Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I recently became the Owner of a 1987 Carrera Cabriolet. I was an Alfa Romeo Owner for the past 30 years but when My Dad said he was ready to pass on his 911 that he had owned since new I decided to upgrade to a Porsche. He had not driven the car since 2010 and it had 121k original miles. I was wondering if someone could give me some advise on opening the convertible top. When I press the rocker switch it makes a click but the top does not go down. I'm not sure how to do it manually so I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. Todd
911-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Todd--welcome to the club. Just in case you don't get an answer here, you might also try rennlist.com, where the number of 911 owners is probably greater.

Good luck with the car, and short of you deciding to become an "air-cooled snob":))), you'll find lots of friendly help here on P-9. I know I have.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Hi Everyone, I recently became the Owner of a 1987 Carrera Cabriolet. I was an Alfa Romeo Owner for the past 30 years but when My Dad said he was ready to pass on his 911 that he had owned since new I decided to upgrade to a Porsche. He had not driven the car since 2010 and it had 121k original miles. I was wondering if someone could give me some advise on opening the convertible top. When I press the rocker switch it makes a click but the top does not go down. I'm not sure how to do it manually so I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. Todd
View attachment 59114
Welcome Todd to P9 and congrats for your beautiful gem. We all have a crush for classic 911s. We have classic 911 owners among us who'll chime in here to answer your question.

First thing I'd recommend is handing your jewel to the dealer for full service since it hasn't been driven since 2010. Make sure you check oil levels before driving it. Otherwise tow it.

Have the the dealer check all its mechanics, electronics, oil, belts and filters... etc..I'm sure they'll give you a quick intro about its features too.

I look forward for the pictures and your feedback about the drive. I sure you know it takes time to master driving classics in case you are only used to modern cars.

Enjoy it and good luck

Reactions: rjpeaks and 2015CS

·
Registered
625 Posts
View attachment 59114
Very nice and congrats. In case you're not aware, 1987 is the first year of the coveted G50 transmission that is a much nicer shifter (than previous) and makes the '87 - '89 Carreras more desirable. And I keep reading that the 3.2L flat-six engine is bullet proof. (I just got mine a couple of months ago and with 140 Kmiles, the engine leak-down test was perfect and it runs like a Swiss watch.)

The electric top motor will only operate with the ignition key in the accessory position ("position 1") and the engine not running. (See page 51 of the owners manual if you have one.) If it does not work like this it may need repair (check fuses.) Page 52 gives instructions on how to manually operate the electric top in the case that motors do not work. They call this "emergency operation" and tools are required. You'd probably do this procedure to get an open roof closed until it can be repaired. The system has motors in the front that lock the top to the top of the windshield and motors in the back that raise and lower the top. Also, install the Tonneau cover when driving with the top down else the wind will (eventually) damage the headliner.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
^ thank you Terry for jumping to our rescue. Now your car has company at P9 ;)

Reactions: TerrySmith

·
Registered
625 Posts
. . . First thing I'd recommend is handing your jewel to the dealer for full service since it hasn't been driven since 2010. Make sure you check oil levels before driving it. Otherwise tow it.

Have the the dealer check all its mechanics, electronics, oil, belts and filters... etc..I'm sure they'll give you a quick intro about its features too. . .
I would modify this slightly and recommend that you find an independent Porsche-only repair shop rather than a dealer. I'm not sure where you are in California, but the independents are pretty easy to find in the SF Bay Area and LA Area. You can go to Rennlist forum or join PCA to get recommendations.

Most of these guys have been working these Porsches for years and probably know these old cars better than the mechanics at a Porsche dealer who are trained on the newer cars. They are also less expensive and use real Porsche parts but their livelihood depends on their word-of-mouth reputation and so they're not inclined to do bad work.

The service experience is not the same - they have no loaner cars (although my shop - Modderman - will drive me home when I drop off my car) and they don't wash your car for you. They may or may not have some bad coffee available. No business cubes with free WiFi, big screen TVs or pastries and good coffee like at a Lexus service center. But you can walk right into the shop and talk to the guy while they are working on your car (in some shops depending on their insurance).

Hopefully your dad has service records that can give you a good starting point.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Congrats, a classic beauty. Agreed, posting on Rennlist forum can help!
Also, Pelican is a great resource for parts, repair instructions and technical discussions if you want to work on your car yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I would modify this slightly and recommend that you find an independent Porsche-only repair shop rather than a dealer. I'm not sure where you are in California, but the independents are pretty easy to find in the SF Bay Area and LA Area. You can go to Rennlist forum or join PCA to get recommendations.

Most of these guys have been working these Porsches for years and probably know these old cars better than the mechanics at a Porsche dealer who are trained on the newer cars. They are also less expensive and use real Porsche parts but their livelihood depends on their word-of-mouth reputation and so they're not inclined to do bad work.

The service experience is not the same - they have no loaner cars (although my shop - Modderman - will drive me home when I drop off my car) and they don't wash your car for you. They may or may not have some bad coffee available. No business cubes with free WiFi, big screen TVs or pastries and good coffee like at a Lexus service center. But you can walk right into the shop and talk to the guy while they are working on your car (in some shops depending on their insurance).

Hopefully your dad has service records that can give you a good starting point.
I may not be the right Knight for a classic 911. But trust every time I see the 'star' in your signature you bring back my teen days. And these memories flirt with my heart deeply.

If one day I buy a classic, it would because of your signature's temptation.

God bless... Keep posting. I don't get enough of it. Enjoy it for long safe happy miles, Terry.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I may not be the right Knight for a classic 911. But trust every time I see the 'star' in your signature you bring back my teen days. And these memories flirt with my heart deeply.

If one day I buy a classic, it would because of your signature's temptation.

God bless... Keep posting. I don't get enough of it. Enjoy it for long safe happy miles, Terry.
Thank you, sir. I will likely never get an opportunity to come to where you live and see your new turbo (although I did get to the UAE in 2007) but if you ever come to Northern California, let me know and we can take a little back-road tour. Maybe dig up a couple other local P-9ers to join us.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the tips and encouragement. I found a decent local mechanic already who helped me get it running after it had sat for 5 years. I am going to contact him after the weekend and see if he can get it going. I do have the service records and it has only been serviced at the Rusnak Porsche Dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA over the past 25 years but I think my local guy can handle the future work. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the tips and encouragement. I found a decent local mechanic already who helped me get it running after it had sat for 5 years. I am going to contact him after the weekend and see if he can get it going. I do have the service records and it has only been serviced at the Rusnak Porsche Dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA over the past 25 years but I think my local guy can handle the future work. Thanks again everyone.
Please post here what you find out about the top and other things you find. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke to Steve in Service at the Rusnak dealership and his recommendation was to NOT try to fiddle with the manual release as it would possibly make it more difficult to fix the problem. He recommended going to a mechanic I trusted to to them to get it fixed properly. The good news is at least it is stuck in the up position. I will take it the the German Import mechanic who helped get it all sorted out after sitting all those years and see what he thinks the problems and keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the tips.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
That's it?!! :(

You're planning to keep us in the dark with no pictures in & out?!! A video teaser perhaps?

If you don't post the pictures, we have to mail you the bill for our consultation fees. Or should I call my lawyer? ;)

Reactions: 2015CS
1 - 20 of 21 Posts