Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I am newbie in the Porsche world so looking for some guidance. I currently drive MB AMG C63S and interested in 981 Cayman S. Specifically White or Black with PDK. I am looking for some guidance on how to proceed with the process and any advice would be appreciated

1. Options - I have shortlisted some of the options that I would prefer to have. Do these sound reasonable. Anything that else that I should be looking for ?

20" wheels/PDLS/Sport Chrono/Sport Exhaust/PCM-Bose/14/18 way seats
PASM - Should this be a deal breaker?

2. Any specific things to look for in the car? Things that would point to impending failure needing big repair. Is there a way to see if car has been heavily tracked etc?

3. Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) - Any recommendation on PPI service? Do Porsche dealers do PPIs on car not being sold by them? National service like Lemon squad vs getting it personally done at some independent car shop? Do regular dealer accommodate PPI requests?

Apologies for the long post. I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest listed 981 is like 100 miles away so most likely it will be an out of state purchase which makes me little uncomfortable but on the other hand I am not in any hurry and can wait for the right car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I created a list of must have and nice to have options. My must haves were the colors I liked best, manual transmission, heated seats (because I love driving at night with windows down and exhaust open), and 14-way seats. I lucked out and found one on Carvana that had my minimums plus more. Since I’ve owned it I added sports suspension, sports exhaust, and short shifter. I’ve been really happy with it but I’ll probably add a backup camera and ECU tune before I’m finished. The nice thing about buying from Carvana is that the give a week to decide if you want to keep it, so the first day after delivery I took it to my local dealer and had a PPI done on it. It passed with flying colors. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Some answers, by question:

1. PASM - frankly, I still cannot feel the difference ON/OFF in street driving. I am also positive that I would have issues going up my driveway without it (10 mm more clearance doesn't sound like much until you need it). So, not a deal breaker which X73 (fixed sport suspension) could be if clearance is an every day issue.

2. Keep in mind that cars driven like a grandmother for no more than 3,000 miles per year might be in worse shape than cars tracked and properly maintained or overmaintained. Ask for service records. If there are 1 or more brake pads replacements per each year, chances are that was because of the racetrack.

From your options choices I am not sure what will be the main purpose of that car - classy GT cruiser or backroads bomber at the edge of losing DL. If the latter, consider trying to find a car with PTV option. These cars do not have locking differential by default.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some answers, by question:

1. PASM - frankly, I still cannot feel the difference ON/OFF in street driving. I am also positive that I would have issues going up my driveway without it (10 mm more clearance doesn't sound like much until you need it). So, not a deal breaker which X73 (fixed sport suspension) could be if clearance is an every day issue.

2. Keep in mind that cars driven like a grandmother for no more than 3,000 miles per year might be in worse shape than cars tracked and properly maintained or overmaintained. Ask for service records. If there are 1 or more brake pads replacements per each year, chances are that was because of the racetrack.

From your options choices I am not sure what will be the main purpose of that car - classy GT cruiser or backroads bomber at the edge of losing DL. If the latter, consider trying to find a car with PTV option. These cars do not have locking differential by default.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
I have sport suspension and a steep driveway and don’t scrape. The key is to angle the approach in and out. I also need to add that it handles the bumps quite well. Many people talk about how rigid SS is but my experience is that it is perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing which is very important to note here is about buying the used car. There are chances of being bluffed while entering the deal with the seller. So make sure to have an expert advice before you finalize the vehicle you gonna take home. Check car history either online or offline. I recently had a deal and I got the vehicle inspection done online as well as offline. Finalized it only after I had the complete satisfaction. You can instantly fetch the vehicle history using VIN number lookup on Quick Rev. It’s quite a user friendly process to get history reports like any pending payments, thefts, police issues, pending tickets like almost the full record till date. It is very important to know real / genuine info of the vehicle and if there is any discrepancy with what the seller tells you.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
727 Posts
One of the ways you can tell if a car has been tracked is by looking at the brake calipers. With heavy track use, they will start to turn a darker red/slightly violet shade and the lettering will yellow, as opposed to being bright red with bright white lettering. That said, as @CinciOH said, these cars like to be driven, not stuck in a garage. If the car isn't driven enough, seals and rubber components will deteriorate quicker.

Most Porsche people that track their cars also tend to take really good care of them. As much fun you have with them on the track, you want to return the love.

I purchased mine remote back in 2016. I flew from Dallas to Nashville to pick it up, and drove it back that afternoon. I was able to get the owner to have a PPI done at Porsche of Nashville. It had just been there a few weeks earlier for the 20K mile service.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello everyone!

I am newbie in the Porsche world so looking for some guidance. I currently drive MB AMG C63S and interested in 981 Cayman S. Specifically White or Black with PDK. I am looking for some guidance on how to proceed with the process and any advice would be appreciated

1. Options - I have shortlisted some of the options that I would prefer to have. Do these sound reasonable. Anything that else that I should be looking for ?

20" wheels/PDLS/Sport Chrono/Sport Exhaust/PCM-Bose/14/18 way seats
PASM - Should this be a deal breaker?

2. Any specific things to look for in the car? Things that would point to impending failure needing big repair. Is there a way to see if car has been heavily tracked etc?

3. Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) - Any recommendation on PPI service? Do Porsche dealers do PPIs on car not being sold by them? National service like Lemon squad vs getting it personally done at some independent car shop? Do regular dealer accommodate PPI requests?

Apologies for the long post. I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest listed 981 is like 100 miles away so most likely it will be an out of state purchase which makes me little uncomfortable but on the other hand I am not in any hurry and can wait for the right car.
There were roughly 5000 981 Cayman S built for the US market. Your configuration should not be too hard to find. Most of these have PDK.

18 way seats will be most difficult, that would limit you to about 20-40 vehicles of the 5000.

Sports exhaust can be added later, either Porsche or 3rd party

PASM is also relatively hard to find, about 5 to 10% will have this option.

There are several whites and several blacks. My 981 is Basalt Black which is metallic as is Carrera White.

Sport Chrono is at least twice as prevalent as PASM.

with 14 way seats, you should look for option P9B or even better P9D, they will include BOSE, heated seats, PDLS. P9D adds cooled seats and I think Entry and Drive (push button start, though not actually a push button)

Visit vinanalytics.com where you enter the VIN and it will tell you which options were built on the car. Beware, some may have been removed or modified by previous owners.

Don't be scared off the 2014 models, you will save about $4k to 5k per model year older than 2016. Mine is 2014, one of the first ones off the production line and it has been rock solid.

·
Registered
2015 (981) Cayman GTS
3 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want. That’s a good thing. The PDK basic steering wheel is horrible in my opinion. The sport wheel has the paddles and makes all the difference to me. It can be fitted later at your cost though.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi. I have a 981 BS with most of your wishlist: 20" wheels/PDLS/Sport Chrono/PCM-Bose/18 way seats/PASM

I had a non-PASM (base) 981 previously. Would not let PASM keep me from the car I wanted. PASM feels different in hard corners, takes getting used to. But the base suspension was plain brilliant, and I did not have to learn to trust it. To be clear: PASM rides a little higher than X-73 and base rides a little higher than PASM.

One general advisory: Because of the Porsche spec process, it is hard to judge what you really want until you actually drive one a while. PASM was not on my wish list, but the car has a bunch of other stuff I did want. Crazy FAST...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2015 S. It does not have PASM, or PTV or Sport Exhaust. It does have Sports Chrono and PDK. Like previous posters - you can add PSE or your own exhaust to your liking later. I have tracked it twice and I had a ball watching Vettes in my rear view mirror on the corners :))), never knew what (if anything ) i was missing with PASM not being there. And for day to day and weekend mountain runs,.,, I doubt you would either. Same for PTV. Agree with find your color, in the condition you want and go for it quickly, they are indeed getting popular as they are the last Flat 6 offered for a while that are very affordable. If you want a little more grunt - then get a Cobb tune and if you want it more for the track get the X.73 retrofitted (if it does not have it already). The standard suspension is killer, Porsche does not make throw away entry level anything in my opinion. Enjoy and do not look back!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
18 way seats will be most difficult, that would limit you to about 20-40 vehicles of the 5000 .... PASM is also relatively hard to find, about 5 to 10% will have this option ... Sport Chrono is at least twice as prevalent as PASM.
Interesting, where do you find these stats?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts