Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question as a newbie here, and, of course, thanks in advance for any assistance. I am very close to picking up a Cayman - either an '07 or a '10 (deciding between leasing and owning). I live in NYC and am lucky enough to have parking in my building. Unfortunately, there are no outlets anywhere close to my parking space, so a plug- in battery tender is not really a feasible solution. My question is, apart from starting the car every five days (could be tough some times) or leaving the car unlocked with the windows down (not gonna happen!), what other options do I have?

Hope to post pics, etc. soon. BTW, for you NYC'ers - what has been the best dealership to use?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
565 Posts
I picked up my dad's new '09 Cayman from the dealer over a month ago, since he's in Afghanistan. I've taken it out and driven it one time since it's been at his house. There were no problems with it at all.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Not quite sure how to solve your battery issue yet. Just starting the car won't do enough to recharge the battery without a long drive (10 miles at least) afterwards.

In terms of dealers, I've heard bad things about Manhatten Motorcars. You'll find a bunch of decent ones in NJ and Long Island.

Ray Catena
Huntington
Paul Miller

should all be on your short list.

Check out the Nor'Easter section when you get a chance, that's where all the locals hang out.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'd say get yourself a portable battery jumper and get familiar with how to pop the hood via the fusebox and jump the car if the battery ever dies on you.

That's probably the best thing to do given your circumstances...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would suggest to ask the folks at Manhatten Motorcars (even if you don't plan on buying from them), they likely deal with the situation all the time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm headed over to Manhattan Motors (or a nearby Jersey dealer?) on Saturday to see what deals they can put together and will ask them this same question.

-Jeff

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought my first Porsche (New 07 Cayman S) back in 2007 from Manhattan Motorcars and they were a great dealer to work with. At the time, I was only 24 and NO LOCAL DEALER would ever take me seriously when working a deal out in person (I live in MD). We live in a day and age where young 20 somethings have millions to spare, but Manhattan Motorcars worked the deal and they could tell they were working with a young individual over the phone, but they closed the deal anyway (A copy of my license for the credit app helped too).

When I arrived at the dealer, I signed 3 pages and was out in less than 30 minutes... their showroom is impressive and I skipped the new car walkthrough...

How to know if a dealer is a class act? When they quote you a lease money factor, it really is the actual rate and not a jacked up rate just to pad their profits. This is a classic back door method they use without 90% of people knowing. Manhattan Motorcars didn't even use this method at the time...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I bought my first Porsche (New 07 Cayman S) back in 2007 from Manhattan Motorcars and they were a great dealer to work with. At the time, I was only 24 and NO LOCAL DEALER would ever take me seriously when working a deal out in person (I live in MD). We live in a day and age where young 20 somethings have millions to spare, but Manhattan Motorcars worked the deal and they could tell they were working with a young individual over the phone, but they closed the deal anyway (A copy of my license for the credit app helped too).

When I arrived at the dealer, I signed 3 pages and was out in less than 30 minutes... their showroom is impressive and I skipped the new car walkthrough...

How to know if a dealer is a class act? When they quote you a lease money factor, it really is the actual rate and not a jacked up rate just to pad their profits. This is a classic back door method they use without 90% of people knowing. Manhattan Motorcars didn't even use this method at the time...
A couple years ago, my wife and I had the same type of experience of lack of customer service when we were shoppin' at a Chevy dealership. We were in our mid 20's. Needless to say, they didn't get our business. This past April, we went to the local Porsche dealer, and we were treated like customers right from the beginning. I test drove a Carrera and a Cayman, and we left with the Cayman. Some dealers/salesmen understand that young people can afford nice things too.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent in this thread. Now back to your regular posting. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guess where I put the booster cables; the front trunk, of course. :crazy:
I'll move them under the passenger seat tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My 07 can sometimes go a few weeks w/o a start and have never had a problem... that said, I keep a PDF file of the manual on both my home and work PC just in case I need to know how to access things w/o being able to get in the car :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am in Manhattan as well. The first week I had my '08 Cayman S, the battery died after a week in the parking garage. Fortunately, Porsche Roadside Assistance was helpful. Since the hood was electronically locked, they had to engage the lock, then recharged my battery. I was concerned that this was going to be an ongoing issue, as I only drive my car on weekends. But knock on wood, it hasn't happened since. I guess the battery wasn't fully charged having been at the dealers lot for a while, even with my hour long drive back.

I had very good experiences with Paul Miller Porsche, and Pepe Porsche. Bought my Cayman from PM, and previously bought my Boxster from Pepe.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Just a quick question as a newbie here, and, of course, thanks in advance for any assistance. I am very close to picking up a Cayman - either an '07 or a '10 (deciding between leasing and owning). I live in NYC and am lucky enough to have parking in my building. Unfortunately, there are no outlets anywhere close to my parking space, so a plug- in battery tender is not really a feasible solution. My question is, apart from starting the car every five days (could be tough some times) or leaving the car unlocked with the windows down (not gonna happen!), what other options do I have?
I assume that you don't have exposure to much sun either (i.e. for a solar charger)?

I agree with Pistol Pete that probably a portable battery jumper is probably the best safeguard. I would get the kind with the 2 cables, not the kind that plugs into a 12V, so you can pop the front trunk using the jumper post in the fuse panel.

FWIW, many people have no problem restarting their cars after a couple of weeks - but as Pete said, just restarting it is insufficient to recharge the battery; you need to take if for a nice drive to recharge it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've left my 07 CS for 2 weeks, locked & covered, outside. It started just fine. However it was driven over 100 miles before doing this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean, if I have to take it out for a spin, I bet I can manage! I actually get decent sun - do you think a solar charger would work? There goes my outside cover though, huh?

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
there is a real simple solution....just drive it every day and enjoy it....don't worry about a charger or tender.....yes that's the ticket

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Good question. I used to have a solar charger years ago for my Audi. The battery lasted 5 years then croaked one day in winter. I drove that thing maybe once every two weeks.

After seeing how the fancy new CTEK maintainers work, I'm not sure if the solar panel was doing much of anything.

You can always extend the wire from the panel under the door then up and over the car cover so that light will still get to it.

I mean, if I have to take it out for a spin, I bet I can manage! I actually get decent sun - do you think a solar charger would work? There goes my outside cover though, huh?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How about installing a second battery? That would at least extend the drawdown time of the juice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Average temp where I live is 35C and currently 45-50Cwith relative humidity peaking at over 90%. Ambient temperature and humidity are not kind to batteries. As far as I know my 06 CS tip has never had a replacement battery since new and it was just checked to renew the Warranty with no issues reported. I have never charged the battery in the year I have owned her and It has less than 15,000 miles and on average I drive her probably 1 or 2 times a month mostly less than 10 miles a trip. So in my experience there is no issue with the Cayman battery.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Guess where I put the booster cables; the front trunk, of course. :crazy:
I'll move them under the passenger seat tomorrow.
Great place to keep the battery cables Also I'd dry run the jump start procedure using the manual so you are familar with it before the actual need arises.

I've left mine Cayman untouched up to three weeks at a time several times and have had only one time to jump start it. But after starting it, I drove it quite a distance to recharge the battery.

I understand the issue. comes from the array of electronics that remain running when we leav ethe locked car. THey just slowly drain the battery down.

Two final comments. When you get your new ride, really study the owner's manual. It has lots of nifty features. And second, may I suggest a mini-vacation away from the city, where you can enjoy driving your car. Drive safely Ed

·
Registered
671 Posts
Many times I have left my car unattended for several weeks without an issue. I wouldn't do that with a 3 year old stock battery though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts