all Porsche.

As for those pictures, it is tough to say, still a lot of duct tape all over both cars, the side ducts on the GT4 only recently changed to only one septum and the scoops, the daytime running lights are still well masked, the Spyder has been seen with the 4-cyl side intakes and also with the single septum and GT4 style scoops and that rear diffuser still looks like it is actually made from duct tape...

I am waiting for the official reveal, clean pictures and real specs before I make any final decision.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I spoke with an account manager at Porsche of Vancouver last week and he was very matter-of-fact about the 718 Spyder. Late summer release, 2020 model year, naturally aspirated flat 6, 4.0L. They are taking refundable deposits to put people in a line for allocations - and he claimed to have a couple already.

They are #2 in volume in Canada. It should be noted that I reached out to my contact at Pfaff (#1 in Canada - Toronto) a couple of weeks ago and they claimed to know absolutely nothing about the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I spoke with an account manager at Porsche of Vancouver last week and he was very matter-of-fact about the 718 Spyder. Late summer release, 2020 model year, naturally aspirated flat 6, 4.0L. They are taking refundable deposits to put people in a line for allocations - and he claimed to have a couple already.

They are #2 in volume in Canada. It should be noted that I reached out to my contact at Pfaff (#1 in Canada - Toronto) a couple of weeks ago and they claimed to know absolutely nothing about the vehicle.
Interesting... conflicting reports so still we wait for 'official' news.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Right. The "scoop" up until summer this year was that "launch" was imminent as a MY 2019, after failing to show at the spring car shows. Now it's late summer 2019 release as a MY 2020? Oh, but it definitely has the 4.0 L 6. :rolleyes:
As of a couple of weeks ago senior folks at my local dealer knew nothing about a next-gen Spyder or GT4.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Right. The "scoop" up until summer this year was that "launch" was imminent as a MY 2019, after failing to show at the spring car shows. Now it's late summer 2019 release as a MY 2020? Oh, but it definitely has the 4.0 L 6. :rolleyes:
As of a couple of weeks ago senior folks at my local dealer knew nothing about a next-gen Spyder or GT4.
Oh come on, don't dash our dream, it doesn't hurt the hype when things are delayed a bit... besides the 981 version was released in the 4th model years so it makes sense to wait until 2020 for the 718, yes that sounds about right, 2020 for the next gen Spyder/GT4. :cheers:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Pretty much what I’ve been saying and I’ve not had the privilege of being an insider to see the car. It just makes sense if it’s not a flat 4. Porsche is not gonna use a GT3 powerplant.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we will know everything pretty soon. The L.A. Auto show is in 5 weeks+. My guess is 3.8-4.0 flat six, 420hp. But will it sound as good as a 981 if it has a particulate filter and will it look as beautiful as a 981 which is hard to beat imo.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think we will know everything pretty soon. The L.A. Auto show is in 5 weeks+. My guess is 3.8-4.0 flat six, 420hp. But will it sound as good as a 981 if it has a particulate filter and will it look as beautiful as a 981 which is hard to beat imo.
I agree on all but the 4.0. My theory is 3.8 spec bumped if not a flat 4 turbo with substantial spec bump from the S/GTS. I just don’t see Porsche using a 4.0 in this line. Not yet anyway.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

As we are all speculating... ;) The stated direction for the "GT" platform is naturally aspirated so definitely a flat 6, likely the 4.0l as the 3.8l is not used in new current models IIRC...

As for the look, the 981 has the best lines yet, especially the Spyder/GT4, but the pictures I have seen of the 718 variant look great too, just a slight evolution in style, the only thing I haven't got a good feel for is the front bumper.

Hmmm a reveal in LA, maybe but if this is going to go on sale next year for late summer delivery then it might be unveiled in Paris or Geneva.

I agree on all but the 4.0. My theory is 3.8 spec bumped if not a flat 4 turbo with substantial spec bump from the S/GTS. I just don’t see Porsche using a 4.0 in this line. Not yet anyway.

Posted using Tapatalk
And definitely not a flat 4 turbo, a 4.0l for the reasons above and as they are also prepping a Club Sport version of the GT4 for racing, doubtful they would mix 2 engine versions within this sub-model.

:cheers:

·
Registered
950 Posts
And definitely not a flat 4 turbo, a 4.0l for the reasons above and as they are also prepping a Club Sport version of the GT4 for racing, doubtful they would mix 2 engine versions within this sub-model.

:cheers:
I don’t think using a flat 6 makes sense with marketing a “718” but I also don’t see them using a 4.0. Club Sport maybe but even then....I dunno...seems unlikely they would use that powerplant in a “lesser” model. This is why I agree with the 3.8 theory. Sure it’s not used now, but why not use it anyway?

Of course we don’t know where they are going with it but anything but a spec bumped flat 4 makes no sense in a “718”. If they do, it just unravels the marketing for a 718 lineage and proves the flat 4 was a necessity and the 718 tie was an afterthought of how to justify and market such a polarizing decision. Not to say they won’t make up their own justification and connection to history.

They are much like Apple with its realty distortion field machine.

Bottom line they’ll do what they want whether it makes sense to all of us or not.

Posted using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 129 Posts