Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking at buying a set of 17" Porsche stock rims with Dunlop SP winter sport m2 - Front 205 55 R17 and Rear 255 50 R17 for my 2007 Cayman.

Question is it worth the asking price of $1500?

Has anyone else tried these tires? I live in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Are you sure they are the WinterSport M2's? I think they are an older version that is no longer made. I have the Dunlop Wintersport M3's for my RWD Infiniti that I picked up 2 years ago and I've been happy with them. Keep in mind it's no SUV so don't try to go off roading on them!

Unless it's critical that you want to keep OEM wheels, I'd say use our sponsor Tirerack and pick a winter tire & wheel package out using some cheaper rims. They're going to get beaten up anyway, why go OEM unless you're getting a great price for them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point when I check out Tire Rack sponser I see that I can go either 17" which I have now or up it to 18"s along with a set of rims that will work they only offer one set of tires if go with a package. Do you recommend a diiferent type of tire? Also I do have the TPMS currently would I need to get the
added to the new snow tires or forgo it all together since I don't really care on the monitoring the pressure I can check that myself?

Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Without the TPMS sensor the car will generate a warning. On my G35, it's just a tire light and I can live with it.

On the Cayman I think it'll beep at you and show a message on the dash that you need to clear. The one time I had a low pressure condition after a track event, it continued to beep at me every few minutes with a warning even though I was just puttering around the paddock.

If this is the TPMS behavior on the Cayman, it would drive me insane and force me to get a 2nd set of TPMS sensors for the winter wheels. Maybe others with more knowledge can fill in the blanks on this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
You can bounce it off the Tire Rack guys but typically a taller, narrower tire does better in snow at the expense of dry pavement performance. This follows that 17" would be better than 18" to get the taller narrower tire and keep the diameters correct.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi

I am looking at buying a set of 17" Porsche stock rims with Dunlop SP winter sport m2 - Front 205 55 R17 and Rear 255 50 R17 for my 2007 Cayman.

Question is it worth the asking price of $1500?

Has anyone else tried these tires? I live in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks!
If you really want a snow tire for driving your Cayman in snow you need to get a narrower and taller (minus sizing) set-up. You can fit 215/55/17 and 235/60/17 WS60 Bizzacks on 17 inch Cup Sport replica rims from Tire Rack at a much better price. You will gain a inch of road clearance - which is vital in snow to avoid high centering. The set-up you are proposing gives you a much too wide rear tire and not enough ground clearance for effective snow driving.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Without TPMS, the dash readout will flash a warning. To get rid of it, you push the left lower stalk forward once. You will still have two warnings in the dash, an exclamation mark and the tire warning. I just ignore them.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I bought an 18" winter wheel and tire packager through Tirerack. They have worked well so far this winter. The tires they recommended were the MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA2 N2 (Porsche).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all your inputs I will check out Tire Rack and price out the 17" and 18" packages and see what they say.

THANK YOU!!!!:):)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
^Those look like some serious traction tires in bad weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts