Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to us is a 2007 Cayman S with pretty low miles.

The question is this:

Has anyone had a slight rattle noise in the headliner at the back of the liner/roof area where the lift meets? When I apply slight bit of pressure (while driving and hearing it)...it stops. It also comes and goes with no real rhyme or reason as to when and or why.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
I've never heard a rattle in the headliner. My 987 did have the infamous "trunk clunk". (The rear hatch "clunks" at times.) You might be hearing that.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I seem to recall one or two complaints, it's been a very long time, and if I am recalling correctly, there was a clip or two that hold the headliner that had let go. In fact one complaint was from an old friend of mine and his rattle was just above the driver's door and drove him to distraction. Only way to be sure is to remove and look. Good luck.:cheers:

Oh and if you want to contact him directly his handle is Saucerman and I'm sure he's still on here every once in a while.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There are several other threads on Cayman rattling. I had a slight rattle on occasion. Step 1 is to remove the privacy screen and see if that is it. It was in my case. I think one of the threads mentions adding something to tighten it up to keep it from rattling, but since I now know what it is, it doesn't bother me much any more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had all kinds of rattles and buzzes in and around the rear hatch. Not the headliner though. All the plastic trim and the center brake light were buzzing and rattling when I bought the car. The PO even told me it had drove him nuts trying to figure it out. I just bought a roll of felt tape and stuffed a few small pieces of it around the trim and the brake light and all the rattles stopped. Took 5 minutes and 15 bucks to fix. Good luck with yours.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
small strips of flexible insulation foam may be useful near joints and clips of interior trim.
it'd be handy to have a few spare clips on hand (there are about 4-5 types used).

be very careful when working on/near headliner - touching it tends to make it droop.
you'll then need to take all the trim out for work to be done. The plus side is you can do a complete rattle hunt if that happens.

good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.