Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
[pic=right]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/6/3/9/newyearnews_z.jpg[/pic]Looking Back to Move Forward! Greetings Planet-9 members, Porsche owners and enthusiasts and welcome to 2010! I hope that everyone here had a happy and joyous New Year and that you are looking forward to 2010.

2009 was a very busy and sometimes tumultuous year. We began the year as Planet Porsche having changed from CaymanClub.Net in order to represent that the site would be catering to all Porsche owners and enthusiasts even though our roots were firmly in the Cayman community. Not long after we made this change the folks in the administration of PCA decided that they wanted to go a different direction with the Cayman Register and I stepped down as the PCA advocate and recommended one of my moderators for the position. This was followed by Porsche, now under new ownership, taking a hardline stance with regard to domain names that have Porsche in them. While I am certain we would have prevailed had we fought over the domain name, even to win would have been to lose favor in the eyes of Porsche and that isn't something that I wanted for the site or its members and thus Planet-9 was born.

I realize that with all this change it is sometimes hard on you the reader to figure out what is going on or why and perhaps some of you don't even care as long as you can get your daily fix of Porsche information and exchange ideas with fellow members. This brings me to our new direction for 2010. While 2009 was primarly focused on getting the site set up for the long-term and appeasing PCA and Porsche, 2010 will be focused on our members. "How can this site better help our members with their Porsche related wants and needs?" In essence we are going back to our founding principals which we've never abandoned, but which we've had to put on the proverbial "back burner" at times during 2009. This refocusing effort isn't something that I or our moderator team can do alone, we need help from you the members of this site. Ok, so maybe you are sitting there now thinking "but Ken, how can I help?" It's easy really, but here are just a few suggestions for how you can help us make 2010 a very successful year:

1) Volunteer! Yes, we do need volunteers, whether it is to become a moderator and help with the day to day operations of the site or to become a columnist or reporter, photo journalist or even blogger for the site, we welcome all volunteers. If there is something you think you'd like to do, such as cover a local racing event, or interview a person of interest to our community, and then share it on this site, I encourage you to volunteer! We have an immediate need for another supermoderator (sorry capes not included!)

2) Provide Feedback! Although I formally ask for feedback a few times a year, if you have feedback for me, or for our administrative team on how to make this site better, more informative or just more fun for you and fellow members please provide us your feedback. You can provide feedback via email, PM or even our website feedback forum.

3) Participation! Yes, even just the act of participating in the forums by posting or replying to messages can help us focus on the needs of our members. Some of our members even prefer to participate in person at various events around the country. We have an immediate need for updating our FAQs to include new and changed information, if this is something you'd like to be a part of please let myself or one of our staff know and we'll help you get started.

Finally, I want to offer my apologies to any member that I may have confused, upset or not given enough time to in 2009, it is my personal goal to do better in 2010. As some of you may know my wife and I have both been out of work during most of 2009 which has placed a number of hardships upon our family. At times I'm sure I've let some of these hardships spill over into my administration (or lack thereof) of this site. This site has been our sole source of income during that period of time so I'm sure there have been times that I've been on the phone trying to convince a sponsor to renew or trying to sign up a new sponsor as opposed to answering questions in the forum. While I'm still searching for a new position, I am hopeful that one will come through soon and allow me to shift some of my personal activities back to focusing on the needs of our members.

I look forward to 2010 and our new direction and focus on the wants and needs of our members, afterall, without all of you, this site wouldn't exist!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles last year Ken. I hope 2010 will be much better for you personally. You have our full support here!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Glad to hear that the site is still going to be moving in a positive direction. Nice job last year Ken and here's to an even better 2010!!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Volunteer! Yes, we do need volunteers, whether it is to become a moderator and help with the day to day operations of the site or to become a columnist or reporter, photo journalist or even blogger for the site, we welcome all volunteers. If there is something you think you'd like to do, such as cover a local racing event, or interview a person of interest to our community, and then share it on this site, I encourage you to volunteer! We have an immediate need for another supermoderator (sorry capes not included!)
hey! here i am! i can do some of these and have some ideas/irons in the fire already. will send you specifics PM. :)

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Ken:

Best wishes for a spectacular 2010. I've been involved with enthusiasts sites since Buell did their first website in 1994 and it's given me an elevated appreciation for the voracious amount of work invovled. I've seen many of them come and go.

This site is one of the best maintained and moderated I've ever had the pleasure of participating in. I remain, at this point, "Cayman-less" but the folks here have convinced my wife and I that I not only want the car but we want the link to the fun and fine company.

The site looks better than ever so in addition to good karma for 2010 . . well . . mostly just a big "Thank You".

Court

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I look forward to 2010 and our new direction and focus on the wants and needs of our members, afterall, without all of you, this site wouldn't exist!
Ken, I beg to differ. Without you and your efforts (which I've witnessed since joining in 2006), this site would not only not exist, but we'd all probably be celebrating the new year over on Rennlist or 6speedonline.

In the last 3+ years that I've had the privilege of being a member here, I've been involved in many helpful discussions and heated arguments, participated in group buys, utilized many helpful install articles, and gotten some great ideas from other members on how to enhance my Cayman ownership experience. If there's anything I can do to help the site, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
While I am certain we would have prevailed had we fought over the domain name, even to win would have been to lose favor in the eyes of Porsche and that isn't something that I wanted for the site or its members and thus Planet-9 was born.
I've never understood this reasoning at all, especially if you thought you'd win. Porsche does this site no favors that I can see. As for losing favor in their corporate eyes, I'm not on board with that either. We're their customers, some spending well into six figures on various models. Frankly, I couldn't care less what Porsche's legal department thinks, I think their behavior in this matter was reprehensible (as was chasing after a shoe company), and I wish you would have fought them, won, and got legal fee damages from them.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Finally, I want to offer my apologies to any member that I may have confused, upset or not given enough time to in 2009, it is my personal goal to do better in 2010. As some of you may know my wife and I have both been out of work during most of 2009 which has placed a number of hardships upon our family.
Hoping you and the family have a better financial and less bureaucratic 2010!

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Ken,

I believe we sometimes forget the value this site brings to its members. When I sit back and think about how I, myself, have benefited from this site this past year alone, I came up with the following:

- sold parts through the classifieds
- saved money through sponsors
- saved money through group buys
- saved money performing my own mods with the help of this site
- troubleshoot problems
- saved money by avoiding bad products
- brought out great products
- put me in touch with many great members/sponsors
- entertainment value alone is priceless

I'm sure my wife does not see some of these things as "benefits" but my view is, just imagine how much more I would have spent without this site. :)

My only negative is, what seems to be, a stronger bias towards sponsor products. I understand the reasoning behind it as sponsors are paying customers but it is just something I've noticed more and more.

With that said, I believe this is a good time for members, like myself, to reflect on how we've benefited from this site and to consider making a donation because without donations, its moderators, its members and especially Ken, this site would not be where it is today.

Ken, good luck to you and your family. I'm sure 2010 will be better in all aspects.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Thank you Ken. Visiting this forum has been a wonderful part of my daily life in the past 3.5 years. Keep up the good work. Happy New Year to you and your family.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Ken,

I believe we sometimes forget the value this site brings to its members. When I sit back and think about how I, myself, have benefited from this site this past year alone, I came up with the following:

- sold parts through the classifieds
- saved money through sponsors
- saved money through group buys
- saved money performing my own mods with the help of this site
- troubleshoot problems
- saved money by avoiding bad products
- brought out great products
- put me in touch with many great members/sponsors
- entertainment value alone is priceless

I'm sure my wife does not see some of these things as "benefits" but my view is, just imagine how much more I would have spent without this site. :)

My only negative is, what seems to be, a stronger bias towards sponsor products. I understand the reasoning behind it as sponsors are paying customers but it is just something I've noticed more and more.

With that said, I believe this is a good time for members, like myself, to reflect on how we've benefited from this site and to consider making a donation because without donations, its moderators, its members and especially Ken, this site would not be where it is today.

Ken, good luck to you and your family. I'm sure 2010 will be better in all aspects.

-Moto
Well said Moto, and something I never really thought about myself. I've benefited from the site, too, so it seems fair to give a little back and donate to help keep the site up and running. The donate button is conveniently on the right-hand side of the page, too! ;)

Good luck in 2010 Ken!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would add another benefit of this site: Allowing new Porsche owners to feel like they are part of a great family. The love of outstanding cars is just one of the things we have in common; respect, sincerity and genuine concern are all aspects that I have discerned from the members here.

Even though I just purchased my first Porsche recently (and it is now in storage), I hope to participate more frequently when it warms up a little here. Trust me, Nebraska winters can be difficult!!

Things are looking up in 2010 - Thanks and good luck Ken

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Although at times i myself may digress to the dark side with some of my posts.It is the higher standard and inherit integrety of this sight that atracts me to it. I had ventured over to 6speed online,and that lasted about a New York minute.It is due to the work of you (Ken) and your moderators past and present that the likes of myself really enjoy this sight. I look forward to the continued high standard of moderation and content and i hope that 2010 is a properous, healthy sucessfull year for you and your family.Thanks.....

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Hope 2010 is a better year for ken and family :) I am sure it will be .
This is still the best Porsche site on the net no doubt ,how many times have we all seen those infamous words on all the other sites "If you go to the Planetporsche site you can get that answer" or find that product ,especially if you own a Cayman or Boxster .
Personally this site has made me a more knowledgeable and mature person on and off the site.This being my first Porsche I owe Ken and all the moderators a BIG thank you. If there is anything I can ever do to help this site I would be gratefully at your service.
:cheers: to 2010 Planet9 is getting better all the time ;)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ken,

Well said and an excellent idea. My donation is on the way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Keep up the good work Ken. Best of luck making things happen down the road. Still my favorite website.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ken, I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you and your wife have faced in 2009. I hope you'll both land somewhere great soon, and that 2010 will be a much better year for your family.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts