Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Spyder or Cayman S ***NEW INFO***

Hello All,

New to the forum and first post. After seeing the 2011 release from the LA Auto Show on the Spyder, I thought, WOW, got to have that car. Never owned a Porsche, but the more I look into the models the more I'm torn between the Spyder and the Cayman S. Thought I would come to the source. This car will not be a daily driver. I live in Northern CA so the weather is doable for a car like the Spyder. I read that MT artical about the best handeling car and the Cayman S came out on top out of like 12 cars. Very impressive and yes I know you can't always rely on those rags, but this time they got it right :). So thoughts, opinions would be great. I know some will say the Spyder is over prices with less stuff, A/C, radio etc..But really looking at the Cayman S owners to chime and tell me why you love your cars.

Thanks again and seems like a great forum!!!

PCW

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Are you going to track it? If no, then the Spyder for a fair weather car (i.e. non daily driver) is just about perfect. I assume you have a garage to store it in.

I have a daily driver that sees few track days per year. Its truly a daily driver - winter tires are on at the moment. Cayman is my choice over the Boxster even Spyder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to track it? If no, then the Spyder for a fair weather car (i.e. non daily driver) is just about perfect. I assume you have a garage to store it in.

I have a daily driver that sees few track days per year. Its truly a daily driver - winter tires are on at the moment. Cayman is my choice over the Boxster even Spyder.

Tomasz,

No, will not be tracking the Spyder, at lease right now that is not the intent :) Yes, I have a 4 car garage with a lift. So lots of room and can do most of my own maintenance. I agree, if the Spyder doesn't pan out, the Cayman S would be my next choice. Of course, probably would take much to persuade me to a CS, I'm really liking what I'm reading and hearing from you owners

Thanks
PCW

·
Registered
65 Posts
If its not a DD, get the Spyder. The CS is an amazing car as well, but for fair weather cars it always makes sense to have a drop top. CS would be my choice for sure if it was a DD.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Schwabe and jshnyc, As long as the dealer doesn't want to add 10-15K of dealer mark up on the Spyder. Out here in CA, all dealers, all manufacturers want to mark things up. With the Spyder being kinda a limited production/nince car who knows. That would be a deal breaker with the Spyder, but that's would be OK because the CS would do just fine :)

PCW

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Schwabe and jshnyc, As long as the dealer doesn't want to add 10-15K of dealer mark up on the Spyder. Out here in CA, all dealers, all manufacturers want to mark things up. With the Spyder being kinda a limited production/nince car who knows. That would be a deal breaker with the Spyder, but that's would be OK because the CS would do just fine :)

PCW
Has Porsche announced how many Spyders it will produce?
Or, for how long the production run will last?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has Porsche announced how many Spyders it will produce?
Or, for how long the production run will last?

At the announcement, it was stated, Porsche expected the Spyder would account for 10% of Boxster sales. Whatever that is, no mention on length of production run.

pcw

·
Registered
159 Posts
CS without a doubt. Just my opinion though. Then again, if it's a 2nd or 3rd car, spyder may be fun. There are a few things I love about it and others not so much.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I'm a CS driver on a DD basis and love it, but on a sunny summer day, especially with a car that looks as fantastic as the Spyder, I would lean that way if the premium is not too bad. Face it: to be faster / sportier it must weigh less, so less equipment is the trade-off. It will still be faster on the track and command some exclusivity in the out years.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
That's an easy choice for me.... Cayman S.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cayman S for me too. Just too many design things I don't really like about the Spyder. Not too keen on a "fun" car without AC or radio, etc. Kinda defeats the purpose for me. Now if it was primarily a track car, that would be a different story.

I take that back. I would want a CS on the track too. Metal roof equals a more rigid chassis and more protection for the noggin if things go wrong. :eek:

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I don't klnow the more I look at the Syder the more I like.....even in the captain america version

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I like the look of the Spyder, but I prefer the Cayman.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I would get some clarity from this thread, but you guys are making it an even harder decision :) I have my local dealer emailing me the order/option guide for the Spyder today. They are ordering their 2 allotments on 12/13 and the build date will be in March. Once I look over it and make my choices, I will ask the million dollar question, how much??? I already have an almost exact prices including Tax and Lic of what it should be, but the dredded dealer mark up is still in question. If they insist on marking it up, I'll say thanks, but no thanks and move on to a different dealer for a CS. I have already been looking at all dealers in NORCAL and found some 2008/09 CS leftovers that I know I can can get some movement on the price.

PCW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe if the Spyder falls through, wait until Feb/March, and see if the rumored hotted-up club-sport Cayman surfaces, and get the best of both worlds.

Who knows... just when the order books for the spyder allocations get full, they'll drop the cayman version, too, and get another wave of orders... :D

but somehow I have a hard time thinking that either a CS or a B-Spyder would be a disappointment, unless you live in an area with a LOT of precipitation all the time. (then might as well have a roof...)

·
Registered
39 Posts
PCW, you should see which vehicle fits better. Depending on your height and length of waist, you may or may not fit in a Boxster, i.e., do you look over the windshield? Wife and I do not fit in Boxster well, but the Cayman S is great!
If you fit in both cars, order the Spyder with radio and AC. You are in CA and it looks great!:dance:

·
Registered
463 Posts
The basic question is how badly do you want some form of open top motoring? I absolutely love the Cayman but without at least a sunroof I wouldn't buy it for my "nice" weather car. If you want to truly enjoy the elements and have a high performance Porsche too than the Spyder will give you both. Plus the benefit of the exclusivity. My Boxster is the exact color combo of the Spyder model making the show circuit and that car even has me wishing I could trade mine in on the new one as similar looking as they are (down to the Carrara white interior bits, minus the humps). That car is just beautiful and IMO will be a collectible (like numerous other low volume issues that depreciated like most and have since become very desirable models).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts