Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

New Steering Wheel For 987?

32K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  sgt1577 
#1 ·
Hi All.

Would anyone here know if the wheel pictured below will fit a Porsche Boxster 987 2006 and if the Air Bag will plug in direct and work?

If not any info up to what year Steering wheels will work on a 987 would be appreciated. Not interested in the electronics function side much..more what bolts on fine and the airbag will work.

Its from a Porsche Boxster Spyder 981 2016 Manual Alcantara Steering Wheel GT3 GT4 J119

See less See more
#3 ·
When I was searching on this topic, I found tons and tons of stuff on Google from a variety of forums. I recall someone putting a 2011 Macan wheel on a 987.1 with direct plug and play. That doesn't mean the boxster would be, but...

Anyways I'm not being helpful. I too am looking for a new wheel. They're ungodly expensive with airbags aren't they? One cool alternative is the custom flat bottom wheels that use your existing airbag. Those also run like $700 on ebay though.

#4 · (Edited)
So a update I have received from the seller who only deals in Porsche Parts as a business is that the wheel will fit a 987.1 fine but there might?be a problem with the airbag?
Does anyone here know the detail enough around 2016 retrofit for the airbag on a 987.1?
Is it a problem and if so is it around connectivity,Coding or it will work fine?

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information.
So I have opened up the rabbit hole and have started learning about clock springs on the steering column and which provide the electric connectivity to the wheel including Horn and Airbag.
Looking between the 981 and 987.1 clock spring they are a different design..so I need to figure out if you can retrofit a 981 clock onto a 987 column or is there another way which I have no idea about?

987 Clock

981 Clock

#11 ·
RachJ987s, I believe that to be the case. On the 987 wheels the PDK paddles just snap on to the manual wheel (and can be taken off). Note that there are triangular and round airbag models. You can swap between the two, but obviously you need the correct air bag shape for the wheel you are installing. I recently changed my 2009 base wheel with a triangular bag to a 986 sport wheel with a round bag. No problems what so ever.

#16 · (Edited)
Update...so after much research I have a 2017 MF Wheel(got it cheap) and believe it will work on a 987.1 with a couple of things done.

PDK shifters will come off as I have a manual and I have a rear cowling (manual)coming from Suncoast to cover the holes.

Also needed a pre 2017 steering wheel loom as the plug was incompatible with the 987 as Porsche changed it from 2017 onwards for most wheels.

A couple of program switch modes on PWIS on the install and should be good.

Discovered that fundamentally any pre 2016 wheel will be plug and play with only multi function needing to be selected in PWIS for some cars to get the horn to work.

The below is getting fitted in a couple of weeks so i will update how we go for any interested.

BTW..I could get the all the multi function to work but that would require a 987.2 clock spring and a adapter from German Performance Service but I would never use them anyway so horn and airbag working and new look and function is fine for me.

#17 · (Edited)

Well got this 370mm fitted today and it was so easy
This is from a 2017/18 Panamera Donor Car
When I purchased it it had the newer style full yellow loom plug which is not compatible with pre 2016 Porsche's orange/yellow plug. I simply bought a pre 2016 loom (part no ends in 35b) and installed that in the wheel.
Installation was a breeze no software changes were required as expected such as MF wheel selection etc.It was a plug and play and the horn,airbag worked perfect straight up.
No Pasm light or any other errors....nothing!
Multi functions do not work as expected(but can if I buy a adapter from GPS if I want it to).
PDK taps can stay for now as they don,t bother at the moment and I wanted to check the 2017 wheel would work first before buying a manual cowl for the wheel etc.
Visually and driving wise it has lifted the driving experience and made the car feel 10 years younger from the drivers seat looking forward(exaggeration;))
Wheel feels smaller than the original triangle wheel.
BTW..my 2006 Porsche is a UK sold vehicle brought into this country by its first owner..so I am not sure if that is why it was such a simpler install that everything worked immediately.

Attachments

#26 ·
Looks fantastic and I'm thinking of doing the same. Does anyone know if the airbag from a 987.2 (round) fits that same wheel you show?

#22 ·
Nothing. Got it with 78k miles, on eBay, for $12,700, from a guy moving to Europe for a few months. Had a clean PPI at my favorite shop and laughed all the way home on what a steal I got. It's an 05 boxster s with the beautiful sport seats, Bose, tuning fork wheels, and it even came with newer tires, short shifter, and borla exhaust. It's the deal of a century. I've had it for 2 years and it's been a dream.

#31 ·
I picked up the wheel and air bag back in 2011 or 2012. It’s just the basic steering wheel from that time. No multi function buttons or shift paddles. I’d have to pull it off to get a part #

If you decide to do this be careful with the air bag. There are counterfeits being sold!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.