Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 Cayman S that I track frequently (8+ times per year hopefully), and I have the recaro GT3 seats with the OEM 3 point belts. I guess my main question is are the Schroth harnesses the only way to go for these seats? There are several harnesses for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the Schroths that look good, particularly the Sparco's. I've also considered getting just one harness to start with, since I don't run in Novice so I don't have an instructor assigned anyway. Thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends if you want 2" or will do 3" lap belts. I have the same seats and I use Crow seat belts.Crow is ex-Simpsom guys and build a quality product.2 sets 6pt cam locks were less than the cost of 1 Schroth and got them in 2 days - great customer service.If you want 2" lap belts Schroth is probably only choice.:banana:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, that's what I was wondering. How do the lap belts mount? I know the Schroth GT3 set has unique mounting hardware.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have Simpson harnesses with Recaro seats in my SC and like them. On the new Cayamn with the factory sport bucket seats I'm again using Simpson harrness with 2.5 inch lap belts and 3 inch shoulder belts. The anti sub belt is 2.5 also. I'm using there quick release rotery cam latch on the belts in both cars. Simpson has a great staff and they are enjoyable to work with. The fact that their National Headquarters is only 15 miles from my house makes it even easier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I like Simpson stuff, it's quality. I was just concerned mainly with the mounting hardware for the lap belts and the sub belt bar(I have the factory Porsche sub belt bar in).

As I'm sure you guys know, there is very little room in there. I don't know if the seat will even fit in the eye bolts attached.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Contact Crow - they will change the mounting type attachments for you. I mounted the camlocks inboard and am able to store both in the center console so they are out of the way for street driving.I had the leg straps changed from wrap to eyebolt flanges and attached them using the front seat bolts.I have the DMC harness bar for shoulder straps.Talk to Crow - they are very helpful.:beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Contact Crow - they will change the mounting type attachments for you. I mounted the camlocks inboard and am able to store both in the center console so they are out of the way for street driving.I had the leg straps changed from wrap to eyebolt flanges and attached them using the front seat bolts.I have the DMC harness bar for shoulder straps.Talk to Crow - they are very helpful.:beer:
Thanks for the info, I'll contact them. To the previous poster, I do not have a bar yet.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Brey-Krause truss harness bar, Cobra Imola S seats and Crow 6 point harness. The Crows were recommended by my tuning shop, Hergesheimer. They spoke very highly of the product and they are a real value.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm putting a TC design harness bar on mine not a roll bar although I have seen some nice roll bar installations in Caymans. I was going to put the camlock side of the seat belts on the outside but I like the idea of them on the inside. I also have the Brey Krause sub belt bracket with thew fire bottle attachment. If I did not mention I have the factory sport bucket seats which are designed for harnesses.

As I said earlier Simpson is a great company and they will work with you. Call and ask for Pam Diggs. My helmets are also Simpson and one of the reasons is they custom fit them to my head while I waited. Great people

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Porschefile,

Are you using a HANS device? If so, the 2" shoulders work best (I have both). Also, the 2" lap belts seem to tighten more comfortably than the 3" lap belts. Go with pull up, rather than pull down as they are easier to get tight when using the GT3 seats.

Also, the Schroth hybrid 6 point is very comfortable as it eliminates the t-bar that can dig into crotch of some folks.

The Schroth GT3 belts are the easiest, and possibly best, way to go, but check with your club as some do not allow the belt to be mounted to the seat. A good race shop can set you up with proper belt attachments that allow you to use the typical belt hooks.

You will also need to mount the sub straps. The GT3 seats allow for the installation of a factory sub-bar that bolts directly to the sliders. I may have a couple of used OEM sub-bars for sale if you need them.

Finally, just go with the Schroth. While there are certainly other quality belts none of them seem to work as well as the Schroth.

Whatever you choose do not go cheap. People seem to forget that the belts are not just holding you in the seat, but are a critical part of the safety system as they need to stretch at a proper rate to allow the energy to dissipate slowly.

Cheers,

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brey-Krause truss harness bar, Cobra Imola S seats and Crow 6 point harness. The Crows were recommended by my tuning shop, Hergesheimer. They spoke very highly of the product and they are a real value.
Looking at the Crow web site, I see three different styles of 6 pt harnesses; formula, corvette, and nascar. Which style are you using?

thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't currently have a hans device but I plan on getting one in the near future. I already have the sub strap bars under the seats. I'm planning on ordering the Crow harnesses, I'll contact them and hopefully they'll know what attachments I need to put them in a recaro GT3 seat.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Looking at the Crow web site, I see three different styles of 6 pt harnesses; formula, corvette, and nascar. Which style are you using?

thanks,
Dave
Hergesheimer recommended and made the purchase for me but I'm reasonably sure it's the Corvette. It's a rotary kam lock type.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts