Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! This weekend marks me finally achieving a dream of owning a Porsche! My E36 M3 was totalled and now here I am.

Coming from an inline six, the Cayman makes plenty of new noises to me. I was wondering if it was normal to hear a kind of faint tapping/rattle at low RPM? I've read to cruise around 2500-3000 RPM, and I find that sometimes if I have very light throttle (just enough to maintain speed on flat ground) that I hear a kind of tapping/rattle that drowns out by 3K+ RPM. I don't mind the noise at all, but just want to make sure I shouldn't be worried! My PPI came in fine so I'm thinking it's just normal noise but want to hear from you all.

I can kind of make the noise go away by applying or removing the throttle from that point, and I don't really hear it if I'm in neutral and rev to those RPMs. I'm thinking this has something to do with having some load on the car and it moving? Someone help me sleep at night!

Oh, and obligatory new car pic! Ayooo Midnight Blue Metallic club!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome. Here's my midnight blue. Awesome color. I would check the exhaust gaskets. I too had a 95 E36 M3 and a E46 M3, you are absolutely right the Cayman is very mechanical and with it humming right behind the seat you get to hear some great noises.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Could be injectors (which is normal). Since the car is new to you, fill the tank with fresh gas >= 91 octane. Add some fuel injection cleaner.
Don't lug it. I never run under 2000RPM unless I 'm coasting downhill or toward a stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be injectors (which is normal). Since the car is new to you, fill the tank with fresh gas >= 91 octane. Add some fuel injection cleaner.
Don't lug it. I never run under 2000RPM unless I 'm coasting downhill or toward a stop.
Oh okay, I'll give it a try! The PPI people didn't mention the noise so I'm not extremely concerned yet unless the noise changes. It almost sounds like a woodpecker at the lower RPM and slowly becomes a nice mechanical purr like sound.

In the case of never running under 2k RPM, is it okay to be below 2k in like second gear if I'm not heavy on the throttle? I find it better to maneuver around neighborhoods at ~1800 RPM in second compared to 3k in first. I only go very slight on the throttle when turning a corner at slow speeds.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are you getting any smoke in your exhaust pipes. Rub your fingers around inside to determine if there is any oil residue. Also keep a close watch on your oil consumption as Jake Raby suggests in his bore scoring video's. See if any of the points Jake make line up to your tapping noise, like piston rocking noise. If you fear that suggestion has some merit, change your oil and cut open your oil filter to see if you have any piston coating material in the filter. No material then most likely not bore scoring, rather something else like a clutch plate. Push the clutch in when the tapping is apparent to see if the noise stops. Could be something like a throwout bearing. I had this noise when idling and most likely moving, but the other engine noise drowned out the slight noise. Had my clutch disk, throwout bearing and pressure plate changed, now no noise at idle.

I do a lot of burnouts getting going in autocross (4000 rpm, dump the clutch), so a healthy clutch, motor and transmission mounts are important to me. I also had a Wavetrac LSD installed as the transaxle was out of the car to get black Hoosier A7 rubber streaks on both sides.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you getting any smoke in your exhaust pipes. Rub your fingers around inside to determine if there is any oil residue. Also keep a close watch on your oil consumption as Jake Raby suggests in his bore scoring video's. See if any of the points Jake make line up to your tapping noise, like piston rocking noise. If you fear that suggestion has some merit, change your oil and cut open your oil filter to see if you have any piston coating material in the filter. No material then most likely not bore scoring, rather something else like a clutch plate. Push the clutch in when the tapping is apparent to see if the noise stops. Could be something like a throwout bearing. I had this noise when idling and most likely moving, but the other engine noise drowned out the slight noise. Had my clutch disk, throwout bearing and pressure plate changed, now no noise at idle.
I have had some smoke on cold start because of the AOS but I replaced it on Sunday. On Monday and Tues morning I had a bit of smoke but it looked better. I'm assuming that's because there's still some oil in the passages that need to burn off. I had the bore scoped during the PPI and they didn't mention any scoring then, so I can't imagine I've done enough damage in the 500 miles I've owned it to cause this tapping noise.

Is there a video of what bore scoring tapping sounds like? It's hard to tell when looking around random videos cause you don't know if someone is asking for diagnosis or if it really is that noise. It definitely isn't as loud as this. Ticking video

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is a link that may help:

Not to change the subject too much, but how’d you go about getting the scope done during the PPI? Was the car at a dealer or private party?
What did the shop charge for that level PPI? Did they also look up thru the oil pan (or just down thru spark plug hole)?
I’m in the marked for a 987 and these things have been on my mind... TIA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a link that may help:

Not to change the subject too much, but how’d you go about getting the scope done during the PPI? Was the car at a dealer or private party?
What did the shop charge for that level PPI? Did they also look up thru the oil pan (or just down thru spark plug hole)?
I’m in the marked for a 987 and these things have been on my mind... TIA.
Oh thanks! I'm at work right now but does that video have a soundclip of what the engine will sound like?

My car was at a used car dealer in Nevada and I am actually in SoCal. Had to convince the used car dealer to bring it to a PPI shop that I found recommended. They charged $260 for the PPI with a scope on cylinder 6 as they've always seen it start at that cylinder. I've driven 500+ miles since I've gotten it without any change in oil level so I'm hoping this is okay on my end. I also got the 2.7L Base which is less of a concern for Bore Scoring but still had it done.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Try to isolate the tapping noise. Open up the inspection plate behind the passenger/drivers seats to reveal the front of the engine. Then start the car and see if you notice any noise coming from the front of the engine, water pump or other ball bearings that would tick. Then open the engine cover to expose the top of the motor as you did to change the AOS. Start your car and listen. Have someone press on the throttle when you are listening and press on the clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take a video of the noise. I had one that made a tapping noise when it was cold intermittently for about 3 min but would go away over 3k rpm. It was diagnosed as coming from the IMS bearing which is not what I wanted to hear

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a video of the noise. I had one that made a tapping noise when it was cold intermittently for about 3 min but would go away over 3k rpm. It was diagnosed as coming from the IMS bearing which is not what I wanted to hear
Here is a video of the noise that I captured on my lunch break. Cayman Engine Noise? Concern?

You can particularly hear it at 10 sec and near the end of the video. The engine whirring is definitely louder so its very faint. I'm hoping this is just normal engine noises and I'm just not used to what a Flat-Six sounds like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try to isolate the tapping noise. Open up the inspection plate behind the passenger/drivers seats to reveal the front of the engine. Then start the car and see if you notice any noise coming from the front of the engine, water pump or other ball bearings that would tick. Then open the engine cover to expose the top of the motor as you did to change the AOS. Start your car and listen. Have someone press on the throttle when you are listening and press on the clutch.
@Apex1 , how does this video sound to you? Particularly around the 10 sec mark and close to the very end of the video. Cayman Engine Noise? Concern?

Just bumping the topic because everyone left after I posted the video :(

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Just bumping the topic because everyone left after I posted the video :(
I left because I don't hear anything unusual. These are noisy engines and the cars have little insulation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I gave it a listen, and without headphones at least it sounds fine. I can't even hear any ticking or tapping. To be fair, I'm new to the P-car thing but I don't hear any obvious problems with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, thanks guys! Sorry I was bugging you all haha. I can definitely hear something at 10 sec and end of the video but it is a lot quieter than the whirring. If its nothing to alarm you all then I'll keep on driving! It's definitely different than the smooth hum of an inline six I'm used to, but definitely not complaining. I love the mechanical noises, just needed to know if I needed to be alarmed or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my new-to-me 987 base makes a quiet, higher-pitched tick at idle. It increases with speed as the RPMs rise until about the same 2.5-3k range you've mentioned. I can hear it best out of the air inlet on the passenger side - that and the ptich/clarity of the sound makes me thing it's either valvetrain or something attached to the motor on the outside. Nothing seems amiss, car runs just great bar a slightly variable idle when cold (which I also think is considered "normal", from what I've read). Mine hasn't moved the oil readout at all in 1200 miles of reasonably spirited daily driving, no smoke, no other weird sounds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
FWIW, I didn't hear anything that sounded concerning. Heck, your engine sounds significantly better than my '19 Audi TTRS.

Can you hear it when you watch the video? There is a good chance that your phone is simply not picking up the noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tooshayx- Yes, I heard the noise and I would be concerned. Sounds like a piston, but I am trying to read this on the net. Please get a second opinion from someone you trust in your location that works on Porsches. The problem may get worse. You need to rule out a piston. If it's something else, great. Not sure about an IMS bearing as your car has a big bearing that usually does not fail. Pistons can fail and # 6 rod bearing can fail due to oil starvation if tracked. Your car does not look like that happened. The AOS should have cleared by now. I completely coated mine a couple of times before changing to a Porsche Motorsports 987 AOS. Never had that happen again. My system cleared out on the drive home. No smoke the next day. If you are concerned, buy an oil filter and change the filter. Cut it open and find out if you have any piston coating in your filter.

Sorry about the delay in my message.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FWIW, I didn't hear anything that sounded concerning. Heck, your engine sounds significantly better than my '19 Audi TTRS.

Can you hear it when you watch the video? There is a good chance that your phone is simply not picking up the noise you are hearing.
I definitely hear it in video. It almost sounds like a woodpecker. From most of you all it doesn't seem like it sounds like a big deal, but I guess recorded audio isn't the best solution.

Tooshayx- Yes, I heard the noise and I would be concerned. Sounds like a piston, but I am trying to read this on the net. Please get a second opinion from someone you trust in your location that works on Porsches. The problem may get worse. You need to rule out a piston. If it's something else, great. Not sure about an IMS bearing as your car has a big bearing that usually does not fail. Pistons can fail and # 6 rod bearing can fail due to oil starvation if tracked. Your car does not look like that happened. The AOS should have cleared by now. I completely coated mine a couple of times before changing to a Porsche Motorsports 987 AOS. Never had that happen again. My system cleared out on the drive home. No smoke the next day.

Sorry about the delay in my message.
That's concerning. Today I didn't see any more smoke out of the rear on startup but I thought bore scoring was of little concern on the 2.7L? Maybe I'll stop by a shop and get a live second opinion.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Good, we are an opinion site, with no actual responsibility. I agree that the 2.7L has very few reported bore scores, so that tapping could be something else. But even if its an injector, that injector could be spraying in an incorrect pattern, or worse, not closing properly. On shut down, the fuel in the fuel block will run into the that cylinder if the valve is open. So, boots on the ground so to speak is good if the technician knows his way around Porsches.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts