Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, Forgive the very basic question, but hey, I have to start somewhere on my quest to find out more about the Cayman model! I am seriously looking at purchasing a Cayman next year and look forward to learning much from this website, but since the Cayman forum is categorized as 981/987 I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking at buying a 2009 or newer S. Perhaps certified pre-owned. Any way, thanks again.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Have fun with your search. Its not a job for the lazy or those that feel entitled. But this website has lots and lots of info.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
For a basic history of the Cayman, which started on the 2nd generation Boxster platform, see the Wikipedia page here: Porsche Cayman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original Boxster platform was the 986. When they did a major overhaul to come out with the 2nd generation Boxster, the platform was called 987 and that's when they started making the hardtop version... the Cayman.

In 2008 they made some changes to the platform, and so the 2009 models are called the 987.2.

In 2012, they released the 3rd generation Boxster (2nd generation Cayman) as a 2013 model. It was a major change. That's the 981. It's expected that the 2016 will see some changes to bring us the 981.2.

This is a VERY basic summary. So it sounds like you're looking for a 987.2 or maybe a 981 if it's not too expensive.

Reactions: alfaporsche

·
Registered
728 Posts
For a basic history of the Cayman...

In 2012, they released the 3rd generation Boxster (2nd generation Cayman) as a 2013 model. It was a major change. That's the 981.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 981 Cayman was not available in the U.S. as a 2013 model (But the 981 Boxster was)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Basic, fundamental difference (s)? How about 2.4" in wheelbase length, @ 1.4" in track width; if you are, or think.you might be a track person, way, way better brakes & cooling. If you are considering one with PDK, much better 2nd gen programing (adds sailing or coasting economy mode) in the 981). IMO just all round better suspension setups in the newer car which ever suspension choice you go with

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. That is great information. Yeah, so it sounds like I'm looking for a 987.2 like Wild Weasel said. Looks like I'm in the wrong forum then!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts