Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a very built Nissan GT-R, and I wanted something nimble, light, and cheaper to track and the Cayman fit the bill perfectly. I didn't really care about resale value as I intend to track this car very heavily and will kill resale anyway, so I didn't feel the GTS was worth the premium, and I am in love with the PDK so a GT4 was out of the question. Don't get me started on the turbo 4, so 981 CS it is! Found a basalt black one with 44k miles for 43k, specc'd as follows:

PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono, PTV, PDLS, navi/bose, SportDesign wheel, 14 ways, 20" carrera wheels.

PSE is not important as i'm going to straight pipe it.

Anyway, from discussion with people who track their caymans regularly, I was told that the third radiator is absolutely crucial. As such, a GTS or GT4 bumper would be needed. After looking around, it seemed the GTS bumpers are much more expensive than the Bayson R GT4 conversion kit, so I figured i'll just go with that due to it having some solid reviews. I also intend to complete the aero conversion to go with it, so a ducktail and GT4 style wing are en route as well. It seems very, very difficult to find a GT4 hatch, so the body shop doing the GT4 conversion also has the rear hatch disassembled in order to weld in custom supports to make the GT4 wing functional vs just annoyingly rattle the thin sheet metal.

I was wildly impressed with how well everything was packaged with the GT4 bumper, and every part feels incredibly high quality. The lights feel heavy and appear solid, and the moulding seems very precise and free of the "frayed" edges in detailed areas and holes that you usually see in cheap moulding. If anyone has any questions about the kit or wants any pictures of anything before it's painted and installed, let me know as i'm painting and mounting it this week.

Anyway, i'm a fabricator at heart and definitely enjoy doing all of my own wrenching, so i'll chronicle my build in this thread. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First things first, clear corners and GT4 bumper test fit are complete. This was actually a pretty solid kit. A bit of a pain in the neck due to no instructions coming with it, but for $1500, it's beyond anything I could have hoped for. I documented the install process pretty heavily so if anyone is interested I may put up a tutorial. I'm a bit hesitant though as since there are no instructions, i have no idea if i did it right. I've fitted multiple body kits and things in my younger years though, so i'm pretty sure it's on there solidly and correctly, but can't be positive as there are extra parts left and again there were zero instructions.

Now to order the third radiator kit. Hatch is getting ripped apart tomorrow to weld in some proper reinforcements for the GT4 wing so it's actually functional, and the side scoops go in for paint. Anyone happen to know where I can get a duckbill spoiler for a reasonable price? TWL and the other marketplaces are all incredibly overpriced.

Ah, quick question for you track folks, besides the brake caliper studs and GT3 LCAs, what else should I be ordering for next month's track day?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bumper looks good. For the track, certainly consider upgrading tires and brakes. I assume if you are getting the caliper studs, you're planning to change pads, at least. I wouldn't bother to install the studs until you're changing pads.

The other item I like is adding the 718 rear reinforcement strut - it is a bolt on stiffener which bolts onto the stock swaybar mounts and the belly pan that's under the gearbox. I can feel the difference in the rear of the car under hard throttle, over bumps - it's much better tied together. You can get the kit from Suncoast, or see my post here with part numbers, and info: Question regarding 781 rear brace install This is a pretty easy DIY, and parts are not that expensive.

Since you are doing LCA's, you'll need a track-focused alignment - lots of posts here on that. I like to do the reinforcement strut before aligning the car, so now would be a good time.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts