Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im at 6000 miles and my tires are starting to look a little worn and Im looking for new tires. One thing I need to consider is that this is my every day car so I need a set of tires that I can use reasonably in the midwestwinters.

Im looking at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. But, they dont come in the same size as the stock tires.

My question is that am I fine going from a 235 on the front to a 245 and from 265 to 275 on the rears? Both are a 35 aspect ratio on a set of 19' wheels. They are only about 1% off original size, so Im not worried about the PASM. But, is such a small width difference going to be a problem, specifically up front?

I think Im probably fine, but wanted to check to see if Im missing something.

Thanks, Jason.

Edited by - Cayman Jason on 08/21/2006 7:11:38 PM

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One last question, has anyone used or have any experience with the Bridgestone Pole Position AS tires? They come in the same sizes as the Michelins, but are much less price wise.

·
Registered
635 Posts
CJ: Are you 'beating up' your tires that you've only gotten 6,000 miles and they are done? This seems to me like an awfullly short time for a set of tires. In previous threads on this topic, people have indicated that tires used only in normal/everyday driving should last 15-20,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Have you been tracking or autocrossing your car? Your stock tires should last much longer than 6000 miles. I'd get them checked at a tire shop.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I still cannot get over how fast these tires wear down/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/sad_smile.gifit wouldn't be so bad if there were cheap!

Russ

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent been autocrossing or anything like that. I really dont drive all that hard now. But I think when I first got the car, I took a lot of corners at higher speeds because of the sheer fun of it. Then I found out how much the tires cost and have eased up on them a little. My tires arent completely baked, but I anticipate needing them before the weather here turns cold and potentially a little snowy. I would be surprised if I make it to 10,000 miles on them.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Jason,

Something is wrong, my tires have over 10,000 miles on them now including an autocross and some 'agressive' driving and they look like they could go 20,000 miles. Have you had your alignment checked? Bring your car by and we can compare tires, happy to help out if I can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's my understanding that all the Caymans come with High-performance summer tires. Regardless of tread wear or milage, you don't want to be driving on them when the temp drops below ~40, nevermind if there's any possibility of ice and/or snow.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I drove mine all winter in well below 40 and snow and ice. There is PSM on these cars ;-)

I'm at 15000 miles and just having the rears changed for the first time. That includes a track day and an advanced Porsche driving day. Plus my usual driving.

Think I need to add more negative camber though, as the outsides are much more worn than the insides.

Jack

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ken, appreciate it. Ive never had tires that are as high of performance as these so I may be a little premature in my search. The tires are wearing evenly, so I think everything is fine. Regardless, Im going to need new tires for every day driving this winter and I just want to make sure that going up 10 on the width isnt going to be an issue.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not sure how much snow and ice you get, but for us in the most of Canada, we have a fair bit - the standard recommendation is to go with narrower tires for winter driving. My car will be put away for the winter so I have not had a chance to look into this issue - good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Euroboy: Man, I don't know how you can stand not driving your CS for the whole winter!?/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/sad_smile.gif

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I count my blessings everyday for finding a way to make a living in Hawaii!/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/shades_smile.gif Although I don't get to drive as much or as far as I would like to, you won't hear me complaining about nuttin!

Aloha Russ

·
Registered
2 Posts
One last question, has anyone used or have any experience with the Bridgestone Pole Position AS tires? They come in the same sizes as the Michelins, but are much less price wise.

What are Pole Position AS tires? Are these the same thing as the Pole Position S-03s (summer tires)?

If so, then, I'm a HUGE FAN. I'm a convert of the S-03 Pole Position tires... they have a very aggressive tread pattern, and excellent grip, great in rain and are awesome on dry pavement. They are also EXTREMELY quiet and have an excellent ride quality as compared to other summer tires that I've used. Note of caution - they are not at all meant for winter weather. I am using a set of S-03s now as summer tires on my Audi and I switch out my wheels to a stock set wrapped in all season P7000s

- gutshot

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
RussK,

I live in Cleveland, Ohio and I am very envious of you living in Hawaii! When the snow starts flying, I don't want to be reading any weather reports from you! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drive.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts