Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just grabbed a 12k mile 2016 Cayman S last week, CPO w/ 2.5 years left on original/CPO warranty. As this is our first Porsche, not sure what all is considered 'normal' and what should be put in the "Hey, check this out under CPO" category.

1. Under very slow speed, when brakes are cold (i.e. pulling outta garage in the morning) lightly depressing/releasing brake pedal elicits a groan from the front brakes (I believe). Diminishes 95% after I get under way. Have heard with other cars over the years, but this seems more pronounced.

2. PDK seems a bit 'sluggish' from a stop under very light throttle. Seems like it takes a second to decide "OK, time to move"...again, most noticeable under initial startup and backing outta garage or moving away from a stop sign very slowly. Stomp on it and no hesitation but low speed maneuvers a bit 'delayed' at times.

3. Seems a bit rough for 1st 30 seconds of startup, until it settles down from initial higher idle to normal idle. Not stupid, crazy "has a big came in it" rough, just slight fluctuation in tach until warmed up.

I had whined about the tires a bit at purchase and while they met CPO specs for wear, got a surprise call from the dealer yesterday to schedule appt to get new set of tires under CPO warranty, so that's a plus.

These are all things I'll address w/ dealer soon, just wanted to get and idea of what may be considered 'normal' and what is an unkind exception. Also have an independent inspection being done by very reputable local shop (Steinel's Autowerks) in 2 weeks to get their take.

As for other things I need to get used to:
1. Radio always coming on at startup unless I turn the whole infotainment system off
2. Same as #1 but w/ the Climate Control Fan always being on speed #1 when I start car
3. Key on left side of steering wheel since I'm in the habit of getting in cars with key (if equipped) on right side of steering wheel.

Love the car, usually I'd be back at the dealer in a heartbeat to address concerns but the thing is just so much fun, don't wanna give it up right now, at least until independent inspection is done.

Specs:
Prod Month: 2015-09-16
MSRP Price: $83,790.00
Exterior: Agate Grey Metallic
Interior: Standard Interior in Black

BASE Cayman S
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 20" Carrera Classic Wheels
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
541 Seat ventilation
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
640 Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
658 Power Steering Plus
840 SportDesign steering wheel
AG Standard Interior in Black
N0 Agate Grey Metallic
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P9B Premium Package (Sport Seats, 14-way)
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
X73 Sport Suspension
XYG Center console trim painted

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
1) Brakes on all the Porsches I've owned are noisier than other cars; I wouldn't be concerned.
2) Throttle can be a little "soft" in Normal mode; try Sport or Sport+, which have more aggressive throttle mapping.
3) My CS and my last 911 occasionally exhibited a slightly rough idle (fluctuating 150 RPM on first 30 seconds of cold start). Never did it consistently, though, and I put it down to changing temps/humidity and/or variations in fuel. When the O2 sensor failed on my CS, rough idle (curiously NOT at startup, but once the revs settled down) was prevalent for a few weeks before the failure.

The last 130,000 km I've driven have been in a 911 and a Cayman...whenever I'm in a car that needs a key inserted (such as a rental) I instinctively go to the left side of the steering wheel. My muscle memory is so good i can insert the key without even looking (good thing, as in our CS I can't see the ignition slot without cranking my head left and down due to of the way I have the steering wheel/seat set up).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Brakes on all the Porsches I've owned are noisier than other cars; I wouldn't be concerned.
2) Throttle can be a little "soft" in Normal mode; try Sport or Sport+, which have more aggressive throttle mapping.
3) My CS and my last 911 occasionally exhibited a slightly rough idle (fluctuating 150 RPM on first 30 seconds of cold start). Never did it consistently, though, and I put it down to changing temps/humidity and/or variations in fuel. When the O2 sensor failed on my CS, rough idle (curiously NOT at startup, but once the revs settled down) was prevalent for a few weeks before the failure.

The last 130,000 km I've driven have been in a 911 and a Cayman...whenever I'm in a car that needs a key inserted (such as a rental) I instinctively go to the left side of the steering wheel. My muscle memory is so good i can insert the key without even looking (good thing, as in our CS I can't see the ignition slot without cranking my head left and down due to of the way I have the steering wheel/seat set up).
Thanks for the input! Appears to be consistent with what I see/feel.

First Porsche, and probably not last, so kinda in the dark as to 'normal' peculiarities, noises and such.

Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My 2016 also hunts around a little when it is first started and has done so from new.

You will also find on different days at different temps and over different driving durations you will hear different lifter/valve sounds while idling.

I seriously think you could drive yourself crazy trying to interpret engine noises from these cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2016 also hunts around a little when it is first started and has done so from new.

You will also find on different days at different temps and over different driving durations you will hear different lifter/valve sounds while idling.

I seriously think you could drive yourself crazy trying to interpret engine noises from these cars.
:lol: Thanks for the additional info. I noticed the motor does have some mechanical sounds associated with it, especially at 5am on initial startup. Takes about 30 seconds to come down off of initial high idle and settle down and, overall, the motor seems to prefer life off of idle...creeping around slowly is not it's strength I guess. As long the some mechanical noise is 'normal' I will enjoy them as part of the overall symphony.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: #2 - PDK sluggish. I've had my '14 CS for a couple months now and have adapted, but this is something I noted too initially, although perhaps not PDK specifically but just response in general. With my previous car, I'd hardly go past 1/2 throttle in day-to-day driving and it didn't take much throttle change to get the tranny to kick down. But with the Cayman in Normal (not Sport) mode, you REALLY have to lean into the throttle if you want to go! It just loves to get into to 7th gear as fast as possible and stay there for as long as it can. That said, the fuel economy in Normal mode is great! :) In terms of what you seem to be describing, it's a trait of dual-clutch trannys in general - the clutch is disconnected when stopped, unlike a regular torque converter auto that's engaged, but "slipping" while stopped. When you give it a little throttle, it's deciding how much clutch engagement is required. And you'll probably notice that "creeping" forward with your foot off the gas feels a bit unusual compared to a regular automatic. You'll get used to it.

Like I said, I have adapted to how much throttle input might be required to "go", or better yet, a quick double tap on the "-" paddle is mighty rewarding when you need (okay, want!) to fly by someone. It'll go back to full auto after a few seconds.

As for initial startup - totally normal. I'm in underground parking so easy to hear - very...ummm...rattley? On cold start, the goal is to get the cats lit up as quickly as possibly, so in general, engines run as rich as possible for a short time. Mind you, on the 2011 135i I had, this is when the exhaust sounded best! Nice, deep even rumble!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just grabbed a 12k mile 2016 Cayman S last week, CPO w/ 2.5 years left on original/CPO warranty. As this is our first Porsche, not sure what all is considered 'normal' and what should be put in the "Hey, check this out under CPO" category.

1. Under very slow speed, when brakes are cold (i.e. pulling outta garage in the morning) lightly depressing/releasing brake pedal elicits a groan from the front brakes (I believe). Diminishes 95% after I get under way. Have heard with other cars over the years, but this seems more pronounced.

2. PDK seems a bit 'sluggish' from a stop under very light throttle. Seems like it takes a second to decide "OK, time to move"...again, most noticeable under initial startup and backing outta garage or moving away from a stop sign very slowly. Stomp on it and no hesitation but low speed maneuvers a bit 'delayed' at times.

3. Seems a bit rough for 1st 30 seconds of startup, until it settles down from initial higher idle to normal idle. Not stupid, crazy "has a big came in it" rough, just slight fluctuation in tach until warmed up.

I had whined about the tires a bit at purchase and while they met CPO specs for wear, got a surprise call from the dealer yesterday to schedule appt to get new set of tires under CPO warranty, so that's a plus.

These are all things I'll address w/ dealer soon, just wanted to get and idea of what may be considered 'normal' and what is an unkind exception. Also have an independent inspection being done by very reputable local shop (Steinel's Autowerks) in 2 weeks to get their take.

As for other things I need to get used to:
1. Radio always coming on at startup unless I turn the whole infotainment system off
2. Same as #1 but w/ the Climate Control Fan always being on speed #1 when I start car
3. Key on left side of steering wheel since I'm in the habit of getting in cars with key (if equipped) on right side of steering wheel.

Love the car, usually I'd be back at the dealer in a heartbeat to address concerns but the thing is just so much fun, don't wanna give it up right now, at least until independent inspection is done.

Specs:
Prod Month: 2015-09-16
MSRP Price: $83,790.00
Exterior: Agate Grey Metallic
Interior: Standard Interior in Black

BASE Cayman S
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 20" Carrera Classic Wheels
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
541 Seat ventilation
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
640 Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
658 Power Steering Plus
840 SportDesign steering wheel
AG Standard Interior in Black
N0 Agate Grey Metallic
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P9B Premium Package (Sport Seats, 14-way)
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
X73 Sport Suspension
XYG Center console trim painted
The rough and raucous idle at startup is normal. The ECU runs the car very rich for a little bit in order to heat the cats up quickly, and then it drops down to the normal mixture. The slip you are feeling in the PDK is also normal. The PDK is not a regular automatic. There is no torque converter and its essentially a manual without a clutch pedal, so what you are feeling is the slip as the clutches engage to move the car no differently than the slight delay and slip you would get if letting the clutch out from the stop on a manual tranny.

You will notice this much more in slow creeping situations such as in a parking garage or parking lot. The car will also feel like there is a fraction of a second delay when stomping the pedal to the floor quickly from a dead stop. This can be a little disconcerting if you are in a situation where you are need of pulling out into traffic very quickly as it feels like the car may actually be stalling out a bit before the RPM suddenly kick back up and things start moving a fraction of a second later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: #2 - PDK sluggish. I've had my '14 CS for a couple months now and have adapted, but this is something I noted too initially, although perhaps not PDK specifically but just response in general. With my previous car, I'd hardly go past 1/2 throttle in day-to-day driving and it didn't take much throttle change to get the tranny to kick down. But with the Cayman in Normal (not Sport) mode, you REALLY have to lean into the throttle if you want to go! It just loves to get into to 7th gear as fast as possible and stay there for as long as it can. That said, the fuel economy in Normal mode is great! :) In terms of what you seem to be describing, it's a trait of dual-clutch trannys in general - the clutch is disconnected when stopped, unlike a regular torque converter auto that's engaged, but "slipping" while stopped. When you give it a little throttle, it's deciding how much clutch engagement is required. And you'll probably notice that "creeping" forward with your foot off the gas feels a bit unusual compared to a regular automatic. You'll get used to it.

Like I said, I have adapted to how much throttle input might be required to "go", or better yet, a quick double tap on the "-" paddle is mighty rewarding when you need (okay, want!) to fly by someone. It'll go back to full auto after a few seconds.

As for initial startup - totally normal. I'm in underground parking so easy to hear - very...ummm...rattley? On cold start, the goal is to get the cats lit up as quickly as possibly, so in general, engines run as rich as possible for a short time. Mind you, on the 2011 135i I had, this is when the exhaust sounded best! Nice, deep even rumble!
The rough and raucous idle at startup is normal. The ECU runs the car very rich for a little bit in order to heat the cats up quickly, and then it drops down to the normal mixture. The slip you are feeling in the PDK is also normal. The PDK is not a regular automatic. There is no torque converter and its essentially a manual without a clutch pedal, so what you are feeling is the slip as the clutches engage to move the car no differently than the slight delay and slip you would get if letting the clutch out from the stop on a manual tranny.

You will notice this much more in slow creeping situations such as in a parking garage or parking lot. The car will also feel like there is a fraction of a second delay when stomping the pedal to the floor quickly from a dead stop. This can be a little disconcerting if you are in a situation where you are need of pulling out into traffic very quickly as it feels like the car may actually be stalling out a bit before the RPM suddenly kick back up and things start moving a fraction of a second later.
Thanks all, turns out my concerns were unfounded based on above info!

Still be fun to hear what Steinels says when they give it a once over in 2 weeks but not worried too much about it.

Brake groan when cold is a non-issue as well. Took it in Thursday for 4 new tires (Thanks CPO!) and SA indicated such is the case. While I had no reason to doubt them, was still comforting to see the porter re-arranging their stock of new 2019 718's, each of which made the same noise as he slowly moved them around.

Good to go now, polished and coated the paint last weekend, pulled wheels today to clean and coat then all that's left is to just drive it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Looks great! So I will go ahead and warn you of two more possible special noises that these cars can make that you may notice at some point. Firstly, the engine is not positioned like a normal car as you are well aware and the cylinders and moving parts are all in a flat position within inches of the floor. Take that and the fact that fuel injectors on these engines open and slap closed with tremendous force and you can get a very loud ticking or clackety sound from the back of the car, especially on a cold engine. I wish I had a Dollar for every "is this sound normal" post that gets made in the various Porsche forums! Its a noisy beast and will not be whisper quiet at idle when running like other cars, especially when in a garage or confined space that will amplify all of these sounds from the floor.

The other, since you are in Ohio will be from the tires themselves as the weather starts to get cold soon. Porsches suspensions are set up more for performance driving and not like a Camry, so that combined with the high performance Summer tires on them can lead to something called the Ackerman effect. This is a very noticeable clunking or tread skipping sound of the tires when trying to maneuver the car slowly in tight spaces requiring near lock wheel position when the ambient temp and the tires are cold. Most will notice this getting into or out of a garage space that requires a sharp turn of the wheel as you are slowly moving, and you will know it when you hear it. Its basically the difference between the inside and outside tire radius path being different, so the tires will push or skip a little on the pavement in these extreme turn positions, and some tires are more prone to this that others. This is another of those "Oh my God what is wrong!" post that comes up over and over again with new Porsche owners, especially in the Winter.

Have fun with the new car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! So I will go ahead and warn you of two more possible special noises that these cars can make that you may notice at some point. Firstly, the engine is not positioned like a normal car as you are well aware and the cylinders and moving parts are all in a flat position within inches of the floor. Take that and the fact that fuel injectors on these engines open and slap closed with tremendous force and you can get a very loud ticking or clackety sound from the back of the car, especially on a cold engine. I wish I had a Dollar for every "is this sound normal" post that gets made in the various Porsche forums! Its a noisy beast and will not be whisper quiet at idle when running like other cars, especially when in a garage or confined space that will amplify all of these sounds from the floor.

The other, since you are in Ohio will be from the tires themselves as the weather starts to get cold soon. Porsches suspensions are set up more for performance driving and not like a Camry, so that combined with the high performance Summer tires on them can lead to something called the Ackerman effect. This is a very noticeable clunking or tread skipping sound of the tires when trying to maneuver the car slowly in tight spaces requiring near lock wheel position when the ambient temp and the tires are cold. Most will notice this getting into or out of a garage space that requires a sharp turn of the wheel as you are slowly moving, and you will know it when you hear it. Its basically the difference between the inside and outside tire radius path being different, so the tires will push or skip a little on the pavement in these extreme turn positions, and some tires are more prone to this that others. This is another of those "Oh my God what is wrong!" post that comes up over and over again with new Porsche owners, especially in the Winter.

Have fun with the new car!
Yeah, I'm getting to accept the 'mechanical-ness' of this motor...no worries!

As for the Ackerman Effect, got up close and personal with that last March when we pulled our '19 Corvette outta the showroom on delivery day. Chilly and damp, cranked the wheel over pulling out, thought the front end was gonna fall off

Cayman actually far less than the Vette.

Thanks for all your help and info!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting to accept the 'mechanical-ness' of this motor...no worries!

As for the Ackerman Effect, got up close and personal with that last March when we pulled our '19 Corvette outta the showroom on delivery day. Chilly and damp, cranked the wheel over pulling out, thought the front end was gonna fall off

Cayman actually far less than the Vette.

Thanks for all your help and info!
Ah yes, if you have a Vette then you are already well aware of this!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good advice here. Regarding the "always on" infotainment at startup, just keep it in "Aux" mode all the time when you don't want to listen to anything.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The AC settings can also be stored in the memory or key settings if you happen to have the memory option, but I cannot recall for sure if it will allow the fan to be stored to off or not. It may be worth checking it out. I have heard of others using the Aux trick mentioned above and storing it that way as there is no way to stop the radio from coming back on at every start otherwise

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The AC settings can also be stored in the memory or key settings if you happen to have the memory option, but I cannot recall for sure if it will allow the fan to be stored to off or not. It may be worth checking it out. I have heard of others using the Aux trick mentioned above and storing it that way as there is no way to stop the radio from coming back on at every start otherwise
Will look into that, was not aware AC was 'storable'. We do have memory package, little more 'confused' than Vette memory which has pre-defined Key1 & Key2 fobs for settings.

Both wife and I drive this so most of the time Cayman gets 98% of personal settings correct but I think it gets confused a bit at times.

With the Vette, keyless entry/push button start, everything is written to defined fob but it goes kinda wonky when I'm driving with fob in my pocket and she's in passenger seat with her fob in purse.

Currently have Cayman set to store settings to fob when locking doors with fob button button.

Cars used to be much simpler

·
Registered
857 Posts
The HVAC system will remember that you turned AC off, but it will default to lowest fan setting if you turned the car off with the fan off, or whatever the last position was if not off.

Hmmm... in other words, it always turns the fan on, you can’t tell it not to. But it will remember the AC setting.

Oh, and you can turn the PCM completely off by pressing and holding down the volume knob for 3 seconds, and it wont come back on when you re-start the car. I don’t remember if this also works with the CDR head unit.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Will look into that, was not aware AC was 'storable'. We do have memory package, little more 'confused' than Vette memory which has pre-defined Key1 & Key2 fobs for settings.

Both wife and I drive this so most of the time Cayman gets 98% of personal settings correct but I think it gets confused a bit at times.

With the Vette, keyless entry/push button start, everything is written to defined fob but it goes kinda wonky when I'm driving with fob in my pocket and she's in passenger seat with her fob in purse.

Currently have Cayman set to store settings to fob when locking doors with fob button button.

Cars used to be much simpler
There is the option to store the memory settings on the buttons on the door or on a specific key itself like you describe on your Vette. Check out the manual or the online Porsche imanual for the details Porsche iManuals

You have to click on the 718 option and drill down to the year of your car even though its a 981 which doesnt make a lot of sense to me, but I prefer using the iManual

·
Vendor
6,488 Posts
>2. PDK seems a bit 'sluggish' from a stop under very light throttle.

Sport and Sport+ buttons will change the throttle pedal mapping, and it will also change PDK behavior. i.e. it will make the car behave how a sports car should. A lot of people drive in Sport ALL the time. It's a sports car, why keep it in "lame" mode :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice car, and welcome to the club budgetplan1!

The X73 Sport Suspension really lets you turn the Cayman like its on rails. Fun fun. Re: the PDK, every Cayman I have purchased seams sluggish until I run it up to speed full throttle and down to with full braking. No matter what mode you put it in, the PDK is trying to learn your driving style. Find a spot where you can get up to speed from 1st - 5th+, as fast as possible, and back down to 1st as fast as possible. It will learn quick, and feel like a different car. Oh, and you really can't hurt it as we track guys do that endlessly with no issues to report after many years. From my experience, the 9A1 engine is Porsche's most durable, and the PDK transmission is Porsche's most durable, and the Cayman platform is one of Porsches' best. Its really an incredibly good car overall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice car, and welcome to the club budgetplan1!

The X73 Sport Suspension really lets you turn the Cayman like its on rails. Fun fun. Re: the PDK, every Cayman I have purchased seams sluggish until I run it up to speed full throttle and down to with full braking. No matter what mode you put it in, the PDK is trying to learn your driving style. Find a spot where you can get up to speed from 1st - 5th+, as fast as possible, and back down to 1st as fast as possible. It will learn quick, and feel like a different car. Oh, and you really can't hurt it as we track guys do that endlessly with no issues to report after many years. From my experience, the 9A1 engine is Porsche's most durable, and the PDK transmission is Porsche's most durable, and the Cayman platform is one of Porsches' best. Its really an incredibly good car overall.
Thanks for the info, will keep it in mind and give it a go when opportunity permits. Car is great so far, may have been what I'm looking for. Been through a few Mustang GT's, a Subie WRX looking for a car that 'fit' me. Just grabbed a new 2019 Corvette for the wife last Spring, it feels somewhat ponderous to me and interior room, notably the passenger side, is a joke if you're over 5ft tall. Drivers side is comfortable enough, but still feel a bit packed in there at 6' 2". The most surprising thing about the 981 is how relatively roomy it is inside, plenty of leg/shoulder/head room for me on either side, driver or passenger....and yet is still remains a delightfully smallish car on the outside, smaller than wife's 2016 Civic winter car.

I loved my WRX and how 'tossable' it was but after 18 months couldn't live with the compromises in comfort and ride...things that we find surprisingly livable with in the 981...even with the X73 suspension. Could drive this thing on extended trips with no issue.

Once I got/get used to them, the various sounds and peculiarities of the 981 are beginning to manifest themselves as the joyfoul 'soul' of the car; modern but still some 'throwback' things that are just plain mentally comforting in some weird way....driving experience sanitized just enough to make it ergonomically a joy to drive. It's quite the package. After having some fun with the PDK, I really can't see me going back to a manual (heresy, I know) if that option is available. All the benefits and control of a stick (for the most part) without the work...nothing like clicking down a gear or two (or 3) going into a turn and then powering out of it...really fun stuff.

This thing is gonna be a winner methinks...although will be watching with interest to see what Porsche does with the 718 going forward; back to flat-6, perhaps? Already watching the 718 GT4 developments; perhaps they go PDK in future?

Kinda hoping wife grows terribly fond of the 981 and kinda cools on the Vette...maybe she'd do well in a 718 Boxster of some sort. One of the things she doesn't like about the Vette is that she is too small to safely remove the targa top and but likes the open air driving...Boxster would certainly solve that. Time will tell...

Would be fun to configure a new build, not having keyless entry is a bummer; keep walking up to car with key still in my pocket and waiting for it to unlock. :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I loved my WRX and how 'tossable' it was but after 18 months couldn't live with the compromises in comfort and ride...things that we find surprisingly livable with in the 981...even with the X73 suspension. Could drive this thing on extended trips with no issue.
I can attest to very comfortable drives to/from Watkins Glen International (about 220 miles one way) and Club Motorsports (Tamworth, NH, about 205 miles on mostly surface roads). And, the ability to fit enough kit in there for 2-3 day track events and two people's stuff. To top it off, I'll get 27-28 mpg on the way to/from the track (going 75+ on the freeway with the car packed to the gills and two people), then do 130+ mph on the track and experience the amazing engineering of the car as PSM saves my butt. ;) Really a phenomenal car...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts