Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
That is true up here as well, most over invoice and very low miles.

IMHO this sad in a way as this means it was a speculative buy and they have not really been enjoyed, my SA loves this kind of trade!
With so few Spyders sold in Canada compared to GT4s, the Spyders are commanding high prices on resale. A very nice low miles example that stickered new at the dealer here at $123k was sold in the fall at or very near its $140k asking price. Meanwhile, a very nice GT4 with equivalent mileage (but a little lower spec) remains unsold at $114k asking. The trouble with unicorns is that if you actually use them, their horn falls off and they become regular steeds.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts

Hey guys as you know I have a 2016 GTS, at the time the 981 Spyder came out I could not envision the manual top as I was driving my GTS every day in situations where the top might get operated3-4 times in the day, the power top on the Boxster is incredible and with the SmartTop module virtually automatic so it suited my needs exactly, now however and looking towards the possible introduction on the next Spyder, I think that because my usage for the car has changed I could actually live with a manual top... :)

So I have a question, noise with the top up, my Boxster top has sound insulation, a magnesium forward panel and an inner liner, all of which not only blocks sound out but also prevents it from becoming a 'drum skin' in the wind, what are your thoughts about the inner cabin experience when the top is up, because as we know it does rain and it will need to be up at times!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hey guys as you know I have a 2016 GTS, at the time the 981 Spyder came out I could not envision the manual top as I was driving my GTS every day in situations where the top might get operated3-4 times in the day, the power top on the Boxster is incredible and with the SmartTop module virtually automatic so it suited my needs exactly, now however and looking towards the possible introduction on the next Spyder, I think that because my usage for the car has changed I could actually live with a manual top... :)

So I have a question, noise with the top up, my Boxster top has sound insulation, a magnesium forward panel and an inner liner, all of which not only blocks sound out but also prevents it from becoming a 'drum skin' in the wind, what are your thoughts about the inner cabin experience when the top is up, because as we know it does rain and it will need to be up at times!

Thanks!

I will be honest. The roof provides absolutely minimal sound protection. In fact if a loud car or truck goes by me it almost feels like I have left a window open or something. It dampen the noises somewhat of course but it's still very 'open' sounding. Hope the description makes sense. There's just nowhere to escape from the outside noise in a Spyder. I honestly got used to it and don't mind it because the noise of the engine is much louder in general and there's no hiding from that either.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I will be honest. The roof provides absolutely minimal sound protection. In fact if a loud car or truck goes by me it almost feels like I have left a window open or something. It dampen the noises somewhat of course but it's still very 'open' sounding. Hope the description makes sense. There's just nowhere to escape from the outside noise in a Spyder. I honestly got used to it and don't mind it because the noise of the engine is much louder in general and there's no hiding from that either.
Thanks for being candid, makes me worry a bit, the top on the GTS is 'almost' as good as a regular roof, very quiet and no wind noise at any speed, cruising down the highway, the stereo is clear and talking to the passenger is easy with no need to raise your voice, we love road trips and I fear hours of driving might take me back to my days with the soft-top Jeep YJ! :eek:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks for being candid, makes me worry a bit, the top on the GTS is 'almost' as good as a regular roof, very quiet and no wind noise at any speed, cruising down the highway, the stereo is clear and talking to the passenger is easy with no need to raise your voice, we love road trips and I fear hours of driving might take me back to my days with the soft-top Jeep YJ! :eek:

Definitely have to raise your voice. Tire roar is quite loud as well. I think they prob have less sound deadening materials too in the car compared to say a GTS Boxster. It doesn't bug me. I drove from Atlanta to Ashville and back and while I have had more comfortable trips at no point in the drive did my wife or me think that it was uncomfortable. I even have the LWBS and my wife took a nice long nap while I enjoyed the road!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Agree with Digital, there is no buffeting of the top but you do notice minimal insulation. I have a Miata retractable hard top and a 991.2 Cab which are both essentially a coupe when the top is up in terms of sound. Not true with the Spyder. However, in the Spyder you are much closer to the engine which to me sounds louder with the top up. To me that’s a good thing as I love the sound but could be trying on a long trip.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Well just a few more days until Geneva, I don't see the GT4/Spyder listed under Porsche for Premiere, just the Cayman/Boxster T...

Could it be this is not the venue, the wait is killing me! :helpme:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I think general consensus has changed that car details will be dropped during Goodwood and not Geneva. I think Goodwood is in June?
Really? Not a challenge but I did not know that Porsche announced new models at Goodwood?

If not Geneva then my SA will be a little disappointed, I think he wanted my car now before I head south on the next road trip! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have never heard Porsche doing that either - announcing cars at Goodwood. NY auto show could be a possibility but looks like a no go in Geneva. All this is what I have gleaned from the forums and the net trawling in my spare time. I think they are saying Taycan and Speedster will be shown at the Geneva auto show.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
hehe...maybe they like the conjecture and want all 6cyl owners to sweat it out before they announce the 4cyl turbo Spyder....lol
Steve, now that is just cruel!

However, the announcement of a 4cyl-turbo Spyder would save me a ton of money... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Well for me I think they should take their time and make sure it's a lousy sounding turbo 4, PDK only and hold off until 2021 for 5 years.
That way my Spyder will go up another 20K.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
And run flats would help greatly.

:hilarious::dance::cheers::beer:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Agree, run flats would be nicer than goop. I personally would love FAL as an option but I’m not holding out much hope for it.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Wow, tough crowd...

I want your addresses, I need to send along some "extra-strength" Porsche Kool-Aid!

;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It'll cost me money. Been looking at McLaren 650s
haha I been looking at Aston Martin V12 Vantage S and test drove 2 of them. And also looking at the McLaren MP4-12C cars as well. Got a test drive scheduled in the near future once it gets a bit warm. It's also a Spider.

Here are all the cars so far announced at the Geneva auto show: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
haha I been looking at Aston Martin V12 Vantage S and test drove 2 of them. And also looking at the McLaren MP4-12C cars as well. Got a test drive scheduled in the near future once it gets a bit warm. It's also a Spider.

Here are all the cars so far announced at the Geneva auto show: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show
A buddy of mine has a V8 Vantage, I had a chance to drive it, nice car but for me a little big and heavy, the Boxster is still my go to car at this time, possibly a Spyder if it ever gets announced... :(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A buddy of mine has a V8 Vantage, I had a chance to drive it, nice car but for me a little big and heavy, the Boxster is still my go to car at this time, possibly a Spyder if it ever gets announced... :(
Agreed on the V8. The V12 is a whole different beast though. Car felt incredibly agile. And that noise. And the attention it got was ridiculous and I was just in a plain white one!

101 - 120 of 129 Posts