Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2007 Cayman S over the weekend. I've previously owned a Corvette, and 335i. So far it is my favorite car. I am planning to do the Capristo exhaust, and possibly Softronic software. I am considering looking at a new head unit, but with the Bose system that can be tricky. Recently stumbled on a thread on here saying they did it without the fiberlink interface.

The only questions I have so far are: the temp control knob/button on the HVAC has some nicks that expose white/light. I have seen other cars with this, usually someone has found a good repair item (paint or some sort). Any recommendations? The other question is, if you have the Softronic software, and you have a problem with the car (motor/accident), wouldn't that create an issue for taking it in to be fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Welcome.Cannot help you with your questions,but i know that someone here will have the answer.Have you tried a search? See if some info comes up that way.....

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site. Congrats on the new car.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I have searched for both (and a few other questions, which I will spare for now).
When I had a similar nick my dealer replaced my whole hvac face unit under warranty, the paint is sort of a rubberized paint so you might have a hard time matching it, my recommendation would be to contact Eric at BumperPlugs.com and tell him I sent you and see if he can find a match for you to touch it up with.

If you read about the Softronic software in detail you'll see that it can be set back to factory stock at any time, so if you are concerned about someone raising a fuss over having a flash, you could always revert it before taking it in to whatever shop, etc.

Always a good idea to form a good relationship with your local Porsche dealer's service department. Some are mod friendly, some aren't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Always a good idea to form a good relationship with your local Porsche dealer's service department. Some are mod friendly, some aren't.
Good point K-man S, best to ask ahead of time to be sure you have a mod friendly dealership.

Congrats on the new car.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Almost every Cayman I have come across has peeling of the AC controls, and it is something I rant at Porsche everytime I see them but am yet to get them to replace it under goodwill. Actually I got a letter at the dealer telling me why it wasn't covered and still need to retrieve it and post the content up here.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Mine was changed in goodwill. Porsches and Audis suffer from the same deffect. Some people say the rubberized paint makes it feel classier than just plain plastic. They are right, but it does not last. I think I would have choosen durable plastic, over peeling rubberized buttons.:2cents:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congratulations on your CS--your are going to love it more in the months to come.
With regards to the rubberised paint, M-B also used/uses that stuff and it comes off in nearly every case. However, Benz would replace the part under warranty. I don't know what the German's infatuation with this stuff is but someone over there needs to find something new.
BW

·
Registered
173 Posts
Congratulations on the new car. My previous car was a 2007 335i coupe running a JB3 map 5 with a DCI. If you know about 335i tunes, you probably know about BMW dealer's feelings toward the JB3 or Procede! Was your 335i stock?

I would hope you would be fine with the aftermarket exhaust on the Cayman though.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
335i was stock. I didn't own it that long. I honestly really couldn't stand BMW dealerships service. I had a lot of issues with the iDrive, to the point that i could not shut off the electronics on the car (key out/engine switch off). It became a big mess.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and info on the hvac rubberized paint issue. I am currently stationed at NAS Meridian, Mississippi, I can go to either the dealership in Jackson, MS or the one in Birmingham, AL. I hear the latter is much nicer/overall better, than the former. I doubt anyone on this site uses either though.

As for Softronic, of course I stumbled across the winter special hoping that was still going (winter being Jan-Mar and all), but it ended in December so I will hold out for the next special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts