Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I believe Dundon already has something like that. D4 kit or something. Their headers and a gt3 style exhaust plus the D4 kit is actually producing a very impressive bit of power. Don't need no X51 parts!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just watched a 4 day old video of the Clubsport on track, it does not sound like a 6 to me. At all... At one point being followed by a new 935(991) in all black and they most definitely sound different. It just sounds so different.

We shall see but I still say 4.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Whatever it sounds like the Clubsport IS a NA 6 cylinder per the owners who have seen and driven it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I just watched a 4 day old video of the Clubsport on track, it does not sound like a 6 to me. At all... At one point being followed by a new 935(991) in all black and they most definitely sound different. It just sounds so different.

We shall see but I still say 4.

Posted using Tapatalk
I guess that you did not see the latest e-brake news? ;)

Technical description Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport (Type 982)
Concept
Single-seater, near-standard production-based race car, not road homologated
Engine
Aluminium six-cylinder mid-positioned boxer engine with rigid mounting
3,800 cc; stroke 77.5 mm, bore 102 mm
Max. power: 313 kW (425 hp) at 7,500 rpm
Max. rpm: 7,800 rpm
Max. torque: 425 Nm at 6,600 rpm
Compression ratio: 12.5:1
Racing optimised water cooling with thermal management for engine and gearbox
Four-valve technology with adjustable camshaft phasing and variable valve timing VarioCam Plus
Fuel quality: Super Plus unleaded, minimum 98 octane
Racing optimised electronic engine management (Continental SDI 9)
Integrated dry sump lubrication
100-cell metal catalytic converter complying with DMSB specifications

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
If it's the same 3.8 with a 45hp bump for a new intake manifold, somebody is gonna make a lot of money selling that manifold aftermarket! Would be in line for that like millennials at the Apple Store for a new iPhone....
Because the ClubSport engine is in a race car they can get away with something that would make doing the same mods to a street engine a little tough to accommodate:

Fuel quality: Super Plus unleaded, minimum 98 octane

·
Registered
948 Posts
I guess that you did not see the latest e-brake news? ;)
I just did after it dropped last night.

Never mind....

It sure sounds different! So the 718 stays with a car that has a different cylinder count than the production version. And we can assume the road legal GT4 will follow suit. I still maintain that is just stupid, painted into a corner marketing. To me, it just proves the numbers are just that. Marketing. Which is fine I guess. It just feels a little disingenuous.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I just did after it dropped last night.

Never mind....

It sure sounds different! So the 718 stays with a car that has a different cylinder count than the production version. And we can assume the road legal GT4 will follow suit. I still maintain that is just stupid, painted into a corner marketing. To me, it just proves the numbers are just that. Marketing. Which is fine I guess. It just feels a little disingenuous.

Posted using Tapatalk
I am not sure I would say disingenuous, with the 4-cyl they were catering to other markets like China and the far east where a 6-cylinder makes the mid-engine car less salable. The ClubSport is for the racing scene, where as the road going GT4/Spyder has to offer something above the 'other' 718 models, it has to be unique and desirable, not simply with more power which they could have done with the turbo-4, no they have to up the ante.

Since it has been stated that the 3.8l is for the race car only, and the street version needs credentials to make people buy it, a current production 4.0l makes sense, easy to power on street gas, unique so they can charge more for it and perhaps the last of its kind before the hybrid craze runs over all of this.

Anyway that is my take on it, when the road car gets announce in Geneva (my prediction) we will know for sure, but as always Porsche will do what they think will cater to more sales.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am not sure I would say disingenuous, with the 4-cyl they were catering to other markets like China and the far east where a 6-cylinder makes the mid-engine car less salable.
I’m ok with that strategy, it’s just the 718 moniker I think should not be used across the whole line if they want/need to mix powerplants.

The ClubSport is for the racing scene, where as the road going GT4/Spyder has to offer something above the 'other' 718 models, it has to be unique and desirable, not simply with more power which they could have done with the turbo-4, no they have to up the ante.
I agree, but that’s even more reason to not use the ‘718’ in the names.

Since it has been stated that the 3.8l is for the race car only, and the street version needs credentials to make people buy it, a current production 4.0l makes sense, easy to power on street gas, unique so they can charge more for it and perhaps the last of its kind before the hybrid craze runs over all of this.

Anyway that is my take on it, when the road car gets announce in Geneva (my prediction) we will know for sure, but as always Porsche will do what they think will cater to more sales.
I would have made the 718 a line below the 982, and left the 6 in the 982 as an option for those who want a 6. But, hey, they didn’t ask me.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Right. Because the Clubsport has the 3.8, that means the street version will have the (detuned) 4.0 from the GT3? So (still) says the internet lol? I'm still betting on Turbo 4.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Right. Because the Clubsport has the 3.8, that means the street version will have the (detuned) 4.0 from the GT3? So (still) says the internet lol? I'm still betting on Turbo 4.
The recent article in Road and Track didn't convince you? ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I’m still turbo 4 on the GT4/Spyder because it makes no sense otherwise, but based on info from PCA the clubsport won’t be. The rest of the auto rags and internet wouldn’t convince me otherwise. PCA national news letter, yeah.

It makes not one hill of beans to me because the flat 6 is likely dead in the 98x and that spells the end of my relationship with Porsche as far as a ‘new’ car. There’s not one ‘new’ 911 that’s in my future, by a long shot. I just don’t like the games with the 718 marketing as I’ve stated many times. Porsche will do what they need to do to justify their decisions with the 982 and market the hell out of it to convince buyers how much it’s tied to their history, even if that includes doubling back on engine choices and talking a different story to different customers. I just won’t be one of them.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It makes not one hill of beans to me because the flat 6 is likely dead in the 98x and that spells the end of my relationship with Porsche as far as a ‘new’ car.
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. As a four decade owner of Porsches, my 981S will be my last new Porsche.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. As a four decade owner of Porsches, my 981S will be my last new Porsche.
Yep. My plan was to order a 2019 to my exact spec but the 2017 launch shut that down. People can say all they want about the flat 4 with more power, better chassis (which I can’t see it being THAT much better), I’m sorry, it sounds awful and in no world will I pay close to $100k for a Porsche with a 4 cylinder. It ain’t happening.

Oh well. I love this car so much anyway and can’t wait to get it back out in about 3-4 months.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Yep. My plan was to order a 2019 to my exact spec but the 2017 launch shut that down. People can say all they want about the flat 4 with more power, better chassis (which I can’t see it being THAT much better), I’m sorry, it sounds awful and in no world will I pay close to $100k for a Porsche with a 4 cylinder. It ain’t happening.

Oh well. I love this car so much anyway and can’t wait to get it back out in about 3-4 months.

Posted using Tapatalk
It will be interesting to watch the depreciation on 981s. Having a 2013 981S, I'm at the low end of the depreciation cure. Maybe 981s will start appreciating in value in another five years. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
It will be interesting to watch the depreciation on 981s. Having a 2013 981S, I'm at the low end of the depreciation cure. Maybe 981s will start appreciating in value in another five years. :)
It doesn’t matter to me really, but that’s my thought too. Last flat 6 etc...mine is a 6spd and I think they will eventually be really hard to come by.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It doesn’t matter to me really, but that’s my thought too. Last flat 6 etc...mine is a 6spd and I think they will eventually be really hard to come by.

Posted using Tapatalk
My current GTS is a manual as well, I love it and how it turned out, unique but all Porsche and under warranty. My desire for the "982" Spyder is to update the build specs just a little more and who could say no to more HP! ;)

But at the same time I want the NA-6 and the manual transmission, exactly what a GT car is know for, so for me all things need to align for me to make the move, otherwise I will stay with my 2016 GTS.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If the new model is a 4-cyl...then all Spyder owners on this thread have hit the jackpot. The 981 Spyder will instantly become more desirable than it already is. Wouldn't that be nice? The car would reach unicorn status...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
If the new model is a 4-cyl...then all Spyder owners on this thread have hit the jackpot. The 981 Spyder will instantly become more desirable than it already is. Wouldn't that be nice? The car would reach unicorn status...
Very true and maybe something to hope for if you already own one but my bet is a NA 6.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Very true and maybe something to hope for if you already own one but my bet is a NA 6.
Don't know what 981 Spyders are currently selling for, but the asking prices for preowned ones are at the original sticker or higher, at least they are in my area.
That is true up here as well, most over invoice and very low miles.

IMHO this sad in a way as this means it was a speculative buy and they have not really been enjoyed, my SA loves this kind of trade!

81 - 100 of 129 Posts